Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spiral: From the Book of Saw (May 14, 2021) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by oncenowagain, Feb 5, 2020.

1. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Hahah...wow, sounds classic. I've actually only seen the first 3 and Jigsaw, so maybe I'll put myself through the carnage.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  2. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Alright I finished the rest, outside of Spiral, today. Didn't realize how tonally different and just flat out strange and different Saw 3D is/was, it's really not good but there are some cool bits here and there.

Final ranking:

2, 4, 6, Saw/Jigsaw, 3, 5, 3D

ChrisCantWrite likes this.
  3. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

5 is the worst

Jbent likes this.
  4. Thought this was pretty easily the best made film of the franchise from a technical standpoint. You can't think about any of it too hard, and I knew about the twist going in, but the finger trap was brutal, and I enjoyed that this felt more grounded as a detective film than the others. Probably my third favorite Saw film after 2 and 4 in all honesty. (Again, the bar is low and I cannot in good conscience say it was "good" lol)

Edit: it's also hard to hate the first movie you see in theaters after 14+ months

ChrisCantWrite and tomtom94 like this.
  5. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I thought it was “good”. Not great or special by any means but good.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

this is wildly boring

7. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Still better than 5

Aaron Mook likes this.
  8. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Well…just finished this. I’m not even sure what to say. To mirror what @Aaron Mook said…it’s “technically” better than the earlier films, but holy shit I couldn’t have given a single fuck about anything that happened. Also, I found the reveal to be super predictable.

9. DarkHotline

The biggest problem I had was the Jigsaw clone, like not saying I don’t understand his motive because ACAB but at the same time, I felt like his traps were un-winnable and he was basically just Amanda, choosing revenge over redemption. That said, I think this was basically the setup to a new series/storyline imo, like making it a cat and mouse kind of thing with Chris Rock hunting down ACAB Jigsaw out of revenge. I dunno, just throwing shit at the wall here.

10. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

I don’t see how it could continue to go down this same path unless they further the copycat element and have all these other killers involved on larger scale (like, happening at Police departments around the country, which would be pretty cool I guess.) Like, Chris Rock KNOWS who this dude is now. How can he hide? At the end of the day I guess I shouldn’t be questioning the intricacies of a saw film. lol

Aaron Mook likes this.
  11. DarkHotline

I mean, the guy faked his death and skinned a dude to do it so he probably could find a way to hide if he wanted to. He could also train other people like Jigsaw did.

ChrisCantWrite and Aaron Mook like this.
  12. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Yea, I get it…maybe it’s that I just don’t buy the person in question being the mastermind.

13. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

I must be easy to please because I fucking loved this. I loved the focus on the characters and stories along with simplified traps compared to later iterations. The extra layer of humor by Rock really did it for me. It’s a a return to what I loved as comfort movies with Bousman back at the helm.

I don’t know if they plan another entry into the book of saw or Saw IX, but I’m interested to see if there is another move by the 20th anniversary in a few years.

14. ChrisCantWrite Jun 2, 2021
    (Last edited: Jun 2, 2021)
    ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

I will say...Rock was more than fine in this. He definitely exceeded my expectations in the role. I think part of the reason why the film felt unsatisfying to me is that it came out in May. I miss the whole, "If it's Halloween, it must be SAW," tagline.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  15. Yeah people hated Rock in this and I don't think he's an amazing actor but I honestly really enjoyed his performance here

16. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

I thought he was like painfully bad but more power to y'all who enjoyed him!

17. I binged the entire series to lead up to this (I'd only seen 1-5 previously), and I completely missed/forgot that there was a movie that came out in 2017 called Jigsaw lol. Guess I'll have to watch that one.

Spiral was fine. I think Rock's performance fits the tone of these movies.

airik625, Colby Searcy and Aaron Mook like this.
  18. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I laughed at more of his lines than was probably intended, but after this and his performance in Fargo, my perception of Chris Rock, the actor, has changed quite a bit.

19. Latest season of Fargo is still on my watchlist. I have to assume he's much better in that. I can't tell if he was going for hammy in Spiral or not.

20. jjnunn118 Jul 26, 2021
    (Last edited: Jul 27, 2021)
    jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Finally got around to this and good god the killers first line in this is I’ve been waiting for this since I was 12 years old

The second they said that I said out loud “oh they’re the killer this time”. Very well directed and shot, traps were gnarly, they got the classic “flashback to something that happened 5 minutes ago” that always happens in these movies. This honestly might have been my favorite if it wasn’t so painfully obvious from the start.

Contender likes this.
  21. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Colby Searcy likes this.
  22. People are saying they're NFTs lol

23. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Oh good lord

24. DarkHotline

“I want to play a game… with investing in fads!”

chewbacca110 likes this.