Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Trek Beyond (Justin Lin, 2016) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, May 21, 2016.

1. Out 7/22

2. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

I feel like there's almost no hype for this movie.

3. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

I'm still hyped.

Second trailer is pretty cool.

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Simon Pegg helping write this has me the most excited

5. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

2nd trailer is way better than the first. Kind of looking forward to this now.

beachdude42, jkauf and popdisaster00 like this.
  6. Really liked the last 2, and this trailer is better. I'll be seeing it.

7. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I enjoy Justin Lin's body of work a great deal more than JJ Abrams', so I'm interested to see what the franchise will look like set free from Abrams' ties to nostalgia and familiar iconography.

8. I think that's Star Trek's ties more than anything ... it's kind of their thing. The biggest complaint I saw from the die-hard Star Trek fans ... were where he changed things.

9. Nathan

I've seen those complaints too, and they can be overblown. The 2009 Star Trek is my favorite J.J. Abrams film because while it had callbacks, it still felt fresh. But Into Darkness was a remake of Wrath of Khan, which was a great movie because of the Star Trek legacy it had built with those characters and adventures. Killing Kirk the second movie in felt a lot like Snyder going Death of Superman in BvS, his Superman's second outing. Not that it's as straight up bad as BvS, there's a lot of fun stuff in it, but it recreates many of the same scenes and feels more indulgent than earned. His two entries in the series were an origin story and a remake, I'm hoping with Pegg and Lin we finally get a new adventure for these guys, established as a crew who can just be a crew, untethered from the original series or previously established characters.

Unfortunately, these are modern blockbusters, not a TV show, so they don't have the freedom to really let adventures breathe and be slower or more subtle, which was a huge part of how the original series worked so beautifully. But I'm definitely interested to see what the creative team of Pegg, a brilliant writer who does character work sublimely, and Lin, maybe the most exciting action director working, can put together with one of the best ensemble casts in modern blockbuster franchises, a credit to Abrams skill in casting.

10. I am curious about the new series, but man, I don't wanna sign up for a new streaming service.

11. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

A streaming service you pay for, yet still have commercials?

12. Nathan

Ugh, yeah, the entertainment streaming services I subscribe to are getting out of hand. I think I'm at Netflix, Hulu, Howl, and HBO Now currently. Luckily I moved back to the Detroit area so I don't need MLB.tv as much anymore and could axe that, but then Criterion has a streaming service coming out, Seeso has a bunch of stuff I'm interested in, and then the video game services that are popping up. It's such a pain.

13. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

That second trailer is WAYYYYY better than the first one. Just kind of over the Enterprise being destroyed and stories taking place off it. Also, still not a fan of dirt bikes in space.

14. Ger

Newbie Prestigious

This looks way better than Into Darkness.

15. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Newest trailer is great, I keep forgetting this movie is out this summer despite being a bit Trek fan.

Jdaniels likes this.
  16. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

Even though this is a teaser, I was still disappointed. I don't really get why it seems to hint at it relating to the original series (with the logo), and also, I had no idea it was just going to be called Star Trek. I was really hoping they did another proper full series in the vein of TNG, Voyager & DS9. I watched those as a kid and recently watched the entirety of them in the past few years, and really enjoyed it. Obviously it's early days, but I really don't want something (well, another thing) that borrows heavily from the original series.

I enjoyed the first of these Star Trek movies when it came out, but really didn't like the last film, and it just isn't Star Trek. It just feels so generic and it isn't really anything to do with everything that came before it. They just feel like throwaway blockbusters, and seemingly not very good ones at that.

17. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Man, it's going to be so sad watching this after Anton Yelchin's passing. I haven't seen Green Room yet, but I've heard he was great in it.

18. Nathan

Ordered Birth Movies Death's commemorative Star Trek magazine, excited for that.

19. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

Any UK Star Trek fans: All the series are now on Netflix UK. Finally.

20. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Jason Tate likes this.
  21. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Remember how pissed off people were after that first teaser?

Jason Tate likes this.
  22. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

The first trailer was definitely pretty underwhelming, but the 2nd trailer convinced me. Probably gonna see this one on discount Tuesday.

23. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Just got back from seeing it. I liked it. Not great, but a lot of fun. Won't say much more at this point to avoid spoilers for the next day or so.

24. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Did you see it in 3D?

25. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

It was okay. Harmless viewing. Definitely wanted more from the villain and felt like Pegg wrote his character into the film more at the expense of characters I like better.