Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spotify Giving Less Promotion to Apple, Tidal Exclusives • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 26, 2016.

1. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

Could not agree more. This is business for Spotify & Apple -- the individual artists and the consumers are collateral. They're simply playing the game.

2. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

As a consumer, I hate exclusives and typically don't listen to them. I'm curious to hear the new Frank Ocean and Beyoncé's newest, but not enough to hunt them down. I like the new Radiohead, but I think it would have stuck more if I could have listened upon release, as opposed to a couple months post-hype. All of that to say, I'd love for Spotify to find a solution to those. This isn't it, and it makes me less hopeful that they ever will.

3. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Spotify is really bad compared to Apple Music. I've used both and prefer Apple Music by a lot

FTank and teebs41 like this.
  4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I kind of just hate all of these streaming services, as well as the entire exclusive release thing. I know it's the future, but I think I'm okay being the old man holding out with his iPod, his mp3 collection, and his vinyl for as long as possible.

Kiana and whitenblue88 like this.
  5. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I still use my ipod for long car trips cause my car and tech is still a bit behind and the ipod has the longest battery life and can hold everything which is perfect for long trips where I want to rediscover old stuff.

I hate exclusives. I download them or I say I'll wait until they're not exclusive anymore but then I usually forget about it by then

6. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I love streaming services. I've discovered so much more music than I would have otherwise, all because of how easily accessible it is nowadays thanks to the likes of Apple Music and Spotify

slickdtc, FTank and Contender like this.
  7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I do a fair number of first listens and discovery stuff on Spotify, but I've maybe used a streaming service once on a mobile device and that was when I had Rdio. If I'm running, I've got my iPod. If I'm driving, I've got my iPod. If I'm playing music on the stereo at home, I've got my iPod. I like using streaming services for discovery, but I hate them for the actual listening experience, if that makes sense.

8. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

I deactivated my facebook only to realize that I couldn't use my spotify account at all without facebook, and they don't have a way to disable that with an account created through FB outside of creating a new account.

Completely ridiculous

9. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I like streaming services cause they have a lot of international music that's not as easily accessible

marceting and inspectorkemp like this.
  10. doubledribble

Regular

Yep been through that. It sucks. At the same time I like stalking people to see what they are listening to.

11. doubledribble

Regular

Every time I see someone say this, I ask why the person feels this way. I tried Apple Music and didn't like it as much as Spotify so I went back. So why is Spotify so bad compared to AM?

12. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

fwiw, they denied that they were doing this. they didnt really cop one way or the other to not actively promoting it.

13. Yeah I have that queued up to post tomorrow.

14. Letterbomb31 Aug 28, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 28, 2016)
    Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

The UI on Apple Music is so much better imo. You can organise your music in a number of different ways, all of which work really well; for example, you can organise your music by artists, albums, recently added, etc (all of which are really useful). On Spotify, the "artist" and "songs" tabs are garbage and I never used them. The only tab I used during the year I was on Spotify was the album tab. I ended up saving only recent albums and I ended up barely listening to old stuff because I was basically just going off of memory, lol. Whereas on Apple Music, I have all my favourite music/artists saved to my library and can easily scroll through the artist tab to find them. And then for more recent music, I use the album tab and have it display in year order, starting with 2016. I also love that I can see 50 albums on the screen at once, compared to like 15 on Spotify. It all runs so much more smoothly, unlike Spotify which I often found was slow and glitchy. Apple Music is a high quality streaming service, whereas Spotify feels more like the cheaper budget option. The only thing is there isn't much of a difference in price between them as far as I'm aware? (Edit: I just checked and in the UK they both charge £9.99 per month.) I say all this as someone who used Spotify for a year, switched to Apple Music to hear Coloring Book, and hasn't looked back since

I kind of rambled on a bit there lol, I hope that made at least a little bit of sense

15. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

I understand exclusives but sometimes they bum me out because I can't listen to them. But that's what makes them exclusives. Ha

16. doubledribble

Regular

Thanks @Letterbomb31

I always find it interesting to see what people say when I ask. Most of the time the things that aren't important to me are what is different. I want to make sure I'm not missing anything!

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  17. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

@Letterbomb31 good breakdown. I agree some of the sort options on Spotify are weird or useless. The artists one in particular. There's so many layers that aren't necessary. It's gotten better, but not perfect.

I use Albums pretty much exclusively. I only use the Songs option to shuffle my whole saved library. You can sort within the different views by recently added or alphabetical now.

Haven't used Apple Music yet, but have no major complaints with Spotify. I don't think the UI is as bad as people make it sound and actually preferred it to Rdio's which most people said was the best part of that service.

It's really all personal preference and how we interact with each service so I'm not trying to sway you back to Spotify. It's why I love having the options to jump ship, but these exclusives are the downside to that angle.

I feel a small bit of allegiance to Spotify for being the first legit service I discovered 5 years ago and use. But if it goes downhill I'm not a sucker... I'll go with what's best. $15/month to have 5 accounts (family plan) works for me now but I have my eyes open for what AM can bring in the future. Basically if there's a huge mutiny from Spotify to AM, I'm gone. The library is its strongest suit. Rdio could not hold a candle to it, though I imagine AM is probably neck and neck.