Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson, December 15, 2017) Movie • Page 364

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Mar 14, 2016.

1. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

If it doesn’t float your boat, no. I’m not tagging you in any of the posts. I, however, am interested in how the actors feel about the fan reactions be it good or bad and I'll post links in case anyone else is interested.

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  2. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

It's a very clickbait article though. Here is what she actually said in the USA Today interview:
    She basically just says everyone has a right to their opinion, but it doesn't make them right or wrong. There's really nothing to talk about here.

coleslawed, Tim, Joe4th and 1 other person like this.
  3. aoftbsten likes this.
  4. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

But the title only says that she thinks it’s “fair” if the film received backlash from fans. That’s exactly what she is quoted saying...twice.

Isn’t clickbait when a title is misleading, not when it says something that is actually quoted?

5. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

The title of the article frames it in a way that she agrees with the backlash. But in reality, she's saying she thinks it's fair for everyone to have an opinion. The title was absolutely written to get people thinking she hates the film. When really she's just giving a canned answer to a question she's probably sick of answering.

coleslawed, Slangster and Jason Tate like this.
  6. The actual quote, "it’s fair for people to think they were done wrong; it doesn’t mean they were" is so clearly different than how the title (Daisy Ridley Thinks It's "Fair" That Star Wars: The Last Jedi Suffered Backlash) was framed for readers to push a very specific narrative and meaning that's very different than what she actually said and, with context, clearly meant.

7. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

"Daisy Ridley Shares Platitude On The Nature of Opinions In An Effort to be Quasi-Diplomatic Regarding Unhinged Star Wars Fanboys Even Though We All Know Exactly How She Really Feels" would have been too on the nose, I suppose.

8. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

The title doesn’t attempt to say that people were or were not in the in the right. It only says that Daisy thinks it’s “fair” and that is accurately quoted.

I think people are reading far into it with their emotions regarding this.

9. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I have a new appreciation for how awful so many SW fans can be after seeing Adam in Burn This last weekend.

10. "Daisy Ridley Doesn't Say She Wouldn't Punch Rian Johnson in The Face"

FTank and coleslawed like this.
  11. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

“Daisy Ridley doesn’t think it’s fair for films to receive blacklash”

12. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, no.

Look at the original interview. The question was this:

So, first, the question was "were you surprised by the controversy?" She says no.

She also explains what she believes is "fair": "for people to think they were done wrong" when "something incredibly dear" didn't turn out the way they wanted.

Saying that her use of the word "fair" was in response to the word "backlash" is incredibly misleading. It does not capture what she was trying to get across at all. And is a complete hatchet of her words and what she was responding to in an effort to make the most controversial reading of what she said.

13. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

More related to the film itself, I came across this and thought it was a cool little detail:
    [​IMG]
    A nice little nod at that being the moment Kylo Ren was born.

coleslawed and Dodger like this.
  14. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Yeah, the whole culture around these conversations, & the digital machinery that has kept them alive way past their prime, is all just so disingenuous & clickbaity & cyclical & tired. It's just case after case of person asking person leading question, quote from person becoming headline w/out context, & then lots of sharing of the article by people who still, in 2019, need to hear "YOUR:clap: CRITICISM:clap: OF:clap: THE:clap: LAST:clap: JEDI:clap: IS:clap: VALID :clap:."

It's not even that people still talk about the movie. I still talk about every Spider-Man film. But, I don't think I deserve a pat on my back or the backing of a celebrity involved in the films. And yet, I only know of one person to date who didn't like Last Jedi who I have good, nontoxic conversation with.

Jason Tate and coleslawed like this.
  15. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

16. NitrateDawn

Regular

The Last Jedi is great and the only reason I’d ever care if anyone disagrees is if it means we get less movies as bold and boundary pushing

FTank likes this.

17. mArK haTEs RiAN johnSon

18. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Well yeah Rian RUINED Mark’s career!

19. Made #74 on IndieWire's top 100 of the decade list. Can't wait to rewatch this in prep for IX.
    The 100 Best Movies of the 2010s | IndieWire

beachdude, Dodger and aoftbsten like this.
  20. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Rian was the first guest on JGL's new podcast. It's a very interesting conversation overall. He touches on how the writing process was different for The Last Jedi than his other films.

Dodger likes this.
  21. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Left this thread quite awhile ago because it got dumb. Seems like things have finally quieted down though now.

Rewatched this again tonight and I still adore it so much. What a special film.

22. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

beachdude and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  23. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Interesting. P cool he’s donating the money

beachdude likes this.
  24. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

this is leaving netflix after christmas

25. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

To be added to Disney+ on December 26th.

beachdude, aoftbsten and bodkins like this.