Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson, December 15, 2017) Movie • Page 360

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Mar 14, 2016.

1. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I rolled my eyes because it felt forced and I personally don’t think it was delivered right. Rose ruining Finn from having a hero’s sacrifice also ruins the entire moment.

2. NitrateDawn

Regular

Pretty sure Finn wasn't gonna be able to do anything to that canon and it was going to be a worthless sacrifice

3. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Maybe so but writing the attempt in to the story for a one liner is just as worthless.

4. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

On first watch it did seem like Finn could have stopped the battering ram, but on second watch I clued more into the visuals showing the laser destroying Finn's skimmer as he was flying into it. I don't think he would have even made a dent.

The only thing that I don't like about that line is that Rose's kiss seems to come out of left field. Finn and Rose were fun together, but I never felt any romantic chemistry between them. Maybe it's supposed to be a friendly/ or just non-romantic kiss? Episode nine might provide more context there. Either way, I think the message of that line comes across without it.

sawhney[rusted]2 and Dodger like this.
  5. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

the only thing about the kiss that bothered me was that it seemed so out of left field, like there never (IMO) appeared to be any romantic connections between them all movie. the rey/finn dynamic in TFA felt more like there were feelings involved than finn/rose, but I'm glad that it doesn't appear that they're going in the rey/finn relationship direction. the kiss works if feelings were even hinted at a little more throughout their time together.

6. NitrateDawn

Regular

You say one liner, I say the culmination of Finn’s arc

7. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

but also hey they probably thought they were all about to die why not just kiss him.

impending doom makes people do crazy things.

ship90 and aoftbsten like this.
  8. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Considering it's a movie he could have easily destroyed it if the filmmakers wanted it to happen.

I would have be happy if he had sacrificed himself to destroy the battering ram, allowing the rebels time to escape. As I think I've already mentioned it would have been a nice redemptive sendoff after trying to runaway earlier in the film.

9. "Running away" is harsh. Wasn't he going after Rey?

10. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i was just about to say, he wasn't running away like he was in TFA, he wanted to go find/save/help Rey.

aoftbsten likes this.
  11. aoftbsten Dec 17, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 17, 2018)
    aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I do think if Finn succeeds with his suicide run, you kind of get an overload in this movie with suicidal sacrifices. First Paige, then Holdo, then Finn, then Luke. At that point, you're really beating a dead horse. And that horse probably sacrificed itself for the message to be obvious.

12. It causes me to roll my eyes...IN AN ATTEMPT TO RESIST THE TEARS

coleslawed, Dodger and justin. like this.
  13. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

also good point about the body count of self sacrifices that this movie built up.

14. LightWithoutHeat

He was running away from the resistance in order to do so. In the end, he would give his life to save the resistance. Works for me.

I'm fine with the self-sacrifice theme, it hammers home how serious the conflict is and how costly it is to fight the First Order. I really don't think anyone would have said "well that's one too many sacrifices" if he had died destroying the ram. He becomes a hero and symbol of hope. Seems to fit just fine.

15. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

There's still more to do with Finn that'd be needlessly lost w/ a sacrifice there, w/out enough of a payoff (especially sandwiched between 2 other sacrifices). It'd be a bad, wasted narrative choice.

Plus, I wanna spend more time w/ this character, lol. Though, I'd be willing to *a-hem* sacrifice that if it actually did something for the story.

ship90 and aoftbsten like this.
  16. LightWithoutHeat

What do you have in mind?

17. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Yea, I still think there's more to explore with Finn. He'll be experiencing a lot more war going forward, what does that do to the mind of a guy who wanted to get away from all that? Also, I still would love for him to have some dilemma about killing soldiers who he used to fight with. If he can turn, he could have some conflict about killing them if there's potential for them to turn as well.

Also, I need more of Finn and Poe together.

Dodger likes this.
  18. Tim

I don't have any specific arcs I'm hoping to see per se, but he's an interesting character with a compelling backstory, played by a charming actor, who's only been in two films. I feel like a Resistance soldier who was a Trooper is a concept that can be played with more.

19. LightWithoutHeat

That makes sense. I do wish they would have leaned into it a bit more at this point. He's a nice contrast to the idea that the First Order/Empire is some monolith of evil and not composed of individual people with moral quandaries. Sort of throws a wrench in celebrating the deaths of tens of thousands every time a behemoth space ship is destroyed.

20. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I’m down for more Finn and I would really like to see him come face-to-face with Kylo again. I would just have rather had Finn sacrifice himself instead of him being stopped from doing it, although; him making the decision to sacrifice himself still shows his character growth, so while I dislike the actions following it, I still kinda dig it.

IX really is going to have a lot going on, though. Rey, Kylo, Finn, and Poe all ending their arcs in the same film and ending the Skywalker story causes me to feel bad for Abrams.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  21. dlemert

Trusted

All that, plus it feels like they're introducing a TON of new characters in this one, even if these are in supporting roles. I have no idea how they'll pull of a satisfying ending, but hoping for the best.

22. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

It’s definitely going to have to be the longest SW film but I’m into that.

23. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I thought TLJ would suffer from too many characters when I saw that they added Laura Dern, Benicio Del Toro, and Luke coming back (though he just cancels out the loss of screen time for Han dying). But it all worked out well.

For this one we're losing Holdo, Snoke, I don't think Del Toro is back(?), plus Luke and Leia's roles are probably minimized. The only major names we're adding are Matt Smith, Dominic Monaghan, and Lando, right? I think they'll able to manage 2.5 hours or less.

I wouldn't be mad about a three hour long Star Wars though.

Dodger likes this.
  24. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I forgot about Keri Russell. That is a little more than I thought.

25. Tim

Not every character (new & returning alike) needs an arc. Most movies don't give every character a fully fleshed out arc. *shrug*