Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Trek Beyond (Justin Lin, 2016) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, May 21, 2016.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Woah woah woah, before we go bringing True Detective season 2 into this, he only directed the first two episodes. And I recall them being very well-directed episodes too (although I haven't watched them since they aired). It's not like he wrote the thing.

Davjs likes this.
  2. Davjs

Trusted

I'm just saying, if we are bringing up their whole bodies of work....... :-)

3. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Just had to jump in here, but is the implication here that Star Trek Beyond relied more on nostalgia than the first two? Because the first one featured Leonard Nimoy as a main character and the second one was a redux of the most famous Star Trek film ever. Down to repeating infamous lines. I am not sure how you get any more reliant on nostalgia than that.

Beyond was the first film in this trilogy to make a nearly clean break from relying on nostalgia to sell the film.

As for where I fall: Abrams > Lin. ST > Beyond > >>>>>>>>>> Into darkness.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  4. Davjs

Trusted

Yeah I guess you are right. This one is just more in my mind from recent memory and Spock looking at the picture of the original cast took me out of the movie. Also the speech about the older Spock, while a super nice tribute to Lemony, took me out too because it felt like it was addressing Nimoy and not his character. That's just me though.

5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Fourth film lost its director and is shelved.

6. Ferrari333SP likes this.
  7. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Genuinely surprised they're giving it to Hawley after "Lucy in the Sky" tanked and just how weird his stuff usually is compared to how conventional the "Star Trek" films are. But I'm excited.

8. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Excited to see this franchise picking back up again

9. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

"The studio separately is working on a Star Trek spinoff that Quentin Tarantino is eyeing to direct and has been working on with JJ Abrams. This one would likely carry an R rating, with a screenplay by The Revenant scribe Mark L. Smith."

Niceeeeeeeeeee

10. Not sure what the pitch was for Hawley to direct the new Star Trek, but I'm into it.

Also, I never thought that QT-directed Star Trek spinoff would still be afloat.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  11. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

The first two seasons of Fargo (I like the third season as well, but it's nowhere near as good) and Legion are absolute tops, but that final season and Lucy in the Sky seem to be signs of a creator absolutely burning out. I was hoping after the new season of Fargo he'd take a break, but....here we are.

I'm more excited that it seems the whole cast is back on.

12. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Think it’ll be groovy

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

so i haven't seen this one before until now. liked it a lot save for krall and a couple other things

14. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

thedrudo and Penlab like this.
  15. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Nice

16. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  17. Penlab

Trusted Supporter