Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spoilers • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Jun 7, 2017.

1. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I don't think anyone is saying that the plot shouldn't be discussed. It's just certain key aspects that should be spoiler tagged.

It's like watching a trailer and feeling like you've seen the whole film. I still want to see a trailer sometimes, but I don't want to know what's gonna happen in act 3 before I've seen the film.

2. Morrissey

Trusted

That is a weird decision not to watch something because you know how the plot develops.

There are plenty of threads to talk about the movie in a more general light. In the Lat Movie You Saw Thread, or the Entertainment General Chat thread, it would be unwise to tell people the ending of something, but there is always discussion going on there. The specific thread is the only place people seem to be allowed to talk about the plot's details, but now even then it is supposed to be hidden.

domotime2 likes this.
  3. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

There are few posters on this site whose opinions on film I'm more interested in than yours but trumpeting the "plot details don't matter to your enjoyment of the work" over and over like it's fact and not your opinion has to be in the top 3 most frustrating things about this corner of the site.

4. Morrissey

Trusted

Don't watch trailers, then. You wouldn't expect people to stop posting links to the trailers on the forum, and you would not expect movie theaters to stop showing them.

domotime2 and suicidesaints like this.
  5. Morrissey

Trusted

I posted the comment; who else's opinion would it be?

6. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I don't watch trailers. That's my point. I can easily avoid clicking on the trailer in a thread or arrive to the theater after the trailers have played, but I can't avoid reading a non-tagged spoiler unless I avoid the thread all together.

I typically watch films based on the actor/director/writer or previous stuff that I liked, but for something that I'm unfamiliar with, I will read a synopsis or a review, and I'd like to be able to go into a thread and see what my peers have to say about something, but I don't want to have to worry about a specific detail being revealed that might change my experience when I do finally watch the film.

I'm not sure I get your viewpoint that "there's no such thing as a spoiler" - If reading something changes the way you experience the film, then I'd say it should be spoiler tagged.

Just because something is "spoiled" doesn't mean it's been ruined or that the film is no longer worth watching. It just changes the original experience.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  7. Morrissey

Trusted

Precisely. It is that easy.

8. Davjs

Trusted

What I posted in the WW thread that kind of spun this thread-

While I agree and find it easy to avoid a thread until I see a movie, I don't mind taking an extra second to type a spoiler tag out of courtesy for people who don't have my will power.

trevorshmevor and scottlechowicz like this.
  9. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

It's like you only read the first sentence to my post.

10. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

It's not just about willpower though.

Shouldn't a thread serve as more than just a place for people who have already seen the film to talk about it? Shouldn't the thread be a place for discussion related to the film or things surrounding the film? Shouldn't the thread be a place for people who are interested in the film but have questions or want to learn more before investing their time/money?

trevorshmevor and coleslawed like this.
  11. Davjs

Trusted

I think there could be a fun discussion for Is there an expiration date for spoilers? I mean, kid's born in the 2000's won't know the twist in Empire Strikes Back or Terminator 2 because they are so talked about that most people know before they see the movies.

12. Davjs

Trusted

I agree on that too. Its not like spoiler discussion cant happen, it just has black over it and requires an extra click to read lol.

suicidesaints likes this.
  13. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I don't think people should have to bite their tongue when talking about a movie that's 30 years old, but once again, have a little courtesy. If you know you are talking to someone who's never seen said film, don't you want them to have the best/most untainted experience possible when/if they do ever watch that movie?

14. Davjs

Trusted

I'm lucky my wife didn't watch movies as a kid and isn't into the world of film. I got to show her Terminator and then see her reaction in T2 when it turns out Arnold is the good guy :-)

15. Morrissey

Trusted

I have already addressed it. There are already threads where people talk about a range of movies in very general terms. The Last Movie You Saw thread had many people giving their very bland and general impressions about the film. This is about imposing a level of discouragement in the one place where people should be allowed to talk about the film in depth.

We generally don't even have many dedicated threads to interesting films, and when we do there are usually not a whole lot of replies. This conversation came up because of a discussion in a superhero movie thread, the one genre where anyone who has ever seen a movie before can tell you how it is going to end. It is not really about people getting discouraged from watching smaller or independent films.

Joel likes this.
  16. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I'll give you that. If anyone is upset about Marvel Movie #6186 being spoiled, then I dunno what to tell them.

Joel likes this.
  17. devenstonow

Noobie

The "we have other more general threads to discuss" isn't a valid reasoning. If I'm looking for info about a specific movie or TV show, it makes more sense to go into the thread.

It should be time based. Give a movie a weekend or a week. Give a videogame like, a month, idk. Give TV shows X episodes, "until the season is over", or something like that. Especially with binge watching, some people watch a whole new season in one sitting, some over the course of a couple weeks. The burden shouldn't be on those watching at a slower pace

coleslawed and suicidesaints like this.
  18. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Bruce Willis was dead the whole time? Why didn't you spoil tag that?

suicidesaints likes this.
  19. Morrissey

Trusted

Someone once said that even those culturally significant plot points should still have spoiler tags. People have talked about spoiler tags for movies based on real events. I saw someone once refer to spoilers when talking about a band's set list at a concert. It is endless.

20. domotime2

Do you think its fair to bring sports into this discussion. I know that in the wrestling thread we have a separate thread for rumors (because those tend to be true and involve things that haven't happened yet)...but its not like we go around spoil tagging results.

I know that I tend to watch ppvs and raw on delay...and with that ...i avoid forums.

I'm using wrestling because that's a entertainment based sports product.

21. Morrissey

Trusted

It seems impossible to avoid sports news. I am reminded of an episode of Seinfeld where Jerry is trying to avoid knowing the outcome of a game because he taped it and avoids discussion of it until Kramer tells him, not knowing.

I follow basketball and football, which are almost always on your traditional channels, so I can't relate to the wrestling comparison, but once a game is finished the headlines are usually everywhere. I would love to see someone try to avoid knowing the results of the Finals or the Super Bowl or the World Series, though. Isn't wrestling just scripted, though?

Ken likes this.
  22. devenstonow

Noobie

I don't remember the consensus reached, but there was a huge discussion on /r/squaredcircle recently about this, although that was mainly focused on Meltzer-type stuff

23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Wrestling might be the best defense for television. We aren't going to hold off live reactions because someone isn't watching live. In the instance where people can't watch live due to time zone issues or spoilers leaking before something goes live, I've made other threads to discuss because we are terrible at using spoiler tags. I think if a show is airing this week(a la Game of Thrones), there should be an expectation that people are going to react.

24. domotime2

now i understand that with sports and wrestling, you're not going to say "hold up, i'm behind a few weeks let me catch up"... it's more of a "dont tell me who won, im watching it later"... but the theory still applies. Wrestling fans know that if they don't want to know what happened, they avoid wrestling ALL forums.

Having a separate thread for the rumors was a good call.

Joe4th likes this.
  25. Morrissey

Trusted

That is one of the best parts of forums or discussion boards; the ability to converse with people around the world about shared interests. When I had to wait a day to watch the newest Twin Peaks episode, I had no reason to go in the thread.