Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams, December 20, 2019) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jul 6, 2018.

1. ship90

Trusted

Second unit director

coleslawed and Dodger like this.
  2. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

that made no sense but ok

3. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

So michael jordan is the lebron james of 90s basketball?

I can get behind that.

beachdude42, Connor and Dodger like this.
  4. ship90

Trusted

I don’t think her tweet is really that hard to figure out.

& this

5. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I don't have anything to contribute right now but I'm gonna post "fuck yeah" to sub to the thread

ship90 likes this.
  6. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I laughed really hard at this.

I feel like it's ultimately going to be something with a serious sense of finality. I am actually a pretty big fan of J.J. Abrams and I am really hoping he pulls this off, but I have to admit it's kind of funny that a guy known for his inability to end his stories well is coming in to complete this trilogy. I'm really hoping Rian Johnson's creative slate-clearing with TLJ forces him out of his comfort zone and inspires him to really get creative and take some risks.

I have enjoyed all of the new Star Wars movies we've gotten recently because I like movies and I like Star Wars, but my main problem with all of them has been the tendency to try and play everything too safe. From the stories they've chosen to tell (Solo) to not trusting their choice of directors (Gareth Edwards, Lord & Miller) as they get towards the finish line and bringing people in to make sure everything is vanilla. I know Disney dropped $4 Billion and weren't in a huge hurry to squander that investment but I think their playing it too safe has started to hurt the brand so to speak.

7. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Is it wrong for me to *ahem* have a bad feeling about this?

I like 3/4 Disney Star Wars films a lot (sorry Solo), with TLJ sitting alongside New Hope & Empire in my top tier of Star Wars. But, part of me is really unsure if they're gonna stick the landing. It's just gonna be tough, especially with the Leia situation.

Here's hoping I can quote this post in a year and a half to tell myself how dumb I was to doubt them.

beachdude42, Connor and Dodger like this.
  8. I think it's absolutely reasonable to be wary of any Abrams film

9. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

The day before my 30th birthday. Cool.

Connor, coleslawed and Dodger like this.
  10. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

This is absolutely 100% true. But I will also say that I think he does have his strengths and there's a real chance here that he could pull off something great.

beachdude42 and Connor like this.
  11. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Why? I have enjoyed all of his theatrical directing efforts to varying levels. Same to his writing, at least in what I’ve seen. His theatrical writing credits get super random the further back you go.

12. Yeah I'm not predicting anything. I like Force Awakens and MI3.
    I have not.

Connor likes this.
  13. ship90

Trusted

JJ co-wrote an episode of Felicity titled The Force which features a character who is super excited to see TPM heh. They even show people waiting line for the movie (and includes a cheesy Obi-Wan like character ha).

14. Makoto

Monafide bonafide

Much more comfortable with Abrams finishing this than Johnson.

Kyle Max likes this.
  15. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Im much more comfortable with Abrams finishing this because of Johnson and the groundwork he layed out for Episode 9.

Connor and theagentcoma like this.
  16. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I can’t think of much groundwork that Johnson laid out that Abrams didn’t already have laid out in Ep VII since VIII igored some stories that were introduced or teased in VII. I wouldn’t be surprised if IX feels like a fresh start again.

17. Makoto

Monafide bonafide

The nonsensical direction of the plot, poor character arcs and overall lackluster writing? Shaky groundwork

18. Makoto

Monafide bonafide

Johnson abandoned Abrams story arc to 'subvert expectations'. Which is not inherently good writing although morons have conflated the two. My only hope is Abrams can tie the opposing visions into something passable. Or he'll just go fuck you Rian and start fresh again.

19. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

uhhh

20. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I really wanna tag a few people rn to get it on this convo but I'll hold back

for now

beachdude42 and Jason Tate like this.
  21. Zach

Trusted Supporter

What a shitty take.

Just cause he didn’t directly continue certain aspects, doesn’t mean he abandoned them. Abrams could very easily work whatever ideas he has around what he and Johnson both laid out, and have it work well.

Plus weren’t Johnson and Abrams in communication the whole time?

22. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

And here we go

23. Zach

Trusted Supporter

I mean, I’m not saying The Last Jedi was flawless or anything, but I’m just saying there is probably a plan out there that Johnson and Abrams cooked up, or are cooking up. I could have sworn in the documentary Johnson mentions that him and Abrams were in contact during the script creation. I could be wrong though

24. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Having opinions about something is fine, but calling people who liked it ‘morons’ immediately makes me want to ignore any point you make.

25. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Hey ya’ll this is the episode 9 hype and only episode 9 hype thread