Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson, December 15, 2017) Movie • Page 362

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Mar 14, 2016.

1. They’re definitely rational actors heh

2. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I watched this for the first time since seeing it in the theater. What the hell was I waiting for? I loved it so much more a second time.

3. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I liked it in the theater. I LOVED it after watching at home.

coleslawed and Ken like this.
  4. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, the issues that I had with it after first viewing are still there but are lessened each time I watch it.

Honestly, I could watch an entire movie and love it if they removed everything but the Kyle, Luke, and Ren plot. That alone is like 10/10 for me.

aoftbsten likes this.
  5. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

[​IMG]

6. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Hell yeah the Porgs would be there, too! Love those little bastards.

Ken likes this.
  7. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

8. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

That reminds me, it popped in my head the other day how shitheads complain how Rey is apparently a Mary Sue because she nEvEr LoSeS oNcE or some stupid shit. Her first encounter with Kylo is him 100% stopping her physically with the force, controlling her body entirely, and then making her pass out and he carries her away like a sack of potatoes. Lol, those people are pathetic.

theagentcoma likes this.
  9. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

she is struggling the whole time, stabbing like she would with her staff. She's constantly backpedaling while Kylo slices through trees and shit

10. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Yep, he practically is yawning while doing it, haha. Just effortlessly winning.

11. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

The other thing nobody in the "Rey is a Mary Sue" crowd seems to consider is that Kylo has probably zero experience with lightsaber duels. Luke probably never had his students spar (why would they, the Sith were defeated) and he had nobody to train against once he joined Snoke (doesn't appear as though Snoke wields a lightsaber). He just uses it to threaten people and throw temper tantrums with. So it makes sense that they'd actually be more evenly matched in combat than one might expect at first.

coleslawed likes this.
  12. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

We don't have evidence he's had an actual duel before, but I seriously doubt he hasn't had at least normal training with a lighsaber. I mean, why would his main physical weapon be a lightsaber if nobody taught him how to wield it?

justin. likes this.
  13. I like that - haven't thought about it that way

edit: regarding Anthony's post

Anthony_ likes this.
  14. Anthony_

Never said he wasn't trained to use a lightsaber, Luke was clearly training them to use lightsabers because he had one the night Luke went to kill him.

15. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

You said he probably had zero experience with lightsaber duels, which I took to mean as him not having literally any training since wielding one means it's being used in a duel.

But anyways, he had his own lightsaber when Luke was training him and I imagine had the cross lightsaber made in order to ape Darth Vader even more than he already was, so I can't imagine he'd get to where he was without at least some training from Luke and further once he switched sides.

16. Davjs

Trusted

I very much disliked this movie but am so down for another SW by him. What I didn't like was how he used the characters and disregarded everything JJ set up in 7, probably making this trilogy feel super disjointed (we'll see how ep 9 plays). That killed it for me.

What I did love about the movie was the action, how beautiful it looked and the way it told a different kind of story then I was expecting and how I was guessing what was going to happen until the very end. I think with new characters and with his own story from start to finish, he could make something awesome if that makes any sense.

Dodger likes this.
  17. Anthony_

I mean idk why you took it to mean that when that's not what I said lol and no that's not what it means because lightsabers are used in literally a million other contexts aside from 1-on-1 duels with other lightsaber wielders

18. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

What else are the lightsabers used for if not dueling?

19. Anthony_

Watch the movies again, idk how to even begin to answer this

20. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Also, I always took the Kylo/Finn/Rey fight and how poorly he did was a mix of her force powers and his "love adrenaline" and the fact that Kylo was just shot by Chewie with that badass gun.

Davjs likes this.
  21. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Jesus Christ, if you're not willing to talk or answer a simple question, then don't respond to me.

22. Anthony_ May 9, 2019
    (Last edited: May 9, 2019)
    Anthony_

I don't have to respond to this deliberately obtuse bs, you know what I meant when I said "lightsaber duel" and you know that lightsabers are used for other purposes than fighting other people who have lightsabers so I'm not going to get baited into a bizarre semantics argument just so you can disprove my totally innocuous fan theory about why Kylo Ren is bad at lightsaber fights.

23. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I literally didn't and still don't know what else you're referring to so I misunderstood and then asked for the answer, but you'd rather have this weird gatekeeping thing with these Star Wars movies, so I guess continue feeling better-than-thou about this shit.

24. Anthony_

lol "gatekeeping" and "better-than-thou" stop please this is too good

25. But he didn't disregard 'everything JJ set up' and the first two movies don't feel 'disjointed' at all. They work so well specifically because of how the second movie builds upon what came before it to better flesh out the characters and world we know.