Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Split (M. Night Shyamalan; January 20th, 2017) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by jkauf, Jul 27, 2016.

1. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Though Kevin (James McAvoy) has evidenced 23 personalities to his trusted psychiatrist, Dr. Fletcher (Betty Buckley), there remains one still submerged who is set to materialize and dominate all the others. Compelled to abduct three teenage girls led by the willful, observant Casey (Anya Taylor-Joy, The Witch), Kevin reaches a war for survival among all of those contained within him—as well as everyone around him—as the walls between his compartments shatter apart.

2. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Sounds interesting, could be good but it is still Shyamalan. McAvoy looks like he's having a blast though.

3. Interesting, but I can't get too excited for it.

4. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

this looks great

5. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Trailer is promising

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

7. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

not here for it

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

yeah it feels like the most ableist portrayal of DID, especially after United States of Tara was so great

I get why McAvoy would do it, obvs it's a fun role to play

Contender and EngineDown like this.
  9. Kinda can't wait for this haha

10. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

January release date... I'm pretty skeptical that this is any good.

11. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

AV club said good things about this I'm pretty sure and The Visit was fun, I'll stay cautiously optimistic

ChaseTx and Fronnyfron like this.
  12. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Pretty sure this is going to be good

13. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Looks like a lot of fun.

January movies are becoming less of a dumping ground and more of an opportunity to put out decent stuff and earn big rewards thanks to no competition.

ChaseTx likes this.
  14. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Yeah after The Visit I have high hopes

15. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I did not like The Visit.

16. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I loved it. Such a fun movie

Aaron Mook and a nice person like this.
  17. Just got back from seeing this. It was great.

trevorshmevor and a nice person like this.
  18. Seeing it tomorrow. Very excited

a nice person likes this.
  19. michael_gatto

Trusted

I've seen it twice now and I actually love it. I'm shocked at how much I enjoyed it. McAvoy and Taylor-Joy are both fantastic.

20. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I'm intrigued now that it's a 77% on RT and a 7.6 on imdb (although that will go down). Thought this was going to be brutally bad. Also doesn't help that it's PG-13.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Read the ending and feel like i absolutely need to see it now.

22. trevorshmevor Jan 20, 2017
    (Last edited: Jan 21, 2017)
    Just got back from this. Holy shit, McAvoy was unbelievably good. What an outstanding performance, the end with his head through the cell bars as the Beast was absolutely haunting.

Casey's backstory was laid out really well and I love the way it wound up affecting the main story. The stuff with her uncle was gut wrenching. Truly did not expect to see a story like that in this movie. "Animals" made my heart sink.

Lastly, the ending went way over my head. I had to it look up haha. Never have seen Unbreakable, but it's a cool thing for anyone who has, I guess.

23. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

i didnt like this. saw it tonight. i thought it was decent until he started changing into the beast. i just felt like that was stupid. well, maybe i should just say it wasnt my thing. like when the lady tried to stab him and the knife broke, i couldnt get over that. also i hated the uncle more than anyone in the whole movie. wish he woulda died somehow lol.

thebloodhound, goation and fenway89 like this.
  24. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Really enjoyed this. Fantastic acting by James and Anya. The ending gave me chills.

25. John Lopiano

aka Broken Parachute Moderator

McAvoy is so great in this. The surprise ending made it all worth it. Totally didn't see that coming.

a nice person likes this.