Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams, December 20, 2019) Movie • Page 35

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jul 6, 2018.

1. ship90

Trusted Supporter

coleslawed likes this.
  2. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

hyyyype

Dodger and ship90 like this.
  3. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

God I love the comment about the "biggest set". Set design is becoming one of my favorite aspects about movies. I loved TFA set design too so Im so pumped about that.

Also I love Kevin Smith.

4. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

Best career performance that's been in the franchise for a long time!? I'm assuming Mark Hamill.

5. Dodger

yeah it doesnt sound like it would be one of the youngins. Has to be Hamill. Only other person I could see is Lando talking about Han or something

6. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Idk seems cool and all but Kevin Smith is the worst with those kind of takes.

7. flask

Trusted Supporter

If I was on the set of Star Wars id probably proclaim it the greatest thing I’ve ever seen as well.

8. Dodger

I def get that Kevin is just a positive dude, but I dont think hes lying about crying about somebody giving a career performance or that he didnt see the biggest set hes seen in his life. Those dont seem like outlandish things considering were talking about the last movie presumably ending the biggest saga of films (Skywalker Saga) in the history of film.

9. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

the career best performance is absolutely regarding an army of porgs.

10. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Already crying at the thought of fallen Porg soldiers.

11. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

chewbacca fighting kylo is career best performance

David Parke likes this.
  12. Dodger

Have we gotten a melee combat scene with Chewy?

13. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I love Kevin, but he's so easily pleased by nostalgic nerd culture, & so easily emotional. His unbridled sincerity is honestly a big part of why I like him. But, I'd never read too much into his thoughts.

14. Lepi182

Trusted Supporter

My guess is:
    Title in January
    Teaser at SWC in April
    BTS at SDCC in July or D23 in August
    Full Trailer on Monday Night Football in October
    Barrage of tv spots and international trailers from October until release.

15. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Nailed it

Lets end this discussion lol

16. Dodger

Watching TFA. Just realized that at Maz’s Caste, when Finn is deserting her, that’s what triggers the voice of her younger self saying “No, come back!” To her parents deserting her as well. So good.

coleslawed and aoftbsten like this.
  17. Dodger

Also god I love JJs visual style (minus the abundant lens flares). Feels so real. Practical effects are so perfect. As much as I love Rians unique visual style there were a lot of moments that were too CG for my tastes. So glad JJs back and can’t wait to see how he tops what he did.

David Parke likes this.
  18. I’d argue the literal exact opposite.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  19. I’ve always loved JJs flares. Lol. I was so stoked for them when I found out he was helming the film! Haha

coleslawed likes this.
  20. Dodger

I dont mind the flares just not the amount lol.

Also I just watched someone talking about how important sticking the landing to episode 9 is considering its basically the culmination of a story 40 years in the making. the person said "this movie is going to be looked upon by future generations as the single most important franchise film ever made" because if they dont stick the landing on the biggest its going to disappoint so many generations and future generations to come and all that.

I dont know its the "most important", but I will say that I do agree that the efficacy of this film is big. The OG trilogy are generally some of the most beloved movies ever and so huge in the cultural awareness. The prequels were the antithesis and some of the most hated movies ever made. TFA was well received and a great comeback. TLJ will be known as one of the most divisive films ever made and created a lot of chaos.

Not that I think the greatness of the OG trilogy could ever be soured, but I think overall this movie is huge since its concluding the Skywalker's story started by probably the most important cultural phenomenon ever. It will be John Williams last in Star Wars. Will be the last time you see Hamill as Luke or Carrie as Leia in movie form. I think if its bad, just eh, or just kind of solid I think it would be considered a huge disappointment (especially in todays culture).

Also while I think redeeming Kylo would bother me from a moral perspective, its hard for me to imagine them not concluding the skywalker saga with presumably the last in the skywalker bloodline being evil and the movie ending on a dower note like Kylo dying

David Parke likes this.
  21. I think people put too much pressure on movies. Yeesh.

22. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

whoever this quote is from, it's such a dumb thing to say. what does "stick the landing" even mean in this case?? this sets such an unrealistic/unfair expectation on a movie that isn't even done filming yet

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  23. Dodger

How about this. Matrix revolutions, xmen the last stand, spiderman 3, Jurassic Park 3, godfather part 3 all were disappointing endings to what could’ve been some of the best trilogies ever. It will be more disappointing than those.

24. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

right but the movie hasn't even finished filming, released a title, released footage, nothing, and the internet is already pontificating about how disastrous to pop culture it will be if it's "bad".

people just need to stop.

coleslawed likes this.
  25. And the franchises and movies that preceded them have been just fine and loved. And billions more movies will be made. It'll be fine. (And no, it will not be more disappointing than Godfather 3.)

coleslawed likes this.