Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Split (M. Night Shyamalan; January 20th, 2017) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by jkauf, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I don't see how PG-13 makes a difference at all. There was no point where I was wishing for brutal violence or a torrent of profanity.

Kingjohn_654, goation and ChaseTx like this.
  2. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

I just saw this movie, and I don't know, I can't tell if I really liked it or not. Based on what I knew going into the movie and the fact that it was marketed as a thriller/horror movie, I expected it to be scarier than it actually was. To me at least, I don't think it really picked up until toward the end of the movie, which was disappointing. Regardless of that, I did think it was a good movie, the acting the great, the concept of the movie was good.

I was hopelessly confused at the final scene since I never saw Unbreakable. And whole ending about how this all took place in the basement of the Zoo, for some reason I just didn't like that, and I thought it was weird how an employee for the zoo would just happen to find her seemingly right after she was almost killed by the beast. What was that guy even doing down there in the first place? Maybe I'm just overthinking it all I don't know lol

3. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Agreed. The stories that Shymalan creates aren't inherently R-rated. There is absolutely no need to do it (his lone R-rated movie is terrible). I understand horror fans want R-rated films and are skeptical of any PG-13 horror. But Shymalan has never made a horror movie, in my opinion. He makes suspense/thrillers. I wouldn't think to put The Conjuring in the same genre as The Sixth Sense. Maybe that's just me.

goation and KennedyBN like this.
  4. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

I enjoyed this but all the scenes with the therapist felt like they were from a different, much worse movie

5. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

He was a staff worker who went down there for a smoke.

6. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

a nice person likes this.
  7. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

Yeah. I can't believe I didn't hear about the end before I saw it. Made the hairs on my arms go up. Wow

a nice person likes this.
  8. Chris289

Regular

So assuming he's a regular smoker and that's his smoking spot, he probably goes down there often. So wouldn't there have been a good chance he would have come across or heard something odd happening down there over the days leading up to that moment? Like hearing the girls from a distance? Assuming that this took place over multiple days.[/SPOILER}

9. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Was hoping to enjoy this but honestly wasn't a big fan. James McAvoy was great but the girls' acting was pretty bad at times. Idk, just didn't quite hit home for me. I also have never seen Unbreakable so the ending didn't make sense at all

10. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

The ending is a twist? I didn't think of it as a big reveal or anything. Then again, I haven't seen that

11. Ureleated but oh wow man I'm loving that new avatar

ChaseTx likes this.
  12. This was a decent movie elevated by James McAvoy's performance. His acting ranged from extremely expressive to subtle and subdued, and it was a marvel to watch. I thought Anya Taylor-Joy was great as well. After this and The Witch, I'm a fan.

I guess I'll spoiler tag all of this jic.
    I think the overall message of the film is moving and insightful, but I see the validity in ableist arguments against it as well, so it's just weird trying to reconcile those two sentiments.

The Unbreakable connection made me lose my shit. Now I want to re-watch that movie immediately.

13. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Was it the writing that made it just "decent" to you? I couldn't imagine anyone disliking the cinematography.

14. Ya my issues were with the narrative. The scenes with the doctor felt like exposition dumps and were sort of momentum/tension killers. Also, the doctor's behavior towards the end felt like a horror/thriller cliche.

15. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Honestly my favorite thing about this movie was how they did the opening credits lol.

16. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Box office numbers are $55 million in the first week. Really impressive. I'd imagine that Blumhouse and Shyamalan will continue to team up.

17. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

As long as he keeps the budgets low, I think Shyamalan found his sweet spot.

18. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I liked the doctor scenes. Broke up the tension, plus we didn't get to see that identity in the other scenes

I don't remember the upcoming credits

I kind of compare this in my mind to 10 Cloverfield Lane (which I loved). This isn't quite as good but still great

trevorshmevor likes this.
  19. timcsheehan

Regular

McAvoy was superb. Seems like a role that could have been really easy to overact, but i think he walked that line well.

20. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Box office now at $100 million

21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'll certainly watch a sequel

22. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm actually kinda really excited to see this

23. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Decided to check this out after work this afternoon; the theater down the street is only $5 on Tuesdays. Always get anxious going to the movies solo (I'm weird and have pretty bad anxiety anyway), but I'm hoping the snow that's going to start this afternoon will keep some people away.

24. dlemert

Trusted

Didn't love it but really liked it. It didn't really go in either of the ways I thought it would, which is still ok. Still glad to see Shyamalan's moving in the right direction again.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  25. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

this was a great kickoff to 2017, a year that i have a TON of movies im looking forward to (and thank god cause i fucking hated 2016 so much).

the son of a bitch did it again at the end!