Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spotify Removes ‘Hate Conduct’ Provision From New Content Policy • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

I apparently was not clear enough in what I was saying. I am completely for the exclusion of certain artists from Spotify generated playlists, random via algorithm or in house selected for promotion, but I agree with their reasoning in the second paragraph quoted in this headline. They are acknowledging there's a line that has to be drawn somewhere, but that they don't want to be the ones to draw that line. It's cowardly to not take on that responsibility (it's their software and their platform, who would else but them should do it?) but I can understand why they are hesitant to dive into the past of every artist and cast moral judgement that could essentially end up blacklisting someone from the industry all together.

2. Analog Drummer

Regular

That is the real dilemma, what gets you blacklisted. It’s not exactly black and white and completely subjective. Perhaps they need to have a full on conduct guidelines, but that would be ever changing

3. My god do people make bad arguments.

AshlandATeam and tyramail like this.
  4. HarrisonMonopoly

Regular

truly curious here......are you cancelling Spotify or apple music? what about Netflix? im sure theres plenty of people with allegations against them on Netflix?

5. Catalog is not editorial.

6. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Well, we're at the 'if you don't like our country, get out!' part of the discussion.

Here's something: it's possible to both be disappointed by and critical of something and not think they're perfect, and still see the value in what they do. Liking something isn't the same as full moral endorsement.

Actually, admitting the above paragraph, in my opinion, would change the heart of a lot of arguments and disagreements online.

7. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

If the Internet ever needs a catch phrase, I think we found a front runner.

Jason Tate likes this.
  8. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

Sonic the Anarchist Hedgehog | Sonic the Hedgehog | Know Your Meme

for real though, i'm a loyal spotify fan and yes this is making me consider switching to apple music, who afaik has implemented a similar policy without walking it back.... hope that helps

HarrisonMonopoly likes this.
  9. GreyWall

Is my browser messed up or are the posts on the first page all from 3 days ago, whats going on? I used to go to absolutepunk and there were always a ton of news/stories/reviews/etc. that were posted and updated constantly. I check in here from time to time and it seems like there are days where nothing is posted, or there just a news dump of like 10 things at random time. I didnt post on absolutepunk and everyone seems to say the posters sucked, but when i come in threads like this they are just...yeah? anyway, oh well

10. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

chilllll likes this.
  11. somethingwitty

Trusted

There's still Brand New content on this site?! Gross...

Raku likes this.
  12. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

Yes. Every single opinion other than Jason Tate's is founded on illogical nonsense (even if it is a hotly debated issue dividing the population. Side Jason = Side right. Always). So many people forget that around here (including myself).

Raku, Analog Drummer and Stevangelion like this.
  13. Yeah that’s exactly what I said.

heartsdietoo and Helloelloallo like this.
  14. lol. You're such a clown version of a human.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  15. I don't post news on the weekend.

16. Stevangelion

We Can (Not) Make It Alone.

Can you delete my account? Can't seem to figure out how to do it.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  17. somethingwitty

Trusted

Ok? Just thought it would all be removed.

18. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

These slippery slope arguments are atrocious. There's a pretty clear line between not putting an artist in your playlists because they literally beat women and "potentially blacklisting" an artist over a decade old tweet. And it's not like Spotify is actually worried about crossing that because - and I thought this should be obvious - Spotify controls Spotify's policies.

tyramail, AshlandATeam and mercury like this.
  19. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

I disagree with how you're viewing the situation. Yes Spotify controls their own policies, but it's not like they operate within a bubble and generate their own revenue. The decisions that they make, have repercussions with their subscribers so what's even your point in regards to that statement? They have already walked back once, so your statement that they will do what they want and why are we worried, has already proved a bit false. Their policies are absolutely affected by their subscribers and partners opinions.

Yes, the tweet example is on the minor end, but who's to say they won't be pressured by a label who had artist A blocked from spotify playlists, to block artist B who was arrested for something 10 years ago, but has worked hard to better themselves and give back after whatever incident that was? It's controversial around here, but I don't hold any of the celebrity 'jobs' (Athletes, Actors/actresses, musicians) to a non second chance policy. I am sure I have/had coworkers who have been arrested in the past and improved their life and got a second chance in their industry.

My thoughts on the issue are that I can completely understand why Spotify has said they don't want to be judge, jury and executioner and with how the initial policy was worded and implemented, they were signing on for more than they bargained for. I do however think that they have to do something because it's immoral and unacceptable to actively promote some of the artists that they are. I don't have an answer for how their policy needs to be worded, but how it initially came out, and the push back they received, I understand and to an extent agree with their reasoning for walking back on it.

I like this piece (please all read and respond back with how trash it is)
    What Went Wrong With Spotify’s ‘Hateful Conduct’ Policy?

HarrisonMonopoly likes this.