Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Trek Beyond (Justin Lin, 2016) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, May 21, 2016.

1. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Nope. I think 3D is completely pointless for the majority of releases. Though a few shots here could have been cool in 3D if done right. But it's not my thing normally.

coleslawed likes this.
  2. Greg

Agreed.

Uhura had essentially nothing to do.

And I couldn't help but do a massive eye roll when they stop the third act to show us Edison's captain log where he has to spell out how he survived despite showing us how he was surviving earlier. Did they really think the audience wouldn't get it?

3. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Liked it. Didn't love it. I guess my main issue was I was never emotionally moved by anything. It was just a steady-flow of action scenes.

It's one that I think will improve on more viewings.

Jusscali likes this.
  4. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Also -- our IMAX screening showed the very first teaser for The Force Awakens as one of the previews. It was so weird.

5. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah I felt the film was mainly used to show off action scenes, without developing any serious emotional interest in either the characters or the story. At the end of the film it was as if nothing had changed, only that the crew is receiving a new/better ship

6. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Liked this a lot. Struggled with the villain's motivation at first but I thought it worked well in the end. Elba was really good (duhh). Whole supporting cast got some really great moments to shine.

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  7. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Just got back from seeing it and I really enjoyed this. Thought it was one a solid blockbuster. Probably the best of the trilogy so far. It's the only film of the three that actually felt like Star Trek. Guess that just further goes to show what kind of success you can have when a fan writes the screenplay.

8. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

This was excellent. A far, far superior sequel to the 2009 rebook than Into Darkness. There was a more subtle emotional core to the film than the previous two films, in Spock and Kirk's existential crises, and it imbibed every sequence of action far better than anything J.J. Abrams has ever done, skilled as he is at truly gorgeous looking setpieces. Maybe, maybe my favorite of the new Star Trek films. I really love the 2009 film, and while I was entertained by Into Darkness, it really falls apart with any pressure and again, given how strong Beyond works as a continuation of Kirk and Spock's arcs introduced in the 2009 film, I kind of just wish Into Darkness never happened.

9. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

^^^^^^

What he said. I lowered my expectations because of the lukewarm reception here but I loved it. The first is still my favorite, but this was good.

10. I actually really ended up liking the part with the Beastie Boys. That was fun.

11. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Will be seeing it this week. Any type of dedication to Anton Yelchin?

12. Credits have a message for Nemoy, and then "For Anton" after.

13. This was pretty disappointing. It was fine, I guess (minus a few really, really bad parts, and a director that apparently wants his audience to get seasick with all his weird camera movements in every gd scene).

Easily the worst of the new movies. But still fine to watch or put on. I don't see any reason I'd want to run out and see it again though.

Real bummer of a final climax, and I'm just gonna leave the whole "Sabotage" part alone because oy vey.

ship90 likes this.
  14. Good point on the camera movements. Thought I was on a theme park ride at some points.

15. Best part about this movie was the Rogue One trailer

16. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

The scotch scene definitely felt like a nod to Yelchin.

17. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I enjoyed the "Sabotage" part. Beastie Boys's songs have played a part in all of the new films, so it was nice they threw that in.

18. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Yeah, this was just okay for me. I thought critics were saying this was action-packed, but it really wasn't. The motorcycle chase felt like it was limited to a square-foot range of 600 ft. Not like I hated it, I still enjoyed enough, but I can't say there was anything very memorable or exciting about it.

Could have been worse. It could have been Spectre.

Jason Tate likes this.
  19. Hahaha, I literally said this exact same thing on the way home.

smoke4thecaper likes this.
  20. Greg

Hahahaha I haven't rematched Spectre since theater. I thought it was okay. No Skyfall for sure.

Back to Trek, I enjoyed this fine. Not great, but I enjoyed it, some strong character stuff carried the middle of the film. Not much else was going on. I kinda dug the Sabotage stuff. It worked for me, at least in the moment. We shall see how it holds up on repeat viewings. I liked this more than Darkness, I still think the reboot was the best so far.

21. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I watched the first two for the first time over the past few days and loved them. Hoping I enjoy this too.

22. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Love the obligatory floaty things in the air to warrant having the movie in 3D.

23. smoke4thecaper

Lol the 3D for this movie was so pointless. Pissed I paid for it in the format, but in all fairness, I saw this on a whim and the standard show had started 30 min before. Not even the depth of frame was worth the admission.

24. Greg

Most 3D is pointless. It's very rare I go for it.

25. smoke4thecaper

I think I've been fooling myself into thinking it's "why I go to these movies," but in the end, it isn't worth it. I'm heeding your advice, ha.