Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson, December 15, 2017) Movie • Page 363

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Anthony_ May 9, 2019
    (Last edited: May 9, 2019)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yeah I mean you can't disregard everything JJ set up when there was no plan in place for the story of the whole trilogy. If JJ and Kennedy had mapped out a three-film story and then Rian had just torched it, that would be one thing, but they were always making things up as they went along. He just took the things JJ set up in a direction nobody predicted.

coleslawed likes this.
  2. Davjs

Trusted

I mean I disagree but I've already talked about why I feel the characters kind of run circles instead of develop. I don't blame Rian because of what Anthony said though, he wanted to tell a certain story no one higher up said no. I blame Disney for not having the story planned out, even if different directors were coming in.

I was just answering why even though TJL didn't work for me, I am excited for his own trilogy he can start from scratch instead of coming in the middle of someone else;'s story.

3. But that's like saying Chinese food and spaghetti are the same thing ... it's not true. You have to willfully ignore the entire developmental arcs of virtually all the characters to make that statement.

I mean, probably because the story was really good. But, that's just a guess.

coleslawed and Anthony_ like this.
  4. And there's a very key difference between "I don't like the developmental arc he took these characters on" and "there is no developmental arc." One's subjective enough, and I'll disagree because I think they're very worthy progressions to have in the film and out into the world/cinema in general (for new and old characters), but to claim they didn't happen is folly.

sawhney[rusted]2 and Anthony_ like this.
  5. Anthony_

I'm with you. I've gone on at length in here, about Finn's arc especially, and how I think all of the choices Rian made for the main characters are really strong. But yeah even if you don't like them, they're absolutely there.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  6. The lessons Poe learns are the lessons every kid watching action movies and "going with the gut" heroes from the 80s should hear as well! How to be a leader and what it actually means to lead are good lessons for everyone that we've often gotten very wrong in entertainment! And then we're surprised when people elect an archetype based on some pretty flawed lessons, but I digress.

sawhney[rusted]2 and Anthony_ like this.
  7. Anthony_

100%. Poe having to unlearn his macho posturing and recklessness is such a great message to send to young viewers, especially young male viewers.

Also it dovetails perfectly with the overall theme of failure which Yoda explicitly lays out in one of the movie's best scenes

8. Davjs

Trusted

You are right, I willfully ignore entire parts of movies just because I don't want to enjoy it.

9. bodkins

Trusted

Interesting theory and I’ve never thought of it this way. That said, there were no Sith for a thousand years, they were believed to be defeated, but Jedi still practiced sparring. I don’t have any reason to believe they wouldn’t when the new order was formed. Interesting thought though!
    Deflecting blaster bolts, melting mechanisms to unlock doors, fighting droids, cutting open tauntauns, etc.

10. Roasting marshmallows.

coleslawed, Anthony_, Ken and 2 others like this.
  11. bodkins

Trusted

aoftbsten likes this.
  12. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Sure, but I’d say deflecting blaster bolts would be part of training anyways and then those other uses were tertiary or happenstance results of having a giant “flaming” sword on your hip, haha

I just think the supreme leader in waiting never being trained how to use one would be an extreme and unrealistic oversight, that was my only point.

13. Haha just me making jokes.

14. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Kylo could roast three marshmallows at a time... think of the camping efficiency!

bodkins likes this.
  15. bodkins

Trusted

My nerdy face emoji didn’t post, but I was dryly joking back haha. That said, in the shit show that is legends, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone roasted a marshmallow with a lightsaber to go with their caf.

16. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

This gives me visions of Jedi using their lightsabers for mundane, silly tasks when there are clearly more practical and better options, similar to how I sometimes stumble around my house in the dark at night using my phone flashlight when my house has functioning electricity and is rigged with many lights.

Firing up your lightsaber to reheat a piece of cold pizza cuz you're too lazy to walk over to your futuristic space stove.

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  17. [​IMG]

sawhney[rusted]2 and bodkins like this.
  18. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Lighting a cigarette with a lightsaber would instantly make somebody a total badass.

An eyebrow-less badass.

coleslawed, bodkins and Brother Beck like this.
  19. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

HA! You beat me to it, but I was typing "a badass with no face!"

20. bodkins

Trusted

Yea I’m just pointing out the uses you asked for. Like you, I wouldn’t put money on Ben NOT having been trained. We’ll get the specifics soon enough in that yet to be announced novel I’m sure.

21. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, no doubt.

Funny you mention that because I’ve never read any canon stuff outside of the movies and I’m considering reading Kylo stuff. He’s skyrocketed up my favorite Star Wars characters and he might be number one at this point. The way he’s been written and Driver’s portrayal of all these amazing emotions and actions and spirit is just incredible.

22. bodkins

Trusted

There’s currently nothing out that he’s in besides the films, but recently a description went out for an upcoming book that seemed to have the wrong book’s description attached. It was essentially a synopsis of Ben in training with Luke. Hopefully it’ll be out not long after IX. If you aren’t a big reader (I’m not), I’ve been getting into the audiobooks lately and they’ve been pretty great. I have all the comics too and really enjoy those, though some are better than others.

23. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Good suggestion on the audiobooks! I’ll have to look into those.

bodkins likes this.
  24. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Davjs likes this.
  25. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

It's been over a year & a half. Do we really need more conversations about the conversations about this film?

Zilla, coleslawed, Jason Tate and 2 others like this.