Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson, December 15, 2017) Movie • Page 39

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Mar 14, 2016.

1. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Both are Lucasfilm I believe, but I think (could be wrong) both were prior to the acquisition by Disney. That's why I'm wondering, they did things other than Star Wars and Indy when Lucas owned it, but it doesn't seem like they've been thinking about that since being bought (which, of course makes sense for now).

2. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I don't think it's likely, but I it's something they haven't ruled out. Unless Leia was already being killed in VIII, it would be just as weird to have her not appear at all in IX.

3. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I'm honestly baffled by that.

I feel exceedingly confident that recasting her was never on the table. It was always: CGI her into the film (which would involve casting a double) or write her out of the film.

They are doing the latter.

But they were never recasting Leia for Episode 9. If it crossed someone's mind for a second in those offices, I would honestly be surprised.

4. bodkins

Trusted

Always baffles me when people think this is even a remote possibility.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  5. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I don't think it would happen, but I'm baffled that anyone would think it wasn't even discussed.

6. bodkins

Trusted

Three baffle posts in a row. That's what's up.

Baffle.

7. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I think she will be killed in episode 9 scroll

8. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I dunno, that seems like it would be a bit of a disservice to the character. I think if Leia appears in XI, it would be with voice over through a comms unit giving orders. Or a quick shot of her in a command center, but only the back of her with one of those bun hairdos (kind of like the shot we see in the Last Jedi trailer). To be clear, if they were to recast, that's all I think it would be. Not full on scenes. Just nods to the character still being involved in the story in someway.

Tim likes this.
  9. Seeing the trailer for this on the big screen last night was pretty awesome.

coleslawed and scottlechowicz like this.
  10. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Ah. Well, that makes a lot more sense now. haha

aoftbsten likes this.
  11. ship90

Trusted

I love this

12. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Mark Hamill is a national treasure

13. Dodge725

Trusted

Saw the trailer again in front of Guardians and still got chills watching it. Why can't it be December already!

14. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Adam Scott is a national treasure too: book of secrets

15. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

The Overnight

16. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Just to clarify....did Trevorrow even write JW? The directing was ok, but the script was shit.

17. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

There are 7 credited writers on IMDB and he is one of them.

18. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

lol Jesus 7 people couldn't make that thing interesting or not sexist?

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  19. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

7 people all overwriting each other and not having a cohesive idea is what made the story shallow and less interesting. Movie was still an amazing amount of fun and the aesthetic was right on point with the first one in my humblest opinion.

20. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I mean JW was pretty terrible but it's an OK blockbuster. Weird and uneven film. There's plenty of recent films of its type, and of similar or worse quality, that are heralded that leave me scratching my head.

21. Greg

While it's not always true... Generally the more writers there are the worse it is.

22. Greg

It's problem is that without nostalgia it has very little to offer. The fight at the end is fun in a turn your brain off way. But everything else? The characters are flat and boring. Even Pratt is barely likable. The "plot" is just the first movie with an active open park, which offers a little bit new, but not much. The visuals are cheapened by relying too much on ineffective CG. The first movie has had the best effects out of the whole franchise, that's a problem.

After a first viewing and the nostalgia fades, you are left with a very shallow stupid movie.

23. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Agreed. I wouldn't bother arguing any of those points. I just think it's issues are the very same issues that pretty much all of the big studio modern blockbusters have.

24. Greg

Which ones?

25. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Any of the ones with:

-who cares characters

-no motif

-blown out of any proportion, completely asinine plots

-plot holes for dinner

I don't think I wanna be accused of flaming by naming