Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

St. Vincent - Daddy's Home (May 14, 2021) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

i wanna be loveddddddddddd

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

very weird funkly little track, not entirely sure how much I like it, but I very much appreciate what it does. I'm sure it'll work more in context as well.

3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

her look in this looks so much like a 90s/00s actress whose name is absolutely escaping me. fuck.

4. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

A friend said she looked like Mia Wallace

5. phaynes12

that isn’t what i’m thinking of but that’s a good shout

she was a comedies actress and she shouted a lot

6. phaynes12

upload_2021-3-4_14-15-25.jpeg

not the most flattering picture lol but this lady

7. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

very much not digging the single, bummer

8. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

It’s interesting. I definitely hear the Prince comparisons.

9. manoverboard365

Trusted

This song has grown on me immensely

10. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Saw this on Twitter. What's everyone's thoughts?

11. Bad take

stars143, Jim and Carrow like this.
  12. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

super weird and kinda massively arrogant take

13. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

To be clear, I just started getting into St. Vincent and that is not a take I agree with, I just saw it and was curious if it was a popular one among fans or some out there bad take.

Drew Beringer likes this.
  14. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

The idea that she can’t be affected by her dad being a shitty person because she was an adult when the arrest happened sure is something

Crisp X and FrankieThe4th like this.
  15. Importer/Exporter

Like 95% of art is about the artist’s relationship with their Wall Street dads

16. Importer/Exporter

Like, i get being suspicious of PR teams, who generally are cynical. But i think that should be a discussion framed around those teams, not Annie. It just makes it feel weird and personal.

17. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Guys, I'm sure that twitter person fully researched everything about her father and his prison sentence and interviewed Annie about what it means to her before posting that tweet

Cameron likes this.
  18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

19. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

“not that interested in hearing about how a white woman whipped herself bc her dad did insider trading”

What an absurdly callous thing to say. I haven’t seen anywhere where Annie or even PR people supposedly excuse or downplay what her dad did. Like it seems like the “spin” is simply that it the focus of it is entirely about *her* and her feelings towards the event, not what he did. Which, it is her art so of course it is about her.

Coming to terms with the idea that a close relative — somehow who *literally raised you* — did something horrendous and criminal is absolutely a topic worth of artistic merit, regardless of what that horrendous thing is. And being able to communicate and come into contact with them outside the confines of a highly restrictive prison system is also a huge deal in and of itself, whether you’re sympathetic towards them or not.

Collins and Contender like this.
  20. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Ok yeah I found these quotes from a Guardian profile

St Vincent: ‘I’d been feral for so long. I was sort of in outer space’

Like, this just does not come across like the apologia that that person seems to think it is lol. Annie is clearly writing about it from a place of self-reflection.

FrankieThe4th likes this.
  21. radiodead

Trusted

Yea the discourse around this album....that a majority of people haven’t even heard yet, has been wild.

22. Fronnyfron

Woke Up Right Handed Prestigious

People will jump through an infinite number of hoops to discredit a woman. If this was by a male we wouldn't hear anything of the sort

Carrow and FrankieThe4th like this.
  23. Importer/Exporter

Yeah, David Berman also publicly discussed having a shitheel Wall Street dad, people weren’t weirdos to him about it.

Carrow likes this.
  24. phaynes12

well, they kinda were haha. but the larger point stands that they should be and it’s absurd people ever were in either scenario.

25. Henry

Moderator Moderator

This is getting a good amount of plays on the alt rock station here.

Its one of those "Should we play this song?" ones though which always worries me.