Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson, December 15, 2017) Movie • Page 388

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Mar 14, 2016.

1. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Rogue One is the best Disney-era SW, imo. I like the sequel trilogy, but RO felt like getting a thirst-quenching fresh cup of water. The characters were new, but they were brought together by a struggle that was fought for by characters I grew up with and knew.

JoshIsMediocre likes this.
  2. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

It’s 3rd best of the Disney stuff so far. Maybe 4th even. Not bad though. TFA and TLJ are just much better. Solo? Eh probably below Rogue zone based on its third act alone. But you could argue is a more consistently solid fun film. Either way those two shake out, there is an absurdly huge gap between them and TROS, the clear worst Disney film on every level.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  3. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

TFA, RO, and TLJ are the only Disney-era films I'd watch again, which 3/5 isn't that bad. TFA is fun for a premise that was already covered, although it plays it close to the chest. TLJ is rewatchable because it tries something new, regardless of if what it tries is accepted or not, it at least is a fresh breath. I can appreciate that and it helps after watching the generic formula in TFA. RO, I can't really think of a con off the top of my head. It's just what I wanted but not what I entirely expected, while also carrying the core struggle of the first 6 films.

4. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

i really really dislike Rogue One

5. Greg

I mean, I get it. The third act works well enough that it saves the movie for me. But I get not liking it overall, too.

6. AndrewSoup

i just find the characters so one-dimensional, none of them really feel like they have a convincing arc or motivation. i end up not really caring too much about the third act emotionally, beyond the spectacle of the very good set piece

7. Greg

Totally makes sense. The character I was most invested in as a realized character was the droid. I’m totally blanking in its name. Oopsies.

AndrewSoup likes this.
  8. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I really like Chirrut Îmwe and Baze Malbus. Guardian of the Whills type of Force monks is something I had long wanted to see. I’d love to see more of them.

coleslawed likes this.
  9. tomdelonge

Trusted

They’re def really cool in concept, but they come out a little too much like saturday morning cartoon characters in the movie.

It’s a sometimes clumsy, fun enough movie. Cool star wars battle

10. AndrewSoup

was it K2S0 or something like that?

honestly, those are the two i really WANTED to like, but they just didn't feel fleshed out at all

11. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

RO is definitely better than Solo

David87, coleslawed, Cameron and 2 others like this.
  12. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

honestly i really think theyre as deep (or not deep) as any other character from this type of thing

13. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

coleslawed, Crisp X, Orla and 3 others like this.
  14. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

I thought all Disney-Era movies were good with two notable exceptions.

Rise of Skywalker was dogshit, and The Last Jedi was transformative.

coleslawed and WanderingSquall like this.
  15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

16. Dodge725

Trusted

He should be. It’s the best SW movie and I think will only age better with time for the reasons he states in that article.

17. justin. Aug 30, 2022
    (Last edited: Aug 30, 2022)
    justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

10 years from now it will probably be remembered better for pushing the box for what a SW film is.

But.... Rogue One will be remembered as the best SW

18. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Sorry, but the Best Star Wars is MTV Unplugged in New York.

19. AndrewSoup

the Last Jedi is and will always be, that bitch

and rogue one will always be remembered by me by the disappointing "what could have been"

dlemert, WanderingSquall and Zilla like this.
  20. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

[​IMG]

21. Greg

Rogue One is a weird experiment where they said, “let’s do something different BUT not too different. And let’s throw in member berries just to be sure it’s not too different.”

it’s weird. I like the movie and will always praise the third act but it will never and should never be seen as the best Star Wars. It’s 3rd best from Disney and like 6th overall.

22. Greg

Meanwhile, the Last Jedi is incredible and all the haters should go eat dirt.

23. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

The Last Jedi is transcendent.

24. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

The worst thing about the sequels imo is the way they portrayed Luke. After everything he went through and learned in the OG trilogy it's hard to imagine him ever being like what we got in the sequels.

I personally would have much preferred a slightly different take on the sequel books. Granted the OG cast were too old to pick it up directly.

25. Greg

LOL Luke is perfect. His story makes so so so much sense after what we see in the OT and where we find him in TFA.

Crisp X, Orla, theagentcoma and 7 others like this.