Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson, December 15, 2017) Movie • Page 358

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Mar 14, 2016.

1. dlemert

Trusted

Vader should've just been a background looming presence in RO at most. Between Tarkin and Krennic that movie was overloaded with villains as it was. Having Vader just show up for his one scene on the rebel ship at the end would've been extra shocking and badass.

2. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

What are your thoughts on Krennic? I wanted more of him.

3. His screen time was perfectly fine.

Ken likes this.
  4. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I love me some Ben Mendolsohn and am only slightly exaggerating when I say I would happily watch 133 minutes of nothing but him as Krennic in that glorious white cape.

coleslawed and BackyardHero11 like this.
  5. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I'd love to just get my hands on the pre-reshoot script, just to see how it differed. I do love reading about first drafts and story ideas for movies in general though. Most of the time the final version is the best version, but the what-if scenarios are fun to discuss.

6. Dunno how many more times he can play the same annoying villain character that throws a tantrum at least one. I'd say only only one more time, but no way you could pay me to go see that Robin Hood movie.

Dodger likes this.
  7. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Agree on all accounts. Krennic I was okay with but I didnt love it. It was just...servicable

8. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

If Rian Johnson’s upcoming trilogy isn’t three films about the rise and ultimately tragic fall of Krennick I am never watching another Star War ever again.

Wait, is Mendelsohn really in Robin Hood...?

aoftbsten likes this.
  9. NitrateDawn

Regular

Yes, he plays Orson Krennick... I mean bad guy in Ready Player One... I mean Sherrif of Nottingham

coleslawed and Jason Tate like this.
  10. He's exactly who you'd expect ... and I'd assume he'll play it just like his villain from this movie and Ready Player One. And probably how he'll play Talos. And ... yeah, I'm not super enamored with him. It's been pretty one note in these big action movies for a while.

11. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Nah he plays all of those characters in The Dark Knight Rises

coleslawed likes this.
  12. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I think I'd only seen him in Dark Knight Rises, so at the time Krennic didn't seem like same old same old to me. But he was very generic in Ready Player One. I will also not be sitting through the Robin Hood movie.

NitrateDawn likes this.
  13. He's really good in the one season of Bloodline I watched.

14. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I was obviously kidding, but I did love him as Krennic yet can recognize that these critiques are 100% valid. I think it helps that I didn't see Ready Player One or Robin Hood. I think not having time to see as many films as I would like to lately helped in this regard. I honestly hadn't seen him since The Place Beyond The Pines. I've been meaning to check out Nicole Holofcener's The Land of Steady Habits to see him play a lead role in a more grounded film and take a break from the big villain.

15. He's great in Bloodline like Jason said. I heard he's great in Mississippi Grind also, but I haven't seen it.

16. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

I mean, wasn’t he only in 2 scenes? Would cutting one really make that much of a difference?

17. Oh yeah I have been meaning to watch that too.

18. bodkins

Trusted

He really is.

19. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I hadn't even heard of Bloodline before this, but I just checked it out on Wikipedia and holy crap that's a hell of a cast. Damn.

bodkins likes this.
  20. Dodge725

Trusted

If you’re serious about this, you should read the book Catalyst. It’s about him and Galen in the Clone Wars and how he rose to power. Adds a ton of context to him as a character and the first scene with the two of them.

21. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as me."

good ol' OT Vader lines

coleslawed and aoftbsten like this.
  22. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I wasn't being serious about the Rian Johnson thing at all, but I do love the character and Mendelsohn's portrayal of him. I'll have to check those books out. I will most likely always watch whatever new Star War there is. If Jar Jar didn't get me I don't think anything will.

23. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

It's the only season worth watching. Shame they didn't end it after the marvelous first season.

Jason Tate likes this.
  24. That’s what I heard and one reason I’ve stayed away.

25. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

@Brother Beck I second that Catalyst is great. Reading it before the movie enhanced the characters of Galen, Krennic, and Saw quite a bit for me. It also adds an extra punch to Galen and Jyn's relationship.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.