Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams, December 20, 2019) Movie • Page 147

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Yeah I agree. Didnt intend it that way. As much as I love DBZ, that whole "power level" super power stuff is exactly what I want to avoid in Star Wars.

coleslawed and Jason Tate like this.
  2. Davjs

Trusted

When the trailer first dropped, I heard a lot of "it's Kylo in the ship". If that's true, maybe he is still raging so hard he's not thinking clear like at the end of TLJ when he was just rage crazy?

teebs41 likes this.
  3. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I just think the Skywalker saga should end with the Skywalker name not going out as a villain. Reading what you’d said, though, I’m going more on the fence of Ben’s redemption and the lineage. Ben dying before being brought back to the light side would be a good contrast to Vader and shows what happens when someone like Luke or Rey can’t bring them back.

4. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

TROS is going to be 3 hours of Kylo trying to catch Rey, Wile E Coyote / Roadrunner style.

coleslawed, Kyle Max and Dodger like this.
  5. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I think this is so true as really the only reason the prequels exist. If George Lucas hadn't done that quirky thing with the movie Star Wars in 1977 we probably would have gotten a sequel trilogy in '99-'05 as opposed to a prequel trilogy.

This would definitely explain the tactical error of trying to run someone down in a spaceship that has powerful laser beams.

Davjs likes this.
  6. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, I also still don't think he literally had 3 full movies planned out in his head when he changed it to Episode IV. It would have been so much better if the original trilogy was just I, II, and III and then he could have made one prequel or even a prequel miniseries for HBO or something instead of three big turds.

coleslawed and Brother Beck like this.
  7. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

A New Hope was much later re-titled to Episode 4 ya dinguses

edit: wait wtf it was re-titled in ‘81? Lucas is really a goon

teebs41 likes this.
  8. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

But did the movie always start with 'Episode IV' in the opening crawl...??? I legitimately do not know, but I always thought it did.

9. Kylo Ren being a villain and coming from Solo/Skywalker doesn't mean the entire Skywalker name is 'going out that way.' I think the legend of Luke is still very much a thing in the galaxy. Why does Kylo Ren's failures matter in that regard? I don't think that really matters.

I mean, in the EU, now Legends, the last Skywalker ... I think was Cade?

But, Jacen Solo-Skywalker's turn to Darth Caedus, while I hated to see because I always route for all Jacen/Jason/Jaysons, but it's not like made me think "Skywalker's name is going out as a villain" and it's ruined. The entire branch of Skywalkers in the OG EU were all over the place in range from good to bad to fucking evil.

coleslawed and oakhurst like this.
  10. Star Wars opening crawl - Wikipedia
    When originally released in May 1977, the first film was simply titled Star Wars, as 20th Century Fox forbade Lucas to use a subtitle because it could be confusing, since there had been no other Star Wars movies prior to 1977.[1][7] In addition, it was not certain if the film would be followed with a sequel. When The Empire Strikes Back was released in 1980, the episode number, "Episode V", and subtitle "THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK" appeared as the first two lines of the opening crawl. To match its sequel's crawl, the episode number "Episode IV" and subtitle "A NEW HOPE" were added for the film's theatrical re-release in April 1981.[11]

Brother Beck likes this.
  11. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

There's a note on the Wiki saying that Episode IV was on a fourth re-write or something a couple years before the movie came out, but still, I don't buy that he had 3 full movies actually written out or even anything more than a vague idea of what they would be.

12. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

looks up Cade Skywalker

oh ok they made an edgy hair metal Skywalker in the comics

*vomits

13. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Oh wow - I was always under the impression that the movie Star Wars released in 1977 always started off with an opening crawl that referred to itself as Episode IV: A New Hope. You learn something new every day. I knew everybody called it Star Wars in conversation and everything like posters and all that, but I thought the movie always started that way.

Reason #4,563 why I hate when people go back and fuck with movies after the fact and don't have the original version available too.

14. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I never bought that Lucas had much to do with why the films were/are so great to me. He wrote a handful of great characters and their origin stories, but the best things about Star Wars to me weren't even his doing, for the most part.

Brother Beck likes this.
  15. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

To be clear, he deserves a ton of credit and respect for what he did create originally. My last post came off much more hateful than intended.

16. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I love how people making and releasing movies are always so afraid of confusing audiences. I was maybe 5 or 6 the first time I saw Star Wars, and I asked my father if there were ones before it after I asked him what the 'IV' in the opening crawl meant and he said that was the Roman Numeral for the number 4. He was like 'nope, this is the first one' and I dropped it and moved on.

17. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Don't worry my friend, he has $6,100,000,000.00 to soften the blow.

coleslawed and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  18. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I'd agree, but didn't he donate all of that after he sold everything?

Brother Beck likes this.
  19. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Brother Beck likes this.
  20. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  21. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

That sounds interesting. I’ve heard of Jacen/Darth Caedus before but I haven’t read up on the story. I’m going to check it out. Is his character sort of like Ben Solo?

22. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m not sure what I actually expect or want from his conclusion, but Kylo being a 100% evil supervillain is just as boring to me for this trilogy as Luke being 100% pure and heroic and faultless would have been.

23. I haven't read those books since like ... 2002 or something? so I don't remember everything. But, yes, to some degree. Powerful, good at first, turns and goes super evil. He has twin Jaina. And little brother Anakin.

The Ben in the EU was a Skywalker and Luke and Mara Jade's child. I'm sure he was tempted at some point

24. Loved Mara Jade in the EU

Jason Tate likes this.
  25. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Personally I would’ve liked Rey to be “adopted” into the solo clan, but that’s just because I loved Jacen and Jaina.