Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spotify Removing Hate Music From Service

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Spotify has begun removing white-supremacist music from its service:

Spotify says it has removed an array of white-supremacist acts from its streaming service that had been flagged as racist “hate bands” by the Southern Poverty Law Center three years ago.[…]

A Spotify spokeswoman told Billboard in a statement that while the music in its catalog comes from hundreds of thousands of record companies and aggregators all over the world, and those are “at first hand responsible” for the content they deliver, “illegal content or material that favors hatred or incites violence against race, religion, sexuality or the like is not tolerated by us.”

2. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I guess it's a good thing that I didn't know this type of music existed. What is wrong with people?

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  3. Junction183

I remember in high-school a lot of "punks" were big fans of the band Screwdriver. Losers indeed.

4. AP_Punk Aug 17, 2017
    (Last edited: Aug 17, 2017)
    AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

bye bye, Death in June, Boyd Rice and neo folk.

hopefully

5. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Bravo.

6. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

took them long enough

7. AsfAstAswegofar

Regular

Yay!

8. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

Same thought as @Spencer Control. It should have never made it onto Spotify, let alone sat there untouched.

That being said, it's a good thing that it's finally being removed. Let people know that hate has no place anywhere.

9. Chinesefood

Regular

People are actually upset about this because they believe it infringes on bands' freedom of speech. Alt Press posted about this on facebook and the comments are absolutely mind-boggling.

10. The Format

Regular

Would Wheeler Walker Jr. be included?

11. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Can always count on that tired response. [Insert mandatory explanation of the real meaning of "freedom of speech" here]

12. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

Hell Yeah.