Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson, December 15, 2017) Movie • Page 374

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Mar 14, 2016.

1. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Posted this in the TROS thread but it’s relevant here too

2. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

plz

3. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Wouldst yousa like to live deliciously?

coleslawed, airik625 and aoftbsten like this.
  5. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

6. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

coleslawed, Joe, Cameron and 5 others like this.
  7. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

way nicer than i would be

Cameron and Zilla like this.
  8. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

He’s a classy guy. Though I’m willing to admit he actually did have fun with it too.

coleslawed and Dodger like this.
  9. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

i'm leaning towards him simply being professional about it

aoftbsten likes this.
  11. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

I read DOTF in full, and while it could still use some tweaking, it for sure is a better movie on paper than TROS.

Brother Beck likes this.
  12. Oh whoops this isn't the thread for The Rise of Skywalker hahaha. I haven't read Duel of the Fates, so I'm going off of Jenny's video. I think The Last Jedi did so well at subverting expectations/tropes that DotF would've been just as disappointing to me as TROS, although maybe DotF would've required less/smaller changes to make it work.

13. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Read the DotF script, excited to hear Jenny's take. I don't think the script as a whole is exceptional but there are some great aspects to it (mainly Finn's arc and everything with Rose). I appreciate that it at least tries to build off the first two movies though.

14. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

The ST feels a lot like the Mass Effect Trilogy to me. I love those games, and they hit a lot of potential in story beats and exploring that universe, but even with Mass Effect 3 being a genuinely well made and great game, something about the way they pulled it all together didn't reach the potential of what could have been. Left fans wanting.

The vibe of the ST feels the same to me. There are things to love about all three films, and I genuinely love TFA and TLJ, and many points within TROS hit me where they needed to. I had a great time with the movie, a great time with the lore, and a great time with the characters... but when the credits roll on TROS, there remains this overwhelming feeling of not quite being satisfied with what we got. TFA laid the initial ground work for sure, and it makes sense what it led us to, but the excited feeling of vast potential I felt in 2015 came down with a pretty good thud in TROS (still in spite of my really enjoying what it did).

15. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Great as always. Granted, almost anything is going to sound worse when Jenny reads it with that much snark, but she really highlights how bad the Poe/Rey stuff is and just how much this script misses the mark with Rey and Kylo.

16. The most disappointing thing about The Rise of Skywalker for me was that Rose was sidelined so hard. One of my favorite things about The Last Jedi was that Kelly was in it; I was so proud that we had a Viet actress in such a visible franchise. It hurt that the fans' response to Canto Bight was already so negative with people calling that side plot pointless, but for JJ to actually make Rose completely useless in the next film was just, ugh

Like, yeah, Trevorrow missed the mark with Rey/Poe and Rey/Kylo, but at least he gave Rose something to do. (and his backstory for Rey was marginally better than making her a Palpatine, like wtf JJ)

17. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

justin., coleslawed, Crisp X and 9 others like this.
  18. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

For all the faults, the prequel trilogy is an excellent depiction of how fascism grows over time and how any country or entity can fall to it.

coleslawed and disambigujason like this.
  19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

think rj damn near convinced me to roll the dice on those movies

20. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

I watched all of the prequels recently and actually found that I enjoyed them. The CGI doesn’t hold up at all, and I guess my love for the memes helps. I think the memes made me appreciate them more for some reason. With all of the chaos in the world going on, they’re a nice watch to have for a break from it all. Also Trump is totally Palpatine.

smowashere likes this.
  21. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I remember saying the prequels were initially written as kids movies and some people here shitting on me lol

22. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Pretty much all the pre-Disney Star Wars films (whether dope or trash) deal w/ fascism to at least some degree. Too bad the only Disney-era film to really carry that torch was The Last Jedi. Taika Waititi also played in that territory with Thor: Ragnarok, though, so if the next Star Wars film really is his film (I mean that in more than one way), I'm hopeful we'll get a little bit of that back.

AndrewSoup likes this.
  23. If Star Wars is anti-fascist, does that mean it's a terrorist organization?

24. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I certainly felt terrorized by The Rise of Skywalker.

25. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

Hot take: TROS haters are more exasperating than TLJ haters. I didn't like the movie but I don't go posting about how I didn't like it in every thread I can find.