Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams, December 20, 2019) Movie • Page 39

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

365 days.

2. David Parke likes this.
  3. BackyardHero11

Trusted

totally fair, leading up to episode 9 though I will probably do a movie a day starting with Solo, Rogue One, 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, and then go see 9 the next day. I know Phantom isn't really part of the machete order but i'll still do it this time. I have issues with the prequels, a large one is just the absurd about of full cgi sets, but I still enjoy them the over all even if far from my favorites.

David Parke and Dodger like this.
  4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I saw this post, & then a couple minutes later heard comic writer Cullen Bunn talk on a podcast about how, in both comics & in Star Wars, fans love deciding what they'll treat as canon & in what order. Funny timing, lol.

But, yeah, I personally really like the nerd/fandom idea of "head canon." I'm fine just leaving the prequel trilogy & Solo out of my personal Star Wars understanding. But, to those who like different films, I'm glad those people have things they like.

(On the note of specifically Phantom Menace, I personally can't understand how someone would be willing to sit through 2 prequel films, including Attack of the Clones, but not be willing to include the prequel w/ the highest highs. If anything, I could kinda get if someone left out both 1 & 2. But, while the specific approach that is "Machete Order" is weird to me, like I said before, I do like the basic strategy & philosophy.)

coleslawed and BackyardHero11 like this.
  5. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

TPM has all of the best prequel moments, it would arguably be the only one i'd WANT to re-watch.

Dodger likes this.
  6. BackyardHero11

Trusted

yeah it's super interesting to see everyone's different approaches. the main reason I like the machete order idea is that I think (even though we obviously know all the answers now) that narratively the reveals of who Vader and who the Emperor is flow best, rather than just knowing who they both are the whole time through 4, 5, and 6. but machete order rewatch is generally the only time I revisit the prequels. sometimes i'll watch Revenge of the Sith if it's on TV, or of course if I know the Dual of the Fates is coming on soon haha.

Dodger likes this.
  7. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I'm trying to think of what would be the best order if you were to show them to someone who has never seen any before. My thinking is:

RO, 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6, Solo, 7, 8

RO really does set up a lot of good stuff to pick up in ANH. The Death Star, obviously, but it also builds questions around what the force is that get a nice pay off in ANH. Plus it makes Vader that much more terrifying. I don't think you can do Solo first because it doesn't set up those same storylines and themes. Plus the Maul reveal would mean absolutely nothing and just be more confusing once you start the prequels. I also like the idea of taking a look back at young Han right before catching up with old Han.

David Parke likes this.
  8. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

I just do release order. That's what I've always done with anyone who is watching them for the first time. I've only really had a chance to do that twice though.

9. dlemert

Trusted

I can't imagine NOT showing someone A New Hope first. To show them RO they might get certain expectations of what the franchise will be like only for them to realize none of the other movies in the franchise are remotely similar to that one.

10. BackyardHero11

Trusted

yeah I like the idea of a first time viewer seeing them in release order. the lead in of rogue one is awesome but I feel like it's that much more awesome because of that moment when you're like, holy shit, it's the beginning of a new hope.

11. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Both good points that I hadn't really considered. I could see it also just being jarring for a first time viewer to go from the look of RO to a movie that was made in the 70s.

12. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

This has nothing to do with anything we’re talking about I just want to express my regret that I was never able to see Empire without already knowing that Vader was Luke’s father. Still in my top 10/15 movies of all time but i feel like I missed out on one of the greatest cinematic moments in history.

I feel like it should be in every parenting book to make their kids watch 4 and 5 before they can get spoiled.

David Parke and BackyardHero11 like this.
  13. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I wasn't old enough to appreciate the shock/awe of the moment but I remember being in the theaters in the 90s during the re-releases and hearing people actually gasp at the reveal.

14. Dodger

How old were you?

15. dlemert

Trusted

The first SW movie I ever saw in the theater was Clones. I'm sad about that all the time. (Though, to be fair, I absolutely loved it when it first came out.)

Dodger likes this.
  16. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I was probably 3/4 years old when I watched it for the first time, and my dad was probably explaining everything as it happened because he was the reason i got into SW, so the moment happened and i guess i was confused and then like "oh OK cool", but by the time they were re-released i was 8/9 years old and could appreciate them more with an understanding of my own.

David Parke likes this.
  17. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I'd let a first time watch it in this order
    IV, V, VI, I, II, III, RO, VII, Solo, VIII

David Parke likes this.
  18. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I have a memory of seeing the ANH and Empire for the first time in theaters when they were re-released. But those were only re-released in 97 and I definitely have memories of seeing them before that too. So either my mind is playing tricks on me (most likely) or a local theater was screening them a year or two prior to that.

19. BackyardHero11

Trusted

ahh, interesting, curious the reason why the RO - VIII order

20. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I was 11 when Clones came out and remember being a little disappointed that Jar Jar wasn't in it that much. Eight year old me loved him haha.

Petit nain des Îles and Dodger like this.
  21. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Clones was the first movie I ever went to on my own with friends/without parents (in 7th grade) so I will always fondly remember that moment of freedom.

ship90 and Dodger like this.
  22. Dodger

Ah yea 3/4 is a little young. I’ll wait until 7/8 to show the kids that I’ll probably never have

23. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I thought RO would be good after the OT and PT because the story ties directly as a gap between those two and I would place Solo after Ep VII because Han doesn't appear after VII so Solo would be a nice closure/callback to the character before jumping into VIII.

David Parke likes this.
  24. Dodger

I’ll probably do 4,5,6—1,2, Clone Wars series, ROTS—then introduce the books once he or she is hooked (and they will be hooked!) like Leia, Dark disciple, Ashoka, etc... Rebels,—solo, rogue one—then Bloodline then 7,8,9.

Then Rian Johnson trilogy, then since they are probably going to be a little heavier mandolorian, Cassian series, and benioff and Weiss series.

.....god I really hope my kids like Star Wars. I think the only reason I want kids is to show them Star Wars.

David Parke and aoftbsten like this.
  25. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Yeah, experimenting w/ personal Star Wars orders is cool, but for a first time viewer, all other factors being even... You gotta start with A New Hope. And, really, now that Return of the Jedi isn't the end anymore, you gotta go through the whole original trilogy first.