Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spotify App • Page 6

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Supernova, May 6, 2016.

1. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

You can't with the updated version :/

2. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

So weak. Can't get Spotify to download at my new job.

3. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

4. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

I luckily was able to get the desktop version but the proxy is all messed up and won't display any artwork. The things we do to scrobble.

5. jorbjorb

7 rings

new web app kinda sucks. I can't sort albums for shit

redwing91007 likes this.
  6. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

I don't get the new versions of Spotify at all. The web one has made it a lot more awkward to search and lost Last.fm connectivity, while both desktop and web seem to have dumped the ability to directly share playlists with people on Spotify. The new share mechanism is total shit by comparison.

I like the daily mixes and the option for curated autoplay, but why mess up the UI at the same time?

Jdaniels likes this.
  7. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

it's also now impossible to follow (or even look up) user accounts on the web player.

8. I have many albums that are downloaded but I don't have them selected as "downloaded", what's up with that?

9. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Anyone tried apple music lately? I've been paying for spotify for years, tried the free apple music trial back in the day but didn't really care for it. Wondering if it's gotten any better?

10. jorbjorb

7 rings

It's still not that great. I'll give it a go again when ios11 comes out.

11. Onlyadirector

Trusted Supporter

If you're on Android then absolutely not. App is poorly optimized (which I can't really blame them considering Android's fragmented state) and really clunky. Streaming quality seems better than Spotify Android but they'll be launching lossless format subscriptions this year so I'm sure that'll change.

12. Dave Diddy

No I'm on an iphone. I also have an apple watch and macbook pro, so it probably makes sense for me to use apple music. But i've been holding on to spotify because of the web browser version so i can listen at work without having to wear down my phone battery. So I'm kinda torn.

Onlyadirector likes this.
  13. Onlyadirector

Trusted Supporter

I'd go with @jorbjorb 's advice and keep it until at least iOS11 in that case. Web players are quite underrated.

jorbjorb likes this.
  14. jorbjorb

7 rings

the only upper hand apple music has over spotify is carplay. spotify is still really buggy on that platform.

15. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

Just switched back to Apple Music yesterday. Main reason was that there was a noticeable difference in sound quality between the two:

I queued the new Paramore album on both Spotify and Apple Music in my car via bluetooth. Spotify has quality settings set to stream on Extreme quality. Volume in the car is set to 20 and bluetooth volume is maxed on my iPhone. I press play on Apple Music and it sounds good. I switch over to the same song on Spotify and the volume sounds like it has been cut in half and the sound is VERY tinny. Quantified this further by putting Apple Music volume on 18 - to get equal Spotify volume I had to turn it up to 32. I've tried the same experiment on my iPad with similar results.

Apple Music itself is okay, Spotify has better playlist suggestions. Pop-Punk specific options, whereas apple suggests "Alternative or Rock" that will happen to have some blink or Green Day in it. I did find the Daily Mix lists on Spotify to be awesome at first, but after awhile they got old and basically just threw the last stuff I listened to into categorized play lists. There didn't seem to be anything too intelligent about it once you really used it after a few weeks.

From what I can tell Apple still doesn't have things like a personalized release radar, but the New Releases list in the For You section on Apple Music did suggest the albums that were just released on Friday that I was interested in.

16. jorbjorb

7 rings

I did notice a quality difference too. The interface was enough for me to switch to spotify though.

coleslawed likes this.
  17. Dave Diddy

Alright noted, thanks for the reply.

18. Seamus Leavey Music

Seamus Leavey Music

Hey sorry to interupt if anyones into this let me know what you think :) Seamus Leavey
    recorded on garageband, but been in studio since then and have tracks waiting to get mastered.

19. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

I'm not sure how long most of you here have been using Spotify, but does anyone else remember where you would be able to actually send messages to users you follow over the Spotify desktop application? I was just wondering what happened to that the other day. After digging through the entire UI, I don't see anywhere I can do this. Did they remove that functionality?

Also to go along with direct communication via the Spotify application, I used to also be able to right-click on an album or playlist, click share, and it would bring up a list of users that I follow and who follow me and I could send it directly to them. Now when I hit share, all I see are ways to share via things like Facebook, Messenger, Twitter, Telegram (wtf...), Skype, etc. Can I not just send something directly to a follower anymore? And I realize I can just send them the URI or web link, but this used to be integrated.

Jdaniels likes this.
  20. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I think they got rid of the internal social network because not enough people were using it.

21. Dave Diddy

Yeah I know they got rid of it for the browser version (have to use that at work), so I wouldn't be surprised if they removed that functionality from the desktop version as well.

Jdaniels likes this.
  22. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Ugh that's such a bummer. I actually used it quite a bit until it got so buried I forgot about it and now I guess it's completely gone. RIP

23. jorbjorb

7 rings

no one uses it because it' was shit. wish they would have tried to improve on it. Rdio was the best.

24. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

I really dislike that they removed the ability to share directly between users. I used that quite a bit.

25. jorbjorb

7 rings

I think if you just set it in your mobile phone app it will still scrobble when you use the web player.