Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spotify.me Tries to Tell You What Kind of Music Listener You Are

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Spotify has launched a new website called Spotify.me that gives you a bunch of personalized data about your listening habits.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  2. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

"Your top genre is Pop Punk which appears in 61% of your top tracks." Seems legit :ok:

3. mad

I was right. Prestigious

One of my top genres is "vapor soul" lol

4. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

"93% of your tracks are energetic"
    yea well i gotta counter all my sadness so lol

5. alex miller

Regular

Love when they do this stuff... even though some sections only span from the past 4 days of activity. Kinda dumb. But this'll end up being really cool if this site remains a thing for years to come

BornToRun likes this.
  6. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

here add some Elliott Smith to balance it >-p

mad and coleslawed like this.
  7. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

pretty into Dreamo, apparently.

8. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

So true.. but I don't see this going away anytime soon.. Site was made by Spotify after all..

..also my top artist is Plain White T's.. tf? :teethsmile: I was only searching for an old song ("My Only One" found it yay) and went thru their first 2 albums.. I guess that makes them my No.1 Artist :eh:

9. Mr. Serotonin Jul 11, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 12, 2017)
    Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I love this kinda shit for some reason :crylaugh:

91% energetic tracks, top genre was indiepop, top artist 3EB

Dirty Sanchez and alex miller like this.
  10. alex miller

Regular

spotify has nixed several features over the years (for better or for worse). this is one that benefits upon its longevity so i really hope they keep it long term. it'd be great if they added more details over time too.

knstadin likes this.
  11. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

My top artist is Saosin and my top genre is pop punk. I listen to mostly energetic tracks.

I personally disagree, but then again, I really have no idea what Spotify or Spotify.me classes as "Pop punk" or a "top artist"

Dirty Sanchez and alex miller like this.
  12. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Apparently I stream like a Fitness Enthusiast lol.

What's weird is that my most streamed songs come from my sleep playlist since I leave it on at night and all the songs are very mellow, don't see how that implies a Fitness Enthusiast.

13. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

John Mayer is my most listened to artist, and 10% of my songs are danceable. Guess I won't be DJing any parties in the near future hahah

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

just looked up their Dreamo playlist, and yup, I am.
    Lovedrug, FSF, MO, All Get Out, As Tall As Lions

Damien Davies likes this.
  15. mattfreaksmeout Jul 11, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 11, 2017)
    mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Man Overboard is my top artist, which completely baffles me as I haven't listened to them in any way except for like a month before they opened for All Time Low in like 2014 or something, but I guess I really went in during that month.

Don't Take the Money is my top song, which makes a little more sense but I'm still surprised there's not one song I've listened to more in the 5 years I've had Spotify than that song which has been out for what? 5 months? If anything, I was surprised it wasn't Hard Times over that song, and sure enough when I looked at recent listens hard times was the top track, but I'm pretty sure that came out before Don't Take the Money so I'd think if DTTM was really my top overall, it would also be my top recent, so I'm a little confused how it works.

I'm also really curious how many of those genres overlap. Like indie pop and indie rock were my top two, but I have to imagine a lot of the artists I've listened to count towards each of those genres.

The playlist it created is actually insulting to me. There were three 3OH!3 songs..

These things are cool, but it only really represents a portion of my listening since I only use Spotify at work/on my work laptop. Otherwise I'm using Apple Music. And that was probably way more than any of you needed to know, but I could look at these types of stats for hours.

Jason Tate and alex miller like this.
  16. alex miller

Regular

Yeah. Not sure what the deal is. The "end of the year" round ups are always right on the money. Something is definitely off.

17. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

Like, it's relatively spot on with me..

For my lifetime data:

Top Artist: Kid Dynamite (I'm surprised it's not Fireworks. I haven't listened to KD in a while, but I listened to it non-stop back in 2014-2015)

Top Track: Never Meant by American Football (this makes sense because a while back I listened to this non-stop while Learning all of the different instrument parts)

Track data:

87% Energetic citing DVP by PUP (Id agree with this)

Overall Positive citing Take What I Want by Masked Intruder (yeah, I guess that's positive)

Average tempo is 130 BPM (I do like it fast)

Genre data:

46% Alt Emo

48% in my genre of choice - they say I have very diverse tastes (I don't know about this. I could be better about listening to different genres)

They say I live life at 10. ALL THE WAY UP. That's why I'm sitting at my computer right now, in my pajamas, writing a grad school paper.

My playlist was super weird with 80% being artists from Japan. (Which is slightly understandable because I've been listening to a lot of Wanima)

I want more data though. Like seasons, and top artists ranked with play counts or time played.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  18. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Under the keeping it 100 it says my average bpm is 22 lol.

19. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

This is where apple music is lagging behind IMO.. They need to do more stuff like this, i want listening history/habits info.. a Last.FM for apple music listeners.. I've been scrobbling to last.fm but I don't want to have to worry about that lol

Raku, coleslawed and CarpetElf like this.
  20. Jake W Jul 11, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 11, 2017)
    Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

"Your top genre is Alternative Emo which appears in 38% of your tracks"... The second is Emo at 32%...

Honestly this feature would be a lot better if Spotify's genre system wasn't so bad.

Edit- Like I just looked at my last.fm profile and 7/25 of my most played artists are rappers yet there was no indication of that in my top genres.

Edit- also my most played song according to this is 29th on my last.fm... Yeah this thing isn't accurate.

Damien Davies and Jason Tate like this.
  21. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

My top artist is one direction and my top song is the Spanish version of Bailando. Avg 120 bpm. My listening hours peak at 4 which makes sense cause that's when I get off work.

The only thing i thought was super weird is that Pop Christmas is one of my most listened to genres but I dislike Xmas songs a lot and never listen to them? My sis uses my spotify sometimes so I guess it could be her but I'd be surprised if she listens to it enough to be a top genre.

Jason Tate likes this.
  22. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I’m curious how they’re gathering data. Some of it just seems off to me but it’s hard to tell cuz of my sleep playlist, it’s about 18 hours long and I’ve had it for like 5 years so it distorts my analytics.

23. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

This is great and all, but once again they don't implement a way to share this information - at least as far as I can tell. I really miss the old Year-End stats that you could share the entire web page of.

Turkeylegz and Jason Tate like this.
  24. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

I just did it again, and got a different result;

Now my top artist is Portugal. The Man and my top genre is Dreamo.

Before my top artist was Saosin and my top genre was Pop Punk.

Literally only listened to As Tall As Lions between doing the first one and this one.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  25. adleon18

Yup, Spot on for me:
    For lifetime I got Blink 182 as my top artist and "I wanna get lost with you" by the Stereophonics as my top track which I have been listening to and putting in my playlists since I heard it for the first time about two years ago so, seems legit.

For recent listening I have Kings of Leon as top artist and "The Man" by The Killers as top track which is true, I have been listening to those a lot recently.

79% of my tracks are energetic and I get two Rancid songs along with one from The Ataris. :ok:
    Apparently I am an "Eclectic" listener, cool.

The only thing that threw me off is that apparently I stream like a "cooking enthusiast" and I am the least enthusiastic person when it comes to cooking haha.

I like this feature.

Turkeylegz and Mr. Serotonin like this.