Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

St. Vincent - MASSEDUCTION (October 13, 2017) Album • Page 13

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 21, 2017.

1. manoverboard365

Trusted

Some individual tracks:

Now, Now
    Chloe in the Afternoon
    Cruel
    Digital Witness
    Birth in Reverse
    Cheerleader
    Masseduction
    Los Ageless
    New York
    Marry Me
    Strange Mercy
    Laughing with a Mouth of Blood

No particular order there, just thinking off the top of my head. But her biggest songs were definitely Cruel and Digital Witness.

mescalineeyes likes this.
  2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

That is a fantastic list.

Add Surgeon from the 4ad season though

3. mescalineeyes

ASHAMED (OF BEING BORN) Prestigious

the 4Ad session should be a must watch for anyone who's even remotely into music. It's sublime.

manoverboard365, Mary V and cwhit like this.
  4. cwhit

one of my favorite recorded sessions ever

5. mescalineeyes

ASHAMED (OF BEING BORN) Prestigious

feel free to share the others that you deem as good/better, would love to check 'em out if they're THIS good.

6. mirrorsandfevers

what is the vibe?

At first I thought Savior was a weak track between Happy Birthday, Johnny and New York but the chorus gets stuck in my head these days

7. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

manoverboard365 likes this.
  8. radiodead

Trusted

Probably late to this, didn’t see it. She went on about 25 minutes after the movie played. It was a little bit of a fake out.

I loved everything about the actual show though. Loved that it was just her. Loved the visuals. Loved the retrospective first set. Loved seeing the album played front to back. Excellent

Album of the year for me easily.

Side note: “Sugarboy” got the biggest ovation of the new stuff which was surprising, not a personal highlight.

9. cwhit

yeah, i saw the show that night haha. actually was not a fan of the setup at all, i feel that if she wanted to do it this way she needed to go weirder and wilder, felt the set didn't commit to what she wanted to do and didn't do it well enough

10. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Can't wait for tomorrow!

11. manoverboard365

Trusted

12. radiodead

Trusted

Gorgeous. I think I’ve seen almost half of the MASSEDUCTION on year end track lists. Amazing.

13. Jim

Trusted Supporter

so perfect

14. radiodead

Trusted

This is officially my AoTY. Melodrama is 2 by a nose. Jay Som 3.

I think MASS is better start to finish. Melodrama has a few higher highs, but I think Dynamite and Sober are my least favorite songs between both records.

15. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

That's interesting, I think I feel the opposite, although I can't say which one I like more. MASS is probably a more challenging record, certainly more dynamic and with more going on creatively, whereas Melodrama plays it a bit safer, fewer risks, but more approachable. MASS for me definitely has better highs, but also lower lows, than Melodrama, which I enjoy consistently straight through.

16. radiodead

Trusted

I think I would take Supercut and Perfect Places over anything. After that I think I would favor a lot of the tracks off MASS. Both albums are pretty unrelenting though in terms of quality. I mean in the end though it’s fun to discuss but really both records are super important to me and I love listening. Now if we could just get that Melodrama vinyl.....

jpmalone4 and mirrorsandfevers like this.
  17. Jim

Trusted Supporter

im team MASS> Melodrama.

amorningofsleep likes this.
  18. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I like this album a lot but nowhere near as much as Melodrama

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

They're both good, no need to pit women against each other

20. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

While I agree, I think they’re just comparing albums that Jack Antonoff produced this year

ChaseTx and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

It's wild that he produced a my top two

ChaseTx and ComedownMachine like this.
  22. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  23. radiodead

Trusted

Yea never meant to pit the two against each other. Only commented that they are my top 2. Comparing my favorite and least favorite tracks from each. Just happen to be made by women.

And I think they are somewhat easy to compare. I think it’s the colors they produce in my mind when listening to them. They almost feel as a whole in my mind. Maybe the deep blues and fluorescents that populate Melodrama or the bright violent pinks and yellows of MASSEDUCTION. Each record sinks it’s claws into me. Neither is overstuffed. Every piece essential. The two easiest listens of 2017 in my opinion. That’s a compliment.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  24. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

It's also just been a fantastic year for women in rock/pop I think, and so there's just bound to be some assessments, not just these two, but also Phoebe Bridgers, Paramore, the XX, Haim, Julien Baker, Japanese Breakfast, Slowdive, Land of Talk, Feist... all really fantastic, diverse stuff I expect the music community will be ranking, discussing in year end write ups. That's a good thing.

25. radiodead

Trusted

Can’t remember how to post videos but she did a great acoustic version of “Los Ageless” on the daily show.