Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson, December 15, 2017) Movie • Page 377

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Mar 14, 2016.

1. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Avoid social media and Star Wars fans aren’t that bad

Furry Werthers, Jacob Tender and Orla like this.
  2. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

okay, if i were to let wishful thinking get the best of me, i'd speculate that he "accidentally" confirmed his trilogy by liking this tweet

coleslawed and scottlechowicz like this.
  3. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

i mean, he ain't DENYING it!

4. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Hard disagree. Two people at work were so obsessed with talking shit on TLJ, it actively killed my enthusiasm for Star Wars for several years.

theagentcoma likes this.
  5. NitrateDawn

Regular

Yeah I used to think it was just an internet thing but out of everyone in my life I’ve talked to about TLJ only 1 person doesn’t hate it unfortunately

6. Took me a while to work it out, but most people’s complaints about Star Wars movies are as shallow as my love for them is deep.

Watch / read on your own, find friends that love it for the same (or better, different) reasons, and if you *have to* engage with dorks that shit on things, challenge them to talk about something in the movie that they did enjoy.

7. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I guess I’m lucky then. The people I know who like the films will say if they dislike or like one of the films but that’s about it. They won’t hate on any film over and over. We just discuss things we usually like about stars wars.

8. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

similar anecdote that SW fans are a good fandom irl.

on a scale from 0% to “pop punk fandom” how large do you think the asshole problem is with SW fans? I think it’s smaller and more vocal.

9. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

I still haven’t encountered anyone irl who likes The Last Jedi. No one I’ve spoken with has outright hated it either, but they’ve all expressed considerable disappointment that almost always boils down to TLJ being neither what they expected nor had hoped for.

I personally think fan service not being a priority in TLJ allowed for a much stronger and more interesting story than it would have been otherwise, but the bulk of Star Wars’ audience isn’t writers and cinephiles—it’s casual fans and SW diehards, to whom the relative lack of action, a cynical Luke Skywalker, Rey’s parents being nobodies, etc. feels too left-field and jarring.

It’s a shame it wasn’t generally better received, and especially unfortunate the backlash online was so intense. SW can be such a rich experience when it pushes boundaries and prompts critical thinking like TLJ. When we get movies like TROS, there’s really nothing gained but content.

aoftbsten and NitrateDawn like this.
  10. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Me and my friend who saw it together adored it and still think it’s our favorite movie-going experience ever, most likely. The only other 2 friends I talked to about it thought it was ok, but through incessant conversations they’ve come around and shaken off their criticisms of it. I’m blessed

smowashere and Orla like this.
  11. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

the majority of my small group of friends doesn’t love TLJ (or TROS) but they’re not alt right trolls or I wouldn’t be friends with them and there is a universe between each of these things

Furry Werthers likes this.
  12. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Most of my friends were not very fond of TLJ but they didn’t hate it. They just don’t prefer watching it much. Same with TROS

13. It's obviously fine to not like something (and conversely like something) but the very ends of those spectrums are very vocal and make star wars fandom tiresome. The people who are really vocal and argumentative about loving this movie annoy me as much as the opposite. Just like or don't like something don't argue about it.

xDumpweed182x likes this.
  14. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

15. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Ah so there is still Star Wars content worth being excited for, nice

soggytime and Orla like this.
  16. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Obviously someone has forgotten about the LEGO Star Wars Skywalker Saga video game releasing this year

17. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

07B2B1D2-B537-4D49-ADDC-758AD3EC6AD7.jpeg

what could go wrong

18. Tired: arguing about TLJ being good or not
    Wired: arguing about Rian Johnson's future trilogy further ruining Star Wars

star wars fans suck

Zilla, neo506 and mescalineeyes like this.
  19. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

lol yeah I saw that trend description on Twitter, that’s a big nope from me. Not reading any of those takes

scottlechowicz and Sean Murphy like this.
  20. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Imagine knowing Rise of Skywalker exists and continuing to argue about whether or not The Last Jedi is bad.

21. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

I mean I think the argument goes that Rise is bad because it was impossible to follow up TLJ.

That said Star Wars fandom is fucked in the head and I want no part of it.

Craig Manning likes this.
  22. This argument was stupid a year ago, it's stupid today, and it'll be stupid forever. Who cares? It's objective and no amount of discussion will change what already exists. Folks gotta learn to focus their energy better.

Jason Tate likes this.
  23. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Star Wars fans be like

The Mandalorian being glorified fan service (still love the show though): OMG I LOVE STAR WARS

Rian making more movies after making one of the best in the franchise: LOLOLOLOL RUIN JOHNSON AND A WOMAN I NEVER MET OR HEARD OF PRIOR KILLED STAR WARS AND RUINED MY LIFE

mescalineeyes likes this.
  24. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

Star Wars fans be like

"Kennedy assassination is good actually just get the right one ;) ;) ;)"

25. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

There's going to be a re-evaluation of Rise of Skywalker in a few years where people say it's good actually, much like what has inexplicably happened with the prequels in recent years. It's going to suck.