Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sports Controversy Social

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Fucking Dustin, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Trigger warning: potential content related to misogynistic acts and trauma

I labeled this as "controversy" so it could be a discussion place for various aspects of sports, whether it be related to taxes or the sexual assault happening from players, violence against men and women or violence against the players in the form of CTE, any cover-ups a major or minor league may have, etc. Any sensitive topic about the realm of sports is open for discussion here, and everyone, sports fan or not, is welcome to join in. Please be considerate of those in the thread, those who may read the thread, and those who may never read the thread at all.

2. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

Steroids. Does finding out a player took them, in any sport, make you automatically discount everything they've ever done in professional sports?

3. Fucking Dustin

I have a hard time with that subject because of how likely it is other players have gotten away with PEDs. I think it doesn't make me discount them in most instances, but I'm still torn. What's your perspective on it?

4. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

I hope Jose Reyes never plays baseball again.

5. Fucking Dustin

It's amazing to me (in a disgusted way) that athletes who do things like he did get put on paid leave of all things. I can't imagine a situation where a working professional would be paid while facing charges like that and having it known throughout the organization that the professional had those charges. (And let's be real, that the professional absolutely did what he was charged for.)

6. omgrawr

I struggle with it a bit as well. I find it hard to not automatically discount them knowing that they have an edge, but at the same time to your point, do they really? Or did they just happen to get caught doing what a great number of other players are doing? What, say, a Barry Bonds was able to do is still insane regardless of steroids because hitting a ball is still largely coordination and form. I'll always have to wonder how much of his ability to was enhanced by steroids and how much of it would have been there anyway?

In addition to strength and conditioning, the recovery time being shortened is also a huge advantage that steroids give you I feel like. Especially in a sport like baseball when you're playing so damn often.

7. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Sports twitter/commenters are always so gross, even though the charges are dropped people are now thinking he's home free...ugh. The whole complex around thinking that whenever the victim isn't helping out they were lying in the first place is sickening.

8. Fucking Dustin

It's to the point where I think "do people really think he's innocent, or do people just want to think he's innocent?"

And I don't see why it's so hard to understand why someone who just got ASSAULTED wouldn't want to go to court and be around their assailant nonstop, or why said person may be afraid to testify

kidwithhelmet likes this.
  9. kidwithhelmet

WELCOME THRILLHO Supporter

Teen kidwithhelmet always felt like:
    ...but adult kidwithhelmet feels like:
    There were rumors floating around a few weeks back that Bonds was out-slugging Stanton in a fun spring training HR contest. Even if it's not exactly true, that should tell you all you need to know about the man.

For all the gripes I have with baseball, the steroid stuff never ended up sticking in my craw as much as I always assumed they would because in my view there wasn't a great way to have handled it in the first place. By the late 90's it was already so out of control. But I like where we're at now with the staggered penalties resulting in a lifetime ban for a 3rd strike.

10. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Apparently Greg Hardy claims he never put his hands on any woman.

11. omgrawr

I'm just glad that I can represent both the teen and adult version of you all at the same time.

kidwithhelmet likes this.
  12. Fucking Dustin

It blows my mind that he was even able to stay in the NFL after his shit

13. kidwithhelmet

WELCOME THRILLHO Supporter

That's not an accomplishment, really. They're alike in so many ways as it is.

omgrawr likes this.
  14. alex

notgonz Prestigious

To me, the issue of steroids isn't a problem on its face, and I don't blame any individual for using them, but given the larger context in which organized sports exist I really can't support them in any way.

15. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Dude is literal garbage at this point. It's one thing to get caught beating on a woman, it's another to do that and then act like it never happened and people just made it up.

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

the statement from the victim in the Greg Hardy case is the saddest thing ever

17. Trotsky

Trusted

I'm not familiar with the common usage of "trigger warnings." What about sports controversies would be more deserving of such disclaimers than most other topics? Just the amount of criminals in sports that go relatively unpunished?

Anyways, one of the great sports controversies of our time has to be the outlawing of public ownership (see: Green Bay Packers) by the sports elites (see: blocking of San Diego from taking an interest in the Padres). A local businessman who had spearheaded a campaign to preserve a football team spoke in a panel last week on the outlandish corruption in ownership and general unlikelihood that public ownership could ever become an option again until the franchises become so big, so powerful, and so expensive that other economic factors (wealth redistribution, etc.) make the market of individual financers too small and some sort of group ownership becomes necessary. That, however, seems very unlikely since the rise of billionaires has far outweighed the rate at which national teams are being added.

18. DarkHotline

That's truly heartbreaking, that poor woman.

19. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

taxes?

20. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

Yikes. Tyler Summit, 25 year old son of legendary women's ncaa basketball coach Pat Summit, and head coach of Lousiana Tech, just resigned for getting one of his players pregnant.

21. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Trigger warnings are for safe spacers that want to be shielded from topics that might upset them. No idea why this would warrant one.

22. Fucking Dustin

Discussion of rape/sexual assault is a pretty strong reason IMO

FTank likes this.
  23. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Johnny Manziel officially indicted today.

24. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Did Ray Rice ever end up with another team in any capacity?

25. DarkHotline

No, he has not thankfully.

FTank likes this.