Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spider-Man: Homecoming (July 7, 2017) Movie • Page 88

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by jkauf, Apr 13, 2016.

1. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

As Tim pointed out, Miles showing up soon would cause him to be with a 16 - 17 year old Peter which would be weird. It depends on what your idea of soon is

2. PauLo

43% Burnt

I guess it depends on when it's set, how old they'll want Miles to be etc. If he's doesn't show up in the next Spidey, he almost has to be in the 3rd one.

3. It's weird compared to the comics. But it's exactly what they do in the current animated series.

[​IMG]

4. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

I mean, how old was Peter in the Ultimate comics when he died? I don't think it'd be crazy if, at the end of the trilogy, he dies and Miles comes in

5. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

My knowledge of the animated series is low, but as long as they are around the same age in some format then Marvel Studios couldn’t rule it out. They seem to take influences from multiple sources.

6. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

My issue with young Miles alongside young Peter isn't that it's comic inaccurate or that it can't lead to a good story. I just REALLY don't want Marvel Studios to make Miles into Peter's side character instead of his own character.

Inevitably, if Marvel puts Miles in, say, 2019's Homecoming sequel, he will function as Peter's Rhodey/Falcon. If I knew that said film would be primarily Miles' story, I'd be fine with that, but they're too committed to this high school Peter trilogy. As a result, I'd begrudgingly rather wait for this trilogy to end for Miles in the MCU as a main character than have him float around like Black Widow has thus far. Besides, with the likely fantastic Enter the Spider-Verse coming out this December (hopefully creating a new, young crop of Miles fans), it's not like I need to settle for less to get him sooner.

And, just to reiterate, my comments about waiting are not the same as that nonsense claim that we needed Peter first. I'd like to believe I've made my rejection of that crap very clear. I'm simply operating within my preferences with what's already in motion.

But, like, imagine how awesome this would've been: Instead of young Peter, the Spider-Man in Civil War is an adult Peter (maybe even played by Andrew Garfield, but I know they wouldn't be willing to do that). His relationship to Tony is closer to a peer relationship. The post credits scene with Spidey's suit would be replaced with a Miles Morales scene. Then, Spider-Man: Homecoming would be structurally basically the same, but with Miles instead of Peter, and adult Peter in the mentor role instead of Tony. Miles would get his web-shooters from Peter like in the comics, and that'd be what is symbolically taken away in the third act. The final scene with the press conference would have to be replaced with something pretty different, but hey, maybe we could've done something similar insofar as introducing MJ kinda like how Pepper showed up.

Anyways, in the meantime, Miles isn't the only web-slinger who could spice up the Homecoming sequel. Let's get Silk in there! We already have a "Cindy" in Homecoming and I think Infinity War (played by a Chinese actress, even though Cindy Moon is of Korean descent, because Hollywood still finds Asians interchangeable). That choice alone would do a ton of good for that movie.

7. :clap: :clap: :clap:

8. OH my god this sounds great.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  9. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Yup would watch Tim’s movie

RyanPm40 likes this.
  10. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

That...doesn’t sound bad and now I really want to see Andrew Garfield as an older and more mature Peter mentoring Miles. :/

RyanPm40 likes this.
  11. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Damn, @Tim, you need to work for Marvel. That would've been perfect.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  12. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

My only switch would be Tobey Maguire as old Spider-Man. I know a lot of this thread hates him but it’d be a symbolically resonant casting as, like them or not, the Maguire movies helped define and usher in the current superhero movie climate, plus if you really hate Maguire’s Parker you’d at least potentially get to see him die.

Davjs and Raku like this.
  13. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

Lol maybe we’ll get a live action Spider-Verse some day and Maguire and Garfield’s Parkers will be hanging out in their own universes and they’ll give us the closure with those versions of Peter we never got.

Raku likes this.
  14. Fuck no to Tobey. He is horrible.

15. Tim

True, but "you’d at least potentially get to see him die" is a pretty compelling argument. lol.

16. He made me feel like dying in Gatsby does that count?

Tim likes this.
  17. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Tobey's ugly cry face is so atrocious, if I had to witness his "dying" face I'll probably be scarred for life

18. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

See, I thought he was a good Peter but a bad Spider-Man while Andrew was the opposite.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  19. I hate him (as both) with the fire of a thousand suns.

slimfenix182, Tim and DarkHotline like this.
  20. DarkHotline

Be careful, he could try to sign up here but see that and get his feelings hurt. Imagine the tears in his Bambi eyes.

21. This fuels me.

DarkHotline likes this.
  22. DarkHotline

Now I want to try and coax him to sign up.

23. Tim

I've revisited Spider-Man 2 I think twice in the past year or so, and every time I get more frustrated by the awful leads. Most of what surrounds them (JK Simmons, Alfred Molina, Raimi's personality, Elfman's score) is wonderful, but both leads are terribly miscast and not written well.

When people say that Maguire was a better Peter Parker than Garfield, I sometimes wonder if their only exposure to Spidey is the works of Raimi, Ditko, and Slott. Which, I appreciate Ditko for literally being one of his creators, and Slott for taking him in really weird directions that still feel true to the character.

But, and I'll probably say this multiple times a year until I die... For most of Spider-Man's history, starting with John Romita Sr, Pete does not read anything like Maguire. He's not uncool. He's unlucky and burdened by responsibility, but he's intelligent and charming. Flash Thompson was for a long time the only one who didn't see him that way.

Jason Tate likes this.
  24. Tim

Speaking of Spidey sequels, you know what doesn't get enough credit? The score to ASM2. I especially love the character's main theme at the beginning. So fun, and so very Spider-Man.

Jason Tate likes this.
  25. Aj LaGambina

Hey man, we all can't be like you Supporter

Meh. It's a VERY Hans Zimmer sounding score, so much so that it takes me out of the movie. Also the "electro" itsy-bitsy-spider thing is the WORST.

Every once in a while you can make out Johnny Marr's work, and that does make up for some of the above flaws.