Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spotify Launches Daily Mix Playlists

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Ingrid Lunden, writing at TechCrunch, on Spotify’s new Daily Mix playlists:

Tapping into your own history of albums and tracks that you have listened to on the platform, Daily Mix brings together a selection of these alongside a few new things to create long, “bottomless” playlists of music to keep you listening. As its name implies, the playlists change every day, and range in number between one and six, depending on how prolific you are on Spotify.

2. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Intrigued. I like their weekly playlists; it's great for finding new artists.

Tylar likes this.
  3. doubledribble

Regular

Haha my daily playlist 6 has Barney on it. Thanks kids!

4. doubledribble

Regular

I just checked it out and it's pretty awesome. I can see this being a way I can discover new music while jamming all the music I love to listen to in total randomness.

coleslawed likes this.
  5. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

Spotify always did their personalized playlists well when I used the service.

6. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Yup, that's exactly why I love it. You still hear what you like but with some new artists thrown in. It's great.

doubledribble likes this.
  7. crowntownguy

I think I'm growing into someone you can trust

I love Discover Weekly, but one issue I run into is how songs from every single genre I listen to end up in a playlist. Ever since my mix CD days as a tween, I knew not to put big band jazz next to pop-punk, but that might not be something Spotify's algorithm's can handle. I'll still probably use them regularly and be liberal with the skip button.

DeRRek likes this.
  8. DeRRek

Trusted

Nice. I really like the sounds of this. Going to check it out after work. I have stuck with Spotify because I feel it's a lot better at recommending music to me compared to Apple Music, having said that I haven't tried out the new version of Apple Music yet but I am intending on doing so at some point but because I'm used to Spotify and really like the setup and have so much music downloaded on there I have felt less inclined to check Apple music's new update as of yet.

9. Tater Tot

That is exactly what the daily playlists do.

10. Tater Tot

I have 6 different playlists they made each is genre specific.

Jam
    Hip hop
    Punk
    Indie rock
    Emo
    Edm

Each has half songs I have downloaded and half songs I've never listened to on Spotify.

11. ianzandi

Regular

I'm a very heavy Spotify user and I love this new feature. Basically a customized radio that dosent repeat songs (which is Spotifys weak spot) . I got 3 playlists this morning 1) death cab/Relient k/weezer 2) the front bottoms/Joyce manor/modern baseball and 3) Hamilton/the music man/other misc musicals

I tried out the new Apple Music and it's eh. There still some glaring navigation flaws. I also hate the font aesthetics on the update. I do enjoy the curated playlists and exclusives though (which is why I occasionally subscribe for a month)

DeRRek likes this.
  12. ianzandi

Regular

I wonder how this list will change on a day to day basis. Like, does it create them based off your songs played from the day before? If you exclusively listened to these playlists, wouldn't it hypothetically create the same set of playlists everyday?

Tylar and DeRRek like this.
  13. DeRRek

Trusted

Sweet, sounds good. I do use Spotify every single day without fail, be it at work or at home. Yeah, that was one of my biggest problems with Apple Music before, in that it was just a complete mess to navigate like you said. Really hated it. Was good that they let you try it for 3 months for free though, so I appreciated that. I have a premium account with Spotify and really do feel I get my money's worth. My girlfriend also uses it when I'm not so works well for us.

14. selfreliable

Regular

I love Discover Weekly, and I used to hate it for the same reason as you. Then I started to look at it as what it is for, discovering new music. They dont care how tracks blend, because they arent trying to create a great playlist, they are trying to introduce you to 30 new bands/songs. When I listen to it, I make sure I am not doing anything else so I get the full effect of each song and not get thrown off that I just went from a hardcore song to a bluegrass song and it doesnt vibe well.

crowntownguy likes this.
  15. doubledribble

Regular

This feature seems to put similar music styles in 1 playlist and throws in a new song here and there. It's definitely not a new songs only feature, but it is definitely a cool feature.

crowntownguy likes this.
  16. doubledribble

Regular

That's exactly how mine are set up (Not genre wise, although my kids playlist would be pretty awesome if it was EDM). It's a few songs of what I listen to and a few I'd never heard or hadn't taken the time to check out.

17. Tylar

I just noticed this today and thought it was an old feature that I had missed somehow, nonetheless I quite like it

18. elemenohpe

Irregular Prestigious

My app still isn't showing these :(

19. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I had to search for Daily Mix and they showed up as a "genre" for some reason

Anyway this is pretty cool.

20. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Tried this out today and I like it very much.

21. selfreliable

Regular

Make sure you have the most recent update. Once you do, log out powercycle your system and log back in. Should show up in your library.

22. elemenohpe

Irregular Prestigious

Did all that this morning. I'll uninstall the app and reinstall it tonight. I was hesitant to do that this morning because I didn't have time to re-download my off-line playlists.

23. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Spotify has made Hardcore, Punk, Emo and Hip Hop playlists for me with this feature and I've now decided that no one knows me better than Spotify.

coleslawed and elemenohpe like this.
  24. lish

Perpetually Cold Prestigious

I'm totally into this. I'm listening to the Acceptance/RK/Paramore playlist, which is great. It has songs I never listen to from bands I don't have on my normal playlist (Cute is What We Aim For, Blink, AvA), but the songs fit really well. I'm into it.

ianzandi likes this.
  25. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I'm down. I got

violent femmes/clash/Ramones

kesha/crj/Rihanna one that's awesome

click 5/brand new/my chemical romance lol

maluma/Don omar/gente de Zona

the strokes/the bravery/Franz Ferdinand

Gavin degrew/Matt nathanson/Augustana.

It's a lot of fun!! I like that there's multiple genres instead of randomness on one big playlist