Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Square Acquires Majority Stake in Jay-Z’s Tidal for $297 Million

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Hollywood Reporter:

Square, the mobile payments firm run by Jack Dorsey, has agreed to acquire a majority stake in Jay-Z’s music streaming service Tidal for $297 million, the companies announced Thursday.

Through the deal, Jay-Z and Tidal’s other artist shareholders — including Beyoncé, Madonna and Rihanna — will continue to own their piece of the business, which will operate as an independent division within Square.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. RaginCajun

Better than you, sorry

must be nice to get a bailout

3. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i still can't believe there are Tidal users.

genuinely curious, what does it offer that Spotify or Apple Music don't?

thechetearly likes this.
  4. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I don't use it, but they offer higher audio quality.

5. ThePrisoner

For Your Health Supporter

Usually *up to* 24bit/192khz, though a lot are CD quality and up to 24/96. One of the first major streamers to stream lossless and hi-resolution music.

6. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

If thisss serious competitor the other services would have had another line that offered the same. The market is so small that it wasn’t worth it. Spotify just announced another tier, years after Tidal offered theirs.

thechetearly likes this.