Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson, December 15, 2017) Movie • Page 359

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I don't have a lot of time to read these days but I love books . What I've been doing lately is picking stuff up on audiobook when I can for my pretty decent length commute. I'm definitely going to check out Catalyst. I haven't read a ton of SW books but the handful I have read have been really good.

aoftbsten likes this.
  2. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I did it as an audiobook as well. I've got a long commute every day, so it's the best way for me.

3. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

The ending scene with Vader is one of the top 5 scenes of the franchise for me

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  4. I will third that Catalyst was great

5. BackyardHero11

Trusted

it's the ultimate subtle tease that the whole time he's Luke's father, no one drops cheese quite like a Dad haha

6. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Same here. I thought RO was fantastic throughout and that last scene was the icing on the cake. I remember sitting forward in my seat in the theater, jaw dropped and feeling excited like 10 year old me when I first saw SW.

7. BackyardHero11

Trusted

absolutely. it's the vader I've wanted to see on screen for years after reading star wars comics growing up.

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  8. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I remember feeling an actual sense of dread which I liked because while Vader was intimidating to me when I was younger, he was never frightful.

9. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I couldn't agree more with this.

theagentcoma and SEANoftheDEAD like this.
  10. Dodge725

Trusted

The space battle at the end of RO was like my toys come to life. I can’t tell you how many times I did the Hammerhead Corvette maneuver with my LEGOs and Micro Machines as a kid and never thought I’d see anything like that on screen.

11. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

The third act of Rogue One will always be seen as incredible no matter what.

12. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Disney is four for four with Star Wars movies as far as I'm concerned and for the most part, the third act of each one has been jaw-droppingly good.

13. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

I agree. Even despite all the drama, Kennedy and all involved managed to still make a solid movie in Solo that most enjoy. Still crazy to me. I dont know if the third act of Solo was jaw-droppingly good for me but it was definitely solid. Cant wait for it to come on netflix next month to see it again.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  14. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Jaw-dropping probably doesn't apply to Solo because it doesn't have the scale or huge feeling of the other three. But I was having a blast during the whole "who's betraying who" part of the ending.

theagentcoma, Dodger and Jason Tate like this.
  15. Dodger

Agreed. I loved that whole sequence. I didnt see Hans plan coming and it was fun. Then the showdown with Beckett was great.

aoftbsten likes this.
  16. Dodger

Hoping Episode 9 can top all 4 though. Going to be tough to beat TLJ and TFA for me as they are two of my favorite movies ever, but I have a feeling JJ will do something incredible with it. Its really an interesting set of circumstances.

Somebody whos known for not finishing stories well and not answering the mysteries he introduces well. Unjustly blamed for rehashing with TFA. Even if its unfair expectations, he is being expected to tie together two other trilogies and conclude an entire saga of films as well as concluding a trilogy that feels like it just kind of started and all of your new characters in satisfying way lol Handling a Force Ghost Luke. Somehow incorporating Leia in a satisfying way without Carrie. Its just a lot of plates to spin.

I think hell nail it though.
    [​IMG]

17. ship90

Trusted

I really enjoyed listening to this

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  18. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I just came across this (sorry if it's a repost). I've you've seen Brick, this is basically a short film remake and it's awesome.

19. BackyardHero11

Trusted

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  20. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

That's just taking quotes from the movie and think-piecing them lol

coleslawed likes this.
  21. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

its amazing

aoftbsten likes this.
  22. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

23. Dodger

the "Saving what we love" theme is one of my favorite things about the movie and how its woven throughout the movie is brilliant, but the moment was a super cheesy moment. it sucks that that awesome message was kind of buried or not as impactful because just from an effectiveness perspective that storyline/relationship/moment didnt work for a lot of people.

24. BackyardHero11

Trusted

yeah i'll say the first time I watched none of that resonated with me. could have had something to do with before I saw it I was traveling for 10 hours in a blizzard haha, but the second time the themes really landed with me a lot more. perhaps the nerdist article over explains some things based on the quotes, but I do think the "lessons" and themes are very impactful throughout.

the one part of the plot I think I might still be a little lost on is that when Leia comes back it seems like Poe realizes what the plan was all along and so it was kind of dumb for him to be doing all the sneaky plans, but I guess the point of that is pulling away from the idea that the only way to succeed is to jump in head first, and be the hero? something along those lines. idk. the whole space angel leia and her in a mini coma is one of the parts that still baffles me even though I've grown to love the film more than I did initially haha.

25. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

That line being a bit cheesy is the best thing about it. The idea of someone rolling their eyes at such shameless upbeat sincerity, while unsurprising, really bums me out.

The only thing I don't like about it is that, on a practical level, "saving what we love" often does involve some "fighting what we hate," though I don't think the film actually says otherwise, so it still works.

BackyardHero11 likes this.