Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spotify Premium Users Will Get Some Albums Two Weeks Before Free Users

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Verge:

Spotify has agreed to a new licensing agreement with Universal Music Group, the companies announced today. As part of the deal, Spotify has agreed to allow new albums from Universal artists to be restricted to its premium service for up to two weeks moving forward, confirming our report from last month. Spotify will also pay slightly less to UMG in royalty fees, according to sources close to the situation.

2. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

I have to think this turns away more users than it converts into Premium users, no?

Raku likes this.
  3. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I'd think they've done enough research into this where they feel they'll have a big enough shift in the other direction, to overcome whatever amount of users that leave

Essie likes this.
  4. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

True. Perhaps this is a step towards the direction of the abolishment of that tier.

5. aniafc

Trusted

They are the only streaming service that offers a free full service for the desktop, no?

6. Tim Fitzpatrick

That whole paying less in royalties part is what bugs me. Who takes that pay cut?

7. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Thank you Starbucks for your paying for my Spotify, this rules.

8. spencpants

Can I pet your dog? Prestigious

Isn't this going to cut into the label's money, too? Releases are pushed a lot up front, and if they're made unavailable for 2 weeks+, people are just going to forget about them if it wasn't already available to them, or find other ways to acquire them (i.e. illegal downloads).

latortuga and Raku like this.
  9. jorbjorb

7 rings

I'm cool with that