Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spotify Lost Lots of Money but Grew Revenue

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 24, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Peter Kafka, writing for Re/Code, on how Spotify lost a lot of money last year, but revenue grew:

Filings show that Spotify, based in Sweden and the U.K., generated revenue of $2.12 billion last year, up about 80 percent from the $1.18 billion it brought in the prior year (all prices in the story converted from euros to dollars at the exchange rate from December 31, 2015). Losses, meanwhile, hit $188.7 million — but that number was only up 6.7 percent from the previous year’s total of $176.9 million.

It looks like their paid subscribers hit 28 million.

2. don't fret

Bleeding money

3. heavyd

I love Spotify. I think their playlists have gotten a lot better, and I'm glad they added podcasts, and video.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  4. TDenverFan

Regular

This seems pretty good for them, and for the future of streaming like this. Wonder what they spend so muh money on? Paying royalties would make up a bulk of it, and they advertise a lot. But after that?

5. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Apple Music FTW.

6. jorbjorb

7 rings

Spotify is the best thing I've got right now

7. Dumpweed182

Shut Up

No qualms with Spotify or Apple Music. I subscribe to whichever service offers the better deal.

8. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Get it free through work so no Apple Music for me

9. dzyjay

Regular

I pay for Apple Music because it's amazing and own an iPhone but also use Spotify because it's free through work as well.

10. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

How curious that Spotify continues to grow. I've been giving serious thought to leaving Spotify because of all the exclusive releases. I almost switched when Views came out but Spotify got it so quickly I didn't bother. I'm sticking to Spotify for now but I just hit my download limit so I may be looking to jump ship again depending whether other services let me download more, however, I thought the exclusives would have had more of an impact.

I also wish the article went into why video will end up costing Spotify more.

11. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

I really love Spotify. I like my playlists, and I've been using it since 2011-2012, so it has a lot of my listening habits stored for my discover weekly playlist, which is usually really on point. I hope Apple Music doesn't run them out of town.

FakeGyllenhaal likes this.
  12. ioev

I'm a kid I'm a squid

I went through a month trial using spotify after Rdio disappeared. I'm a big fan of saving albums to my collection, so the first thing I did was start adding albums I like and already own, and hit an arbitrary limit on the first day. So for the rest of the 30 days I would find new music, but have no way to "officially" save it to my account (other users have suggested using a bunch of playlists, but who wants to manage that.)

Spotify feels like where I should be now, but I literally can't manage with it enforcing such a small collection size.

13. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I hadn't heard of a saving limit. My library is probably closing in on about 10,000 songs and while I can no longer save them to my device for offline listening, I can still save it to my library. Either you have a collection even more massive than I imagined or maybe it's just the trial that imposes a limit?

scottlechowicz likes this.
  14. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I think I might be one of the only Spotify users who doesn't save/download songs from it