Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spoilers • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I have an issue with /SC because a thread can be titled 'SPOILER confronts SPOILER' with no context. I don't know where it is from or who it involves. Maintaining spoilers for 48 hours with a live weekly television show is incredibly dumb.

As for Meltzer stuff, I have a lot of different issues.
    -People who post links to audio clips are assholes, first off.
    -Dave has wayyyy too much inside info for people to just post most of the things he say willy nilly. I've done it here in the past, but have kinda learned to keep it out of the threads.
    -He's wrong a lot. lol

2. devenstonow

Noobie

Oh, I agree with most of this. But the issue with the bolded part is that he's not wrong. Jinder's win was what set things off. Because technically it's retroactively being declared a spoiler? I disagree with that opinion. But that's not the topic of this thread :p

3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]
    I would say he is right more than he is wrong, but there are a lot of times he'll say something is gonna happen, and then a month later, "WELL I GUESS THEY CHANGED THE PLANS!"

4. Morrissey

Trusted

What was the picture?

5. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I think spoiler tags are always helpful. There's times where I go into a thread for a show I haven't started watching yet to talk briefly about it to see if it's something that I would be interested in/someone would recommend me it.

6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Someone doing the Italian kissing their fingers thing, implying that its a beautiful thing.

7. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Hiding behind the "inconvenience" of using spoiler tags is infantile. Expecting spoilers to extend indefinitely or to cover EVERYTHING is also infantile. And pretending like something does or doesn't matter because you do or don't agree is the most infantile.

For films, give it a week for big things. Things that aren't major events though are fair game.
    For TV, use context. If someone is talking about how they are watching the show for the first time, don't start up a conversation about a major twist. If it's a show like Game of Thrones, I'd say you're on your own because people live post that. If it's say, Peaky Blinders, there's six responses there, no one watches it. Use context.
    For books, use them.

That's what I would say. I genuinely don't care about spoilers. I just don't find common courtesy to be an offensive thing that's asked of me.

8. devenstonow

Noobie

agree with most of this but some questions (because I've been unsure on a general consensus and never really discussed books).

Like, for something like Peaky Blinders, I would say anything from the most recent season (i don't watch it so for argument's sake let's assume it's still on) should be spoiler tagged.

I recently posted in the Against Me thread about a part of LJG's book. Spoiler tagged it because I wasn't sure.

Ken likes this.
  9. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I would spoil tag the latest season, yeah.

Oh yeah, Netflix shows should apply the same as films.

That sounds fine to me. Though I don't really have an opinion on that. A non-fiction book to me is completely different.

Ken likes this.
  10. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Yes, agreed on Netflix shows. House of Cards just came out and I wandered into the thread to see initial feedback after it being available for 48 hours and to discuss some early episodes, but someone had already watched the whole thing in two days and ruined the ending for me. Now I'm watching all these hours trying to figure out how it comes together vs wondering what will happen next. I should have been more careful, but the post came only two days or so after the whole season was released. I would have greatly appreciated the use of a spoiler tag or something similar in that instance.

11. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I would never open a thread for a show or movie that has aired or came out and expect people to not be talking about the ending or discussing plot very openly. If I have the urge to click on it, I am making that choice and people shouldn't have to go out of their way to cover up their conversation just because they feel the need to be courteous to my impulse.

Also, if that was the case and everything was spoiler tagged, why would you want to read a sea of black rectangles anyway?

12. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Yeah, netflix is a good example. Those and films are the big ones for me, given that there is a decent window of time (imo 2 weeksish at least) where you are not "late" to watching it. Kinda sucked wanting to go talk about NY episode of Master of None, but avoiding the thread until finishing the season for fear of finding out too much of the love story plot.

Broadcast TV I think is a little different - part of the fun of discussing them on a forum is the gamethreading of good jokes/wow moments as they air, and there's also the natural implication that if you're two episodes behind, you're legitimately behind. In that case I think the suggestion of "avoid the thread" is pretty reasonable.

suicidesaints likes this.
  13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

"Out of their way"

Look pal, if any of us actually valued our time THAT much, we wouldn't be here.

14. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

If you're venturing into a thread about a show/movie, you should be prepared to see people speaking about the plot. I spoiler tag things as a way to be courteous, but there have been multiple occasions where I have been in a relatively engaging discussion about a film/show and had someone complain about discussing the plot. I remember people calling for spoiler tags over speculations for the end of BB three weeks before the show ended, which I found silly.

Basically, it's polite to spoiler tag things in threads outside of the actual film thread, even more thoughtful to do it in the actual film thread but never really necessary.

There is not set "timeline". If the movie/show is out to the public and you haven't seen it yet, be prepared to see people talking about plot details. Most of the time I'll give a one line reaction to a film/show that doesn't have anything to do with spoilers. If you see a long block of text, it's probably analyzing the plot and should be ignored until you watch it.

15. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Let's all just agree that anything in promotional materials is automatically by definition not a spoiler. It saddens me that even that isn't a given with people sometimes, lol.

16. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I laughed my ass off when I saw Wonder Woman and they played a Spider-Man trailer. I thought about all of the people here who said they were going radio silent after the one trailer who likely had to close their eyes for that preview. lol

Tim, iCarly Rae Jepsen and CarpetElf like this.
  17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Hi I'm Spiderman
    Spoiler alert
    I shoot webs
    Earmuffs spoilers

coleslawed likes this.
  18. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

To be fair, if someone wants to go that out of their way to wait for the movie, more power to them. But, people who do that gotta realize what they're doing isn't exactly the norm, lol. And, they then shouldn't spend literally any time in a movie thread at all before seeing the film.

19. devenstonow

Noobie

The questionable thing with Big Brother is that you have the feeds going on and that "what's a spoiler?" varies based on how dedicated you are to the show

20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I meant BB as in Breaking Bad, sorry!

coleslawed likes this.
  21. devenstonow

Noobie

Oops, my bad, haha