Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spider-Man: Homecoming (July 7, 2017) Movie • Page 87

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by jkauf, Apr 13, 2016.

1. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Completely agree, even though I really like Tom Holland. I'm still hoping they'll go the utimate route and kill Peter off. Infinity War would've made a lot of sense to do it in, but that clearly won't happen if there are future standalones already confirmed.

2. Animated movies are always interesting, box officewise, but I'm extremely ready for it.

Nyquist likes this.
  3. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Because I'm incredibly petty - this did not end up beating the worldwide gross of Spider-Man 3, heh. Don't remember who was saying it was a guarantee but... didn't happen.

Watched this again recently. Tom Holland is obviously good but there isn't much here to love

4. Domestically, it didn't beat any of the first three either.

PS: Found that post.

5. Nope.

oakhurst, Tim and Greg like this.
  6. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

It drops on my birthday and the only gift I need is for it to be good.

Tim and Jason Tate like this.
  7. I feel like there's no chance it's not good. It's got so many good things going for it.

Christian Romero likes this.
  8. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Are we completely sure that Disney/Fox received the rights to use Miles in the MCU and that he still isn’t stuck with the other Spider-Man characters under Sony? If Tom wasn’t already spotted on the Venom set, I would say it would be a smart move for Sony if they wanted a Spider-Man in their Sonyverse (that is if Tom just isn’t used to hand the mantle to Miles).

The animated Miles movie is completely under Sony and Colombia Pictures.

9. If Disney wants to use Miles does anyone think they wouldn’t be able to write a check and do so? Really?

10. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

If it wasn’t connected to the MCU then I wouldn’t have cared for it as much. The Avengers/Damage Control/Tony and Happy Hogan stuff made it pretty enjoyable for me.

11. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I wasn’t asking if Disney would be able to write a check. I was just asking if there have been any reports specifiying where the rights for Miles are currently at. The Sonyverse and Columbia/Sony being in charge of the animated Miles movie makes me think the rights for the character may still be with Sony but I haven’t read anything regarding it. If Sony still has the rights then chances are they have big plans for the character in their own universe which would take more than a check.

12. The prevailing theory is they have the rights to Miles since he was created after the Sony deal, but they probably couldn’t use the name Spider-Man with him unless they paid. But if Sony agreed to Peter, it’s silly to think they wouldn’t with Miles (given his obvious nod and flat out stolen bf in HC).

(And animated and live are under different deals.)

13. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Okay, that makes sense. Nervous sweat is over with.

14. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

This movie felt so fucking long

Forgot that I felt that way about it until the recent posts above

15. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I adore 4 out of the last 6 MCU films, but man, this one was... ok. Very ok. [insert Garfield/Webb praise here]

The Miles Morales animated film could legitimately become my favorite comic book movie of all time. I'm just that big of a Spider-Man fan and that hungry for a movie with the character that I can love without a bunch of asterisks attached. And, yeah, Peter instead of Miles will always be a mistake.

My one dilemma, now that we're stuck with this high school Peter trilogy, is that as desperate as I am for Miles in live action, I'm also desperate for a Spider-Man movie that actually does the whole Lee & Romita era/Spider-Man: Blue thing for once. That's still my personal definitive Spider-Man. I want Peter, MJ, Gwen, Harry, Flash, maybe Randy Robertson, etc., all hanging out at the Coffee Bean and the Silver Spoon Cafe. All as college students with the hots for each other. Maybe they could find a way to combine that organically with a young Miles Morales mentee?

Speaking of Sony movies, still super hyped for Venom.

Dodger and Jason Tate like this.
  16. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

True. I have enjoyed Miles on the current Spider-Man show, so I’m just stoked on the character in general right now.

17. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I think Miles in a live action movie is very probable, but not until at least another Tom Holland centric movie is completed. Maybe more.

18. Tim

Holland's initial contract was for 3 Spider-Man films and 3 other films. And, Feige has described these new Spidey films as a trilogy set in three consecutive years of high school. The second film is scheduled for July 2019, and it seems reasonable to assume the third chapter (with his high school graduation) would then come in summer 2021.

So, unless they team a young Miles with a still young Peter (which would be an awful choice), we probably won't see live action Miles in the MCU any sooner than like 2023 or 2024. Assuming, of course, that the MCU still exists then in a capacity comparable to now.

If all of Marvel Studios' output continues to be a relatively reboot-less shared continuity, and assuming they continue to have access to Spidey, I'm guessing they'll keep Miles in their back pocket for now. After all, everyone in Hollywood seems pretty freakin' stuck on a high school Spider-Man. Introducing Miles is a way to sort of reboot the character again without really rebooting. That world keep that youngster itch taken care of until close to 2030.

carrytheweird likes this.
  19. I hope Marvel hangs on to Glover so they can make that transition smoothly in universe. Would love to see them take a risk and kill Parker and have Miles be a big part of a new phase.

20. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I honestly can't remember a thing about this. Probably the least memorable MCU film in a good while.

JungleBungle300 likes this.
  21. Tim

I can't imagine a world where they kill Peter (instead of finding a way to introduce Miles without doing so that honors the character's origin), unless the future of the Marvel/Sony deal is uncertain during the development of their third Holland film.

In that case, they could have an ending for that film ready where he dies in battle. Then, if the business relationship breaks down, there's an explanation for Spidey's departure. And, if they're able to negotiate after the film is finished, they have the groundwork laid for introducing Miles. Bendis brought Ultimate Peter back before Secret Wars brought Miles over to 616, so this approach could still lead to an eventual older Peter return.

Jason Tate likes this.
  22. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

It should've been Miles Morales 100 percent, still hoping they somehow correct that soon, but I actually enjoyed this more than most Spiderman movies tbh.

23. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

And much as Miles would have been cool to see. We all knew there was no way Kevin and the rest of Marvel were not going to have Peter Parker. To see him interact with the Avengers was something that Kevin wanted ever since the first Iron Man film.

IATAvalanche likes this.
  24. PauLo

43% Burnt

Peter Parker is too much of an iconic comic character for them not to start with him. Outside Superman and Batman, he is easily one of the biggest superheroes in the world.

I definitely want to see MM down the line, though. BP's success may even speed up his introduction. Fingers crossed.

IATAvalanche likes this.
  25. And they were clearly wrong to assume past size of superhero’s matters at all.