Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Trek TV Show • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Mar 28, 2016.

1. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Was looking forward to Discovery but that trailer is pretty bad.

There's no energy or excitement and it looks freaking cheap. Man.

2. xthricex

Regular

Really don't understand why they went down the same path as enterprise regarding futuristic looking everything. Makes no sense. 10 years before TOS why does everything look like post Voyager tech?

3. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Hmm, they almost had me until that line about sensing death at the end. I know cable shows are usually a little cheesy, but damn that was just bad. It looks a lot better than I would expect though.

thedrudo likes this.
  4. tucah

not champ Prestigious

5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Doug is seriously the one thing I'm looking forward to at this point.

7. tucah

not champ Prestigious

8. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Anyone else watch Discovery yet? I like it.

FrenzalRob likes this.
  9. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

Two episodes in and I'm digging it. Just hope it doesn't get too cheesy.

10. Anthony_

I think it really is classic-feeling Trek just with an Abrams Trek coat of paint. It's definitely darker than old Trek was, but it definitely isn't a balls-to-the-wall action romp like the new films. It's way more thoughtful and compelling than I've seen it get credit for around the net. I definitely think it's a case of a book getting judged unfairly by its cover.

FrenzalRob likes this.
  11. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

Yeah, loving the look of it so far. Burnham is a great character too. Looking forward to how she develops.

Anthony_ likes this.
  12. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I think DS9 is now my favorite Trek show of the 3 I’ve watched (TOS, TNG, DS9)

Also maybe possibly a Hot take but I’m revisiting the newer Trek films and they’re great

tucah, FrenzalRob and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  13. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Hey Ringwald Haze!

Have you never seen Voyager?

14. CoffeeEyes17

Not yet nor Enterprise or Discovery. I’ve heard bad things about the former 2 but Discovery looks promising

15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I thought Enterprise was poop.

16. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Man, I loved Voyager. Maybe I'm biased because I grew up watching with my dad, but I like it! And in retrospect, I think it's great that the cast had such a strong female presence. Captain Janeway was great. Seven of Nine was also a favorite.

Then again I can't stand DS9 so what do I know?

aspeedomodel likes this.
  17. CoffeeEyes17

You wild as hell

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  18. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Voyager is my favorite and Enterprise is third favorite. It's not even close for me.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  19. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Same, grew up watching Voyager with my brothers/dad. Also could never get into DS9, I tried a bunch of times and just gave up.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  20. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Discovery got renewed for S2.

I'm a couple episodes behind at this point but it's...fine so far. It's a way better looking show than I thought it would be and I've liked the serialized approach so far but I'm not entirely sold on a lot of the cast and the plot's not quite hooking me yet. I'm still very glad new TV Trek exists in any form though, and it's still fairly early on in the show's life to have it grow on me. I want to love it!

aspeedomodel likes this.
  21. Anthony_

TNG will always be the pinnacle of Trek. Always.

tucah and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  22. Anthony_

I always go back and forth on whether II or VI is my favorite Trek film. Tough call because they're two of the greatest sci-fi films of all time in my opinion.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  23. CoffeeEyes17

Been watching some Voyager and it’s pretty solid. I like the main cast, Tuvok, Janeway, Seven Of Nine, and Chakotay especially. Seven is a really really interesting character, such a shame that she’s so fetishized but at least the show hasn’t gone super overboard with her yet. Ever since Q first introduced the Borg and The Best Of Both Worlds fleshed them out even more I’ve always wanted to see more of people who were former borgs and how they adapted to life and being individuals.

Speaking of here’s my odd introduction to Star Trek. After my father passed when I was young my mom would take me to stay with my grandma and grandpa (memaw and grandaddy as we southerners say :P) and they’d let me watch anything on tv and any movie I wanted. My grandma had told me she had a new Star Wars movie since I loved Star Wars as a kid. What she actually had was First Contact on VHS but since I was too young to operate a VCR she popped it in and left me be. I was so confused, that’s definitly not Luke or Han or any of the characters I knew. But I was so fascinated by it even if literally everything went way over my head. I’ll never forget the first time I saw the Borg, I remember being absolutely terrified when Picard had his flashback to being assimilated. I fell in love with Wharf the second I saw him aboard The Defiant and he yells “PREPARE FOR RAMMING SPEED”. I remember running away from the TV when the acid at the end of the movie kills the queen and SEEMINGLY BURNS HALF OF DATAS FACE OFF. It’s one of the few movies I’ve ever watched from beginning to end, had my grandma rewind it, and watched it again back to back. It’s weird what memories stick with you.

Anthony_ and tucah like this.
  24. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

man i really love discovery so far.

Anthony_ likes this.
  25. Anthony_

I'm still really enjoying it as well. Thought the stuff with Michael and Sarek this week was pretty well-done. As far as retcons go, I don't hate what they're doing there with that relationship.