Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spotify to Introduce “Block/Mute” Feature

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Tom Warren, writing at The Verge:

Spotify is getting ready to enable a block feature in its apps to mute artists you don’t want to hear from. Spotify is currently testing the “don’t play this artist” feature in its latest iOS app, and The Verge has been able to test the new block functionality ahead of its release soon. The feature simply lets you block an entire artist from playing, so that songs from the artist will never play from a library, playlist, chart list, or even radio stations on Spotify.

2. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I like that. But hopefully they’ll change the artist page back, I hate the update.

Dog Fish likes this.
  3. Fox83

Trusted

I'd love this. Way overdue.

slickdtc likes this.
  4. Dog Fish

Mutt

man, how will that affect my radio stations that only play the same ~10 artists.

Raku likes this.
  5. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

Super excited to finally stop getting recommendations to listen to Pinegrove and JANK.

Joe4th and Jason Tate like this.
  6. Fox83

Trusted

I wonder how confused Spotify will be when I shoot down all the crap it thinks I like because my kids sabotage my account almost daily.

slickdtc and smowashere like this.
  7. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

Did Baby Shark show up on your Top 5 too? LOL

Fox83 and tyramail like this.
  8. Fox83

Trusted

Ha. Thankfully it's not that bad. It's very random though. Spotify thinks my top tracks for 2018 include NSYNC's Bye Bye Bye, Party Hard by Andrew WK, and High Hopes by P!ATD. There are worst lists of course.

The worst is when the cleaning lady has Alexa play Kenny Chesney at my house once a month for 4+ hours. That really fucked with my profile. First world problems, I know, I know.

slickdtc and Dan O'Neill like this.
  9. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I can get down with this!

What do you guys think about the new artist page layout?? I like the old version waaaaay better.

10. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

fucking thank goodness. it is good for problematic artists obv but really i am just so glad i will be able to block all the shitty pop punk that gets forced into my Discover Weekly and Release Radar. i did nothing to deserve this fate

Joe4th, Jake W and SEANoftheDEAD like this.
  11. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I can’t stand it haha. I like the bigger artist picture and the follow button being up top, but I hate the rest.

slickdtc and SEANoftheDEAD like this.
  12. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I also hate that they finally separated EPs from albums and now that’s back to being combined under the new garbage discography page.

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  13. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Yeah I can't stand it. I'd love to know their thinking behind the new layout.

tyramail likes this.
  14. currytheword

Trusted

Would love this for Apple Music. Might write up a mock list for when the feature comes, headed by Chris Brown’s name.

15. brothemighty

Trusted

Peace out Chris Brown features