Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spotify Focusing on Podcasts in 2019

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Sarah Perez, writing for TechCrunch:

This has led Spotify to believe that influencers in the podcast community will be able to bring their community with them when they become a Spotify exclusive, and then further grow their listener base by tapping into Spotify’s larger music user base and, soon, an improved recommendation system.

Personally, I think an “exclusive” to one platform ‘podcast’ isn’t really a podcast. It’s a Spotify radio show. Which, cool, that’s fine, but if it’s not available via an RSS feed to any podcast player, it’s not a podcast.

2. kielhauck

itsalldead.com @kielhauck

Yeah, "exclusive to Spotify" just seems counterintuitive to what most podcasters are trying to accomplish. I did like what Dissect did this year, where episodes are available on Spotify first, then available everywhere else a week later.

We added our podcast to Spotify this year and it's clear that people are listening there and it's given us a pretty big bump in streams. My only gripe is that the Spotify data is separated out from everything else for some reason, requiring an extra step to get a clear picture of weekly downloads. Hopefully they'll get the picture soon that podcasters want to use Spotify just the same as they view and use any other channel.

3. copey

Regular

I cannot stand the way Spotify tries to push podcasts on it's users. seems like every other carousel in the Home tab is trying to push podcasts I would never listen to on me. There's not even a good user experience for following podcasts you would actually want to listen to regularly.

4. I definitely agree with your statement.

5. Spotify’s entire approach to podcasts is so strange. I have to pay blubrry a fee to list our show on Spotify so our show just isn’t on Spotify. I ran a poll to see who in our audience uses Spotify for podcasts and it came out to 2%. Not worth it to me.

copey likes this.
  6. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

The biggest problem I have with Spotify’s podcasting is that it doesn’t always reliably save where you are in the podcast. If I skip over to something else, it often completely removes all progress and I have to find my place again. That’s like 101 functionality stuff.

7. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Why the fuck would anyone wanting to have a successful podcast make it exclusive to any platform?

That would only benefit the platform, and that’s if it’s a popular enough brand to get someone to subscribe.

Davjs likes this.
  8. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Their podcast functionality definitely needs an overhaul.