Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spotify Testing Lossless Version of Service

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Verge is reporting that Spotify is preparing to launch a lossless version of it’s streaming service:

The streaming service began running a test on a small group of users yesterday, offering the Hi-Fi service for $5 to $10 above the $10 per month price for Spotify Premium.

2. Tyler Mills

Bread makes you fat?! Supporter

The ad shows "Discounts on limited edition vinyl" and "One free vinyl record" but the article doesn't mention that at all. Any speculation on how that might work? Are artists going to sell vinyl directly through Spotify? Or is that already a thing and I'm just behind the times?

Would be willing to try out the lossless service with or without the vinyl, but depending on how that part works it could be a cool value-add over Tidal

3. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

In terms of selling vinyl through Spotify I've seen links for that stuff on artist pages but it seems like it goes through some sort of third party that has some deal worked out with Spotify to list stuff for sale on artist's pages.

4. Kuri44

Would $10 extra actually be worth it for lossless audio? I'm not too familiar with that term, but from what I've read it's basically a CD quality of the song (?) I'm actually quite happy with the quality Spotify has and personally wouldnt find it necessary to pay $120 extra each year for that option

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  5. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

For most people, I don't think it would be worth it. Cool to have the option though I suppose.

Damien Davies likes this.
  6. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

I'd pay an extra 5 for lossless but not 10.

7. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

$5 would probably be the better price point seeing how much of a failure Tidal is and that would bring it in line with that

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  8. Tylar

I'm very down for this, I think $5 more would be ideal but wouldn't be surprised if it was $10 extra.

alex miller likes this.
  9. hermanthehermit

Paris, Texas Climate Accord Supporter

Looking through the Reddit thread, it appears they're doing $5 for single memberships and $10 for family.

Tylar and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  10. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Pretty good way for them to increase their revenue stream and get near profitability, even if it's not something the masses of Spotify users decide to go with

11. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

I get Spotify free through work....wonder if they'd spring for this version?

12. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Where do you work that does this?

13. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Starbucks

14. The Format

Regular

And yet they still don't allow more than 10,000 saved songs. Priorities people!

15. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

My understanding is, the difference would be pretty much un-noticable unless you have some really nice audio equipment.

16. alex miller

Regular

For every awesome feature that Spotify implements, there's always something minor that they haven't ironed out yet. The worst was when they got rid of the "find" or "filter" function to search for songs within playlists. That was terrible.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  17. Kuri44

I hate that you can't delete a song by swiping in a playlist anymore

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  18. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Bit disappointed with Spotify currently. the new web GUI (not sure if they've rolled out something similar for the app) is a buggy mess currently and I find it considerably less easy to navigate.

No idea why they've removed starred songs and Last.fm connectivity.

Brand New likes this.
  19. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Removed last.fm connectivity? From the web? Mine is still connected and tracking

20. MrCon

Since they changed the web player, mine doesn't seem to be connected and I can't figure out how you're meant to do it now. Maybe you only get it with premium?

21. Dave Diddy

Yeah I'm on premium so maybe that's it? For me, if i click on the gear icon in the lower left hand corner (on browser version) it brings up a list and at the bottom it still says "scrobble to last.fm: connected as ....". And I logged into last.fm and it's still scrobbling

22. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I'm not on premium and i just reconnected via the web app. like said above, just click the gear and it is under the social section.

23. MrCon

What you're both describing is how it used to be done. In the web player I get now, that cog isn't there any more.

24. Dave Diddy

Ah yeah, sorry my update just got pushed over now. And you're right, I have no idea where the last.fm connection is located anymore. I dug through my "account overview" part and didn't see it anywhere and last.fm isn't scrobbling for me right now.

MrCon likes this.