Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Trek Beyond (Justin Lin, 2016) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, May 21, 2016.

1. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

For most movies it's a gimmick they add in post to boost the amount per ticket.

There are always exceptions. but any action movie with even mild shaky cam gets unwatchable in 3D.

smoke4thecaper likes this.
  2. Thought this was a lot of fun. Some great action scenes and great character moments, except for the green screen usage in the motorcycle scene and Uhura being given nothing to do. I'd put Beyond on par with the other two. Watched Into Darkness again the other day and thought that was a ton of fun too. I don't get the hate for it, but I'm not really a Star Trek fan so idk.

3. Greg Jul 27, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 27, 2016)
    Greg

Literally just got done rewatching Into Darkness for the first time, since theaters? Yikes. I never bought it because I thought it was lame that the commentary was iTunes exclusive and I wanted physical content.

I agree with it holding up and really enjoying it. I think Kirk's arc along with Spock are fantastic and incredibly effective.

It does seem the less of a Trekkie someone is the more they enjoy the newer movies.

joe.boy.fresh. and Joe like this.
  4. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I've only seen the new films so I have nothing to compare them to but I enjoyed them a lot.

Davjs likes this.
  5. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

This was a very enjoyable summer blockbuster, just like the other two.

SpyKi likes this.
  6. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

That's pretty much what I want.

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Jaylah was so badass, didn't realize it was the villain from Kingsman that makes sense

8. windowbirds

close your eyes until tomorrow Supporter

It was fun.

9. Jonesy

Be my alibi?

I'm not into Star Trek, but I know that Khan is suppose to be an evil human being and I didn't really get that sense of him being a "bad guy" in the movie. I guy that was angry, sure. But evil? No. The one thing that could of made the movie a million times better was if during the opening sequence, you see the crew go to great lengths to stop a volcano from erupting only to a have a mysterious figure (Khan) sabotage their efforts and allow the volcano to erupt destroying a civilization. That way we at least get a first "fuck this guy" moment and the rest of the story can go forward with minimal tweaks.

10. Greg

Pretty sure the whole killing tons of Starfleet people serves as the "fuck that guy" moment.

RyanPm40 and Joe like this.
  11. Jonesy

Be my alibi?

For me that made me question why he did that, not hate him. If he blew up Starfleet people AND killed the little girl...which would be a complete evil move...I'd be fully on board that this guy is not to be trusted and needs to be taken down. I actually sympathized with him and thought he was justified in his anger.

12. Greg

You can have justified anger and have unjustified actions. Understanding why he takes his path does not justify it.

13. I think it's more interesting when a movie makes you sympathize with a villain instead of just outright hate them. Agreed with Greg's posts above. A lot of movies do the "justified anger + unjustified actions" villain, and it works. Plus, having him randomly show up and kill a random civilization in the beginning would take some of the focus away from Spock's whole arc about choosing to die without thinking of how that would affect Uhura and the others. Dude was plenty evil.

I always enjoyed the small bits in which the Enterprise crew go on missions that don't involve the main villain and wish we got more of that, but that would be more suited for a tv show I guess.

14. Jonesy

Be my alibi?

Well than many of my favorite movies that have vengeance at the heart of the motive take on a completely different vantage.
    Honestly to each their own and what you or I find appealing about films or not appealing will vary. But to respond.
    Khan killing an entire civilization to undermine Starfleets intentions would show his ruthlessness, you can still have the arc of Spock choosing to die and the affects on Uhura.

Khan wasn't the ultimate bad guy either, Admiral Marcus was more evil than Khan. Khan attacked and killed those he deemed responsible for taking his crew essentially, which is the exact premise of many films where an individual feels they have been wrong and we root for that person. Khan is suppose to be a superior being and look down on those less than him.

I know we are in alternate timelines, but they way he's described in that video doesn't match the villain portrayed.

15. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

I thought this was pretty silly and cheesy most of the time, but I was entertained so I can't complain. Simon Pegg is still my favorite part of these movies. Seeing more Chekov this time around was cool too

16. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Her voice was the first thing that made me think of her while watching the movie.

I liked this more than the second film. Fun movie.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  17. Davjs

Trusted

Watched this over the weekend. Pretty let down since the other two were so good, which is weird because its not like this is bad. Its just bland? To me it didn't seem like a movie, but rather a long tv episode if that makes sense. Maybe why people are saying this felt the most trek like lol.

Not a fan of how little some of the characters were used or how uninterested I was in most of what was going on even if it looked pretty. Really missed Abrams touch on this.

18. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yeah, this is why it was the best of the three.

cshadows2887 and stayillogical like this.
  19. Davjs

Trusted

I guess I get why people think that's a good thing, but I didn't get that cinematic feel I was expecting.

This isn't TV so since we don't get these weekly but every 3 years, I feel like it was a waste to tell this story with these characters. Spock, Sulu and Uhara didn't really have anything to do and I agree with whoever said it above that Scotty was written in more stuff to do then he should have been. Idris was also kinda wasted as the villain, such a fantastic actor covered up with makeup and an annoying voice.

I liked the new character Jaylah so I hope she returns if they do another one. Also it is always nice seeing Bones :-)

20. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

It's just that, if you watch the show, then you see that not every character gets equal screen time in every episode. Despite the fact that this is a film with some higher-profile names involved, it is still an ensemble piece. Not every character is going to be fully serviced in every Trek film because there are so many members of the crew and these are two-hour movies not 22-episode television seasons. So even in that sense it was more true to what Star Trek has always been. It made sense for the first film to devote screen time to everyone, but even in that one Sulu had almost nothing to do aside from his sword fight on top of the laser. And Chekov didn't do anything in that one either. So this isn't the first time that's happened.

Also, as to Scotty having an expanded role, well, if one wants more screen time it helps to be the one writing the film, doesn't it?

21. Davjs

Trusted

That's kinda my point. This wasn't a tv episode, its a movie. One that takes years to make. Every character should be serviced, if not only just a little bit. Sulu having the sword fight and Chekov learning to beam people up while falling for the first time were enough to have their big moments in the first one. My wife for instance will never watch the series, but liked the first two movies and was really bored by this one. I think there needs to be a difference between the movie and episodes, or why do one?

And yeah, I can't fault Pegg at all lol.

22. Davjs

Trusted

Wait, Lin has really done just this and the Fast and Furious Films. Abrams has done a great Mission Impossible, Star Wars, Super 8 and two Star Trek films. That comment seems really out there. Esp since this Star Trek seems to have the most nostalgia and familiar iconography of the 3 ST movies.

23. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Lin also did a handful of episodes of Community, one of which is transcendent. I don't like Abrams' Mission Impossible or Star Wars, or Into Darkness. Funny you accuse this of being nostalgic when, in Star Wars, Super 8, and Into Darkness, Abrams is leaning way too hard on nostalgia and what people already know and like about Star Wars, Star Trek, and Spielberg.

I'll take Star Trek: Beyond, Fast and the Furious, and all-time Community episodes over Force Awakens, MI:3, Super 8, and two Star Trek movies (one good, one bad) every time. I like Abrams work as a producer more than as a director. I was a big fan of Cloverfield, and despite its ferociously horrible ending, there's a lot I like about 10 Cloverfield Lane.

24. Davjs

Trusted

No arguing that TFA is completely reliant on nostalgia, my point was that out of the three Star Trek movies, this one had the most.

Forgot about Lin's tv work, but he also did True Detective Season 2. It's not that I don't like Lin's body of work, just had to call it out that it's a weird take over Abrams whose films are pretty beloved by most. He brought three franchises that are great back.

25. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I didn't watch True Detective season 2. But I don't think it's weird that I personally like what I've seen from Justin Lin's body of work more than J.J. Abrams' body of work, it's how I feel, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Davjs likes this.