Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sports Articles Discussion • Page 2

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Former Oakland Raiders George Atkinson, George Buehler, and Art Thoms To Donate Brains For Research
    Atkinson expressed concern about the link between football and brain disease and said he has suffered from memory loss, adding that he quit his job as a Raiders broadcaster because of it.

"I can't remember from yesterday to today half the time," Atkinson told the newspaper.

Thoms said he and other former players weren't sure whether some of their post-career struggles were just due to aging, but "I got to think it is partly from football," he said to the Mercury News.

Jason Tate likes this.
  2. phaynes1

Regular

Saw the Ringer conversation in here earlier. I'm fully here for it. I can't wait until the full launch and have been eating up the newsletters they've been sending.

As for Channel 33/BSPN, I can understand the critique of the multiple formats under one feed complaint, it's something I've discussed at length with Thomas in group text. Personally, I like the perspectives of the teams and their editorial (idk if there's a better term here) voices enough to where I'll listen even if it's a topic I'm not super invested in. Like, I listened to pretty much every episode of the Bachelor Podcast, without watching an episode of the season, because I like Juliet Litman and enjoyed hearing her discuss it with Simmons, his wife, etc. Realize it's not for everyone but I appreciate what they're doing over there tremendously. My favorite pod network to listen to.

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I agree, although the Bachelor pod happens to be the only one I didn't listen to out of the Channel 33 ones. I've given the new Playing Politics one a try even though politics are not my thing at all. Also won't be listening to Shack House because golf is just something I can't watch at all haha.

The newsletters have been great but I still stand by thinking they should have used Medium as is for non-newsletter people. Not everyone enjoys getting them and having even more email in their inbox.

4. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

This article originally basically erased the USWNT and said the US wouldn't have a soccer team in the Olympics this year. It's been corrected since, but oof
    [​IMG]

5. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Anyone know of some good writers who cover NBA analytics? Or have any book suggestions for that?

6. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Zach Lowe is all you need.

7. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I do read his stuff. Was considering reading some of the stuff that involves a lot more of the math. I'm thinking the basketball analytics books by Stephen Shea might be a good bet.

8. Slangster

Oh, gotcha. Yeah, I've heard those are good, haven't read them yet myself.

Deanna likes this.
  9. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Dean Oliver's book is the backbone that basically all basketball analytics is built on and it's a lot of gorey math from what I understand.

10. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Yeah his is one that keeps popping up so I'll likely check it out.

11. NBA expected to put logos on jerseys
    Companies may soon be vying for new advertising space on NBA jerseys.

NBA team owners are expected to vote this week to allow the placement of corporate logos on jerseys, beginning in the 2017-2018 season, according to ESPN.

The logos would be featured on the left shoulder of a player's jersey and would reportedly take the form of a 2.5 inch square patch.

Uniform ads appeared on the jerseys worn during the All-Star Game in February. During the game in Toronto, players sported KIA logos on their left shoulders.

12. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Eh I'm not a fan of this. I understand the WNBA having to do it, but the NBA makes enough money as it is.

13. Anyone else read the insanely long Tiger Woods article?

14. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Apparently The Ringer has been releasing some articles as Facebook notes. This all still seems really weird to me. Maybe I'm just impatient, but considering all the hires they've made, you think they could've had a website done much more quickly hah. End of Spring/early Summer still seems pretty far out for that if it's just through Medium.

15. Slangster

There's more to it than just building a website. Figuring out your niche, making hires, putting together evergreen features/profiles/whatever so the site isn't empty when it launches, etc.

16. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I know but they could've used medium as is instead of Facebook notes while the site is being built. They're already writing for the newsletter and I don't know many people who read Facebook notes on a regular basis. Seems like a weird approach is all considering Medium is already a functional platform.

17. Slangster

IDK I guess using Facebook for articles doesn't bother me that much

18. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

this is a very good twitter conversation

19. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Legit just bumping this to get it out of the midst of the archived threads for my organizational OCD.