Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spotify Announces “Release Radar”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Spotify has announced new a “release radar” that will give you a personalized weekly playlist of songs from new, and recently released, albums. The Verge goes into more detail:

Discover Weekly focuses on a window of the last six months or so to decipher your taste and make suggestions. Release Radar can’t replicate that approach, because your favorite band may not release an album more than once every two years. Instead it takes stock of your entire listening history, then narrows the range of possible suggestions down to tracks that have been released in the last two to three weeks.

I’m still, mostly, an album-only listener, but I really like this approach to trying to get people to check out new music and tackling the problem of so many people not being aware that new music is out from artists they love. Hell, I follow this stuff for a living and even I would like a personalized page each Friday that shows me all the albums out today from artists already in my collection, and then below that gives me four recommended albums I should check out and what song to start with. This is a cool start to an intriguing problem.

coleslawed likes this.
  2. heavyd

I love it. Checked out a lot of bands I might otherwise not.

3. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Music discovery is the only thing I miss about Spotify now that I'm a year into Apple Music, I remember discovering a lot of bands through their suggestions and playlists.

4. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

This is actually really cool. Will definitely use in the future.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  5. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Fucking sweet.

6. Thursdaysox

We know it from the silence

Good stuff, my love for Spotify is endless

7. doubledribble

Regular

what exactly is better about AM? I tried it and switched back to Spotify.

8. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

My love for Spotify only grows bigger

Turkeylegz likes this.
  9. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Pretty cool

10. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

I had some issues with adding local files to my Spotify library and syncing them to my phone, mostly because the shared wifi my apartment uses makes it so that my computer won't find my phone wirelessly, that's why I made the switch. I like the ease of the iCloud Music Library and that it works well with the rest of my apple products. It doesn't hurt that I was an apple store employee and got 9 free months of it for Christmas. I also like knowing that new releases go up exactly at 10:00PM central on Thursday nights.

I also think the Spotify app regressed quite a bit last year or whenever they introduced the side menu, but I definitely don't think Spotify is bad or even a step down from Apple Music, if AM wasn't a thing or if I hadn't made the switch I would still be happy with Spotify.

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. doubledribble

Regular

That makes a whole lot of sense. I was just curious because I see so many people complain about Spotify. I really didn't notice a big difference haha

12. DallasSF

As someone with absolutely no time to listen to albums, this sounds great.

13. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Love this feature so much

14. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

I like this, but have a feeling that 2/3 of what pops up for me is going to be remixes of something I'd already listened to

15. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

This sounds great. I think their new releases sections leave a lot to be desired right now.

16. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I enjoy it. It had a mix of stuff I didn't know was out and stuff I've been meaning to listen to but forgot. I didn't care about everything on it but just the fact that it narrowed it down on a convenient playlist is good enough for me. I'm horrible at keeping up with releases

17. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

I like this! Never got the hype with Discover Weekly, but this one seems like it'll at least be interesting to check out each week.

18. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Really? I absolutely love Discover Weekly. It's so spot on if you only have playlists of songs you actually like/listen to frequently, haha.

19. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

Yeah, Discover Weekly is a great feature. Brings up new music, oldies you've forgotten, and throws in some stand-by's for good measure.

To have a feature using a similar strategy, but tailored specifically for newer releases? Could be really awesome.

I come here to see what's out on Friday's, now I can both see and HEAR it in one place.

Spotify has had my heart since 2011. I was blown away you could stream music for free and it was actually legal, then when I went to premium on mobile in late 2014, I don't know how I could ever go back. I listened to 56 days worth of music last year! For $15/month (family plan), it's one of the best investments I ever made.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  20. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Personally I see this being much more useful than Discover Weekly(which I've very rarely found useful). I also really like that 3 bands that I listen to had new songs added to Spotify today and they were all added to the playlist today.