Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Persichetti & Ramsey; Dec 14, 2018) Movie • Page 29

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Jun 21, 2017.

1. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

any chance this gets a best picture nomination?

2. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

No shot. Super rare for an animated movie to get a best picture nomination and I don't think any have ever won. It's definitely getting a Best Animated Film nomination though

3. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Yeah, having a Best Animated Film category guarantees that it won’t get a Best Picture nom. A lot of great animated films have won/been nominated so it getting a nom in that is a feat itself.

4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Toy Story 3, Up, & Beauty and the Beast got Best Picture nominations. With all the positive buzz around this film, in a non-Black Panther year, I'd say the odds would be very high for a BP nom.

However, unfortunately, Black Panther's momentum is strong right now, and I can't see a reality where two films based on Marvel characters get nominated. Would love to be wrong, though. There's not a comic book movie in the past decade that deserves it more than Spider-Verse, imo.

It winning Best Animated Film will be good enough, I suppose. (If Isle of Dogs or The Incredibles 2 beats it... I won't be that surprised, but I'll be as disappointed as I can be at an Oscar choice.)

5. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Usually I’m cautious with putting comic book movies up with the best movies of the year because... usually they aren’t. But Black Panther and Spider-Verse both deserve that acclaim. With Fallout as well it was a pretty strong year for blockbusters. Except that dumb infinity war.

6. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

I'll be genuinely surprised if any Marvel movies get nominated, even if Spider-Verse absolutely deserves it.

7. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

This movie is much better than Black Panther imo. I liked BP but it's not really significantly better than any of the other MCU movies

8. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Infinity War still my fav movie of the year, lol.

This was a close second for comic book movies though.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  9. Nathan

Black Panther is a tragedy whose exploration of race and masculinity make it a hundred times better than any other Marvel movie.

jkauf and Aregala like this.
  10. Tim

Black Panther tackles some big ideas and has a very complex main character in Killmonger, so I wouldn't argue with anyone who considers it the top Marvel movie. But, for my personal taste and opinions, I put Guardians 2 (especially unpopular choice there for sure) & Thor: Ragnarok on the same level.

Guardians 2 seems to be lower tier Phase 3 Marvel for a lot of people, and I unfortunately doubt it'll be broadly remembered and celebrated a decade from now. But, honestly, it's currently my favorite live action comic book movie, period. I love its complex exploration of trauma and family. Outside of the bad treatment of Mantis, I think it handles those ideas with a ton of nuance and sincerity that is overlooked by people who don't connect with the goofiness. (Which, as someone who has a similar sense of humor even in my heaviest emotional situations, I vigorously push back against the idea that the humor undermines the emotions. I understand not everyone works the same way, but for my life experiences, it's very real.) I have a stronger emotional resonance with Guardians 2 than any other comic book film, and I think there's as much to unpack in how it depicts trauma as there is in something like Annihilation. Down to the way Peter is able to forgive Yondu for his abuse, and Nebula reconciles with Gamora, while still having Thanos and Ego as evidence that some relationships cannot and should not be mended. All wrapped up in a film that also has dumb low brow gags I appreciate, as well as some some fun multicolor spectacle.

Ragnarok has good stuff to talk about, too, but this post is long enough, and I wanna get some food. So, I'll just finish by saying Into the Spider-Verse brings me immense joy and deserves everything, and I love when I love movies, and when others love movies, and yeah.

:spiderman::peace:

11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Blade should have won best picture.

12. chris

Trusted Supporter

finally saw this and WOW

13. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Black Panther is definitely one of the finer Marvel films when it comes to narrative and themes, although, think it’s ironic how Killmonger basically acts and thinks just like a colonist would in Africa (this could have been intentional, though).

I really wish the sequel would be released in the summer because I just imagine the first one being a great summer flick whenever I watch it.

14. Nathan

Yeah could have been intentional.

But I really like Guardians 2 and Ragnorok as well. They’re top tier.

Tim and justin. like this.
  15. chris

Trusted Supporter

I think it was definitely intentional. He even uses a variation of the phrase "an empire on which the sun never sets" which has been used to describe the British empire/British colonialism

justin. likes this.
  16. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

It wouldn’t surprise me if it was intentional because Coogler is great at writing and seems to know the ins and outs of the world he was portraying.

Guardians is another film that sticks out sharply from the MCU because, I believe Tim has mentioned this before, Gunn knew how to deliver character development with it. Aside from Iron Man 1 and the first Avengers film, phase 3 is easily the strongest of the MCU when it comes to writing.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  17. chris

Trusted Supporter

Killmonger also worked with the CIA to overthrow foreign governments so they could install their own leaders. dude spends his military career abetting colonization then as soon as he takes power starts using the language

Anthony_ likes this.
  18. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I’ve always liked the line “he’s one of ours” quote from Ross. Like, of course. Lol

Kingjohn_654 and chris like this.
  19. Tim

Phase 1 started strong with Iron Man and ended with the successful Avengers experiment, but the in between felt limited by the shared universe experiment.

Phase 2 then felt weighed down by Avengers' success. I love Iron Man 3, but a purer version would've existed if it were made now. We missed out on Patty Jenkins doing Thor & Edgar Wright doing Ant-Man.

Phase 3 feels like Marvel mostly learning how to let filmmakers do their thing within reasonable brand limits. Which, I think moving Feige out from under Perlmutter & the success of Guardians might've helped that. And now, I think Waititi & especially award-nominated Coogler will help push them even further, especially once the Infinity Gauntlet narrative is resolved.

My most anticipated upcoming project from them right now is Chloé Zhao's Eternals. In Phase 2, she'd either drop off the project or be director in name only. (Which, it's Disney, so that can still happen.) But, while a blockbuster will never feel like The Rider & the action will probably still feel similar... I actually feel like her perspective will be able to bring something to the film.

20. Guardians 2 is absolutely beautiful and underrated. That final shot with Rocket. I've cried each time I've seen it.

Tim likes this.
  21. chris

Trusted Supporter

yeah Guardians 2 is great

22. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Guardians 2 is better than the first in nearly every way. I've never understood the people who don't like it.

ghostedaway and justin. like this.
  23. Guess I need to rewatch it then, I don't remember being blown away by it like I was with Ragnarok and Black Panther.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  24. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

It's pretty much even with it for me which is still a big compliment. Also the opening scene is so damn wonderful.

25. Tim

If you don't mind watching a half hour video essay, I agree with a good 90-something % of this excellent video:

AndrewSoup likes this.