Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spotify Removes R. Kelly From Playlists

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 10, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Spotify has a “Hate Content & Hateful Conduct Policy” that states:

We don’t censor content because of an artist’s or creator’s behavior, but we want our editorial decisions – what we choose to program – to reflect our values. When an artist or creator does something that is especially harmful or hateful (for example, violence against children and sexual violence), it may affect the ways we work with or support that artist or creator.

As of today they’ve used this policy to remove R. Kelly and XXXTentacion from their playlists. A Spotify spokesperson told Billboard:

We are removing R. Kelly’s music from all Spotify owned and operated playlists and algorithmic recommendations such as Discover Weekly. His music will still be available on the service, but Spotify will not actively promote it.

Good.

2. Kuri44

I wonder if/when they’ll do the same for Brand New. I’ve seen some of their songs in recommended punk/rock playlists.

coleslawed and CSWAPPO like this.
  3. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Yeah that seems fine.

CSWAPPO likes this.
  4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Honestly surprised it took them so long.

coleslawed and DaydreamNation like this.
  5. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

Apparently they've already been taken off a bunch of them.

Kuri44 likes this.
  6. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

xxxtentacion too? that's good. I feel like r kelly is an easy target because he's washed, but xxx is one of the hottest rappers.

skogsraet likes this.
  7. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

this is a bigger deal than a lot of people think, playlists are how xxx got big in the first place and is one of the biggest thing driving popular artists especially in hip hop

8. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

i've been doing a lot of research on playlist marketing, and it's really the best/only way to use streaming to blow up. if you can get on a big playlist, you can easily generate 6-figure listens, which is enough to establish you as a hyped artist.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  9. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Interesting.

10. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I'm in a tiny, tiny band but saw an increase in numbers even when 2% of our finds started to be from Spotify playlists, haha. It's pretty wild.

11. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

RapCaviar has over 9 million followers so that will be a huge loss for xxx. Good.

Turkeylegz and tyramail like this.
  12. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

pls add filters to playlists so i can block chris brown from my bops

13. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Cool move that will prob result in some frustrating backlash but spotify playlist streams are a big deal so this is big

tyramail likes this.
  14. Came to point out Chris Brown getting another pass. I don’t get it man. Pull that dude

DaydreamNation and Arry like this.
  15. Butinsmallsteps

Regular

Happy about this.

16. robargarthan

Feels a little too late for R. Kelly, though still good it happened. I'm more satisfied with XXX being taken off. How anyone can still listen his music is beyond me.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  17. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

Yes please! Let me decide if I want to hear an artist or not.

Although I gotta admit, I don’t listen to any Spotify playlists. Lol. But I know and understand how many other people do and how popular they are. This news is a big deal.