Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Jon Watts, July 2, 2019) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by GBlades, Aug 1, 2018.

1. GBlades Aug 1, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 1, 2018)
    GBlades

Trusted

[​IMG]

Premise

After the events of the untitled Avengers film, Peter Parker and his friends go on summer vacation to Europe.

Cast

Tom Holland as Peter Parker / Spider-Man: A teenager who received spider-like abilities after being bitten by a genetically-modified spider.
    Michael Keaton as Adrian Toomes / Vulture: An incarcerated salvager-turned-arms-trafficker who uses a suit with mechanical wings forged from Chitauri technology.
    Zendaya as Michelle "MJ" Jones: One of Parker's classmates.
    Marisa Tomei as May Parker: Peter's aunt.
    Jake Gyllenhaal as Quentin Beck / Mysterio: A special effects expert who uses his talents to create elaborate illusions to commit crimes.
    Additionally, Jacob Batalon, Tony Revolori, and Hemky Madera reprise their roles as Parker's best friend Ned, Parker's rival Eugene "Flash" Thompson, and Mr. Delmar, the owner of a local bodega, respectively.
    Numan Acar has been cast as Dimitri, while J. B. Smoove and Oli Hill have been cast in undisclosed roles.

2. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Well alright

3. Davjs

Trusted

Vulture will be back!? Cool!

Jonathan and RyanPm40 like this.
  4. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Nice.

5. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Here for it

6. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I was wondering when Gyllenhaal would come into the MCU. It was only a matter of time.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  7. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Hope it's far better than Homecoming.

Dreading the inevitable Mysterio redesign.

8. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Seriously. It's one of those designs where they really don't need to change anything, but you just know they're going to anyways. Hoping they don't mess it up, I'm so excited to have him in a movie finally

Jdaniels and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  9. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Really? What didn't you like about it? Personally, I've enjoyed Tom Holland's Spider-Man more than any of the others – and Homecoming was such a fresh take on the source material, which I dug.

I wonder if it'll be more than a cameo.

10. tvck

Trusted

Queue the tightest spandex with a motorcycle helmet with hints of purple and green.

or a dude with a hoodie, jeans, and fishbowl

11. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

this movie is bad if there are no ''fish bowl'' cracks.

12. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Mysterio will actually be Daftpunk

13. tvck

Trusted

if you're not careful, they'll steal your idea.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  14. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I want JB Smoove to be Chameleon.

St. Nate and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  15. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I think J.B. Smoove would be a good J Jonah Jameson but I don’t think the Daily Bugle covers news in London so

Ryan and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  16. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Ooh that'd be good!

17. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

This is far and away the second most excited I am for another Spidey movie

RyanPm40 likes this.
  18. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

So Gyllenhaal is confirmed? I keep just seeing that he's still in talks but I would love to see him in this

19. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

He is in London right now and has been since filming started.

tdlyon likes this.
  20. GBlades

Trusted

I'm pretty excited for Spider-Man to interact with Fantastic Four at some stage. I'm also more excited for the Spider-Verse movie, mainly since we have more information.

Jason Tate likes this.
  21. Tim

Like, sometimes I dig updated costumes. I'm on record as being a fan of the Vulture design in Homecoming. But, Mysterio's design is perfect, one of the best villain designs in all of comic book history, and it 100% can work in live action. I want someone to tie Jon Watts down, show him Black Manta in the Aquaman movie, show him Steve Ditko's original Mysterio design, and yell, "It's not broken! Use it!"

But, yeah, they're totally gonna do some kinda Daft Punk looking crap, guaranteed.

As an Iron Man movie spinoff, it's fun, with some effective moments and some small issues. As a Spider-Man film, though, for me personally, it really just fails in some pretty important ways.

Tony Stark has way too much of a presence. He's not in that many scenes, but his specter haunts the whole project. Peter's entire motivation throughout the entire film is bent around impressing Stark, which... just isn't Spider-Man. There's more "great power/responsibility" in his small Civil War appearance than the entirety of Homecoming.

And, on that note, completely leaving Uncle Ben out of this whole iteration so far is garbage. Yeah, sure, we don't need to watch him die again. But, characters are more than costumes. There's a reason the comics constantly mention Uncle Ben. This is most clear in the rubble scene, which recreates an iconic Ditko/Lee moment with initially a surprising amount of desperation. In the comics, what makes him lift the rubble is remembering how he failed his uncle and fearing that he'll now fail and lose his aunt. Obviously adaptations shouldn't always be exact, but by replacing that motivation with a desire to win Tony's approval, all sense of responsibility is stripped from the character.

This is my biggest issue, but a close second is admittedly a more surface level complaint, albeit one that ties into the same character neutering at the hands of Iron Man. That issue is his costume. I was mostly happy with it in Civil War, even though it was a clear step down from ASM2's costume; the CGI aesthetic felt off, but besides the unnecessary black bars, the design was comic-book-y and alright. Watching that animated costume for a whole movie got rough, though, and the other additions in Homecoming just sucked. Webbed armpits rule. But, the Jarvis knockoff? Technology throughout? Freaking "kill mode"!? Yeah, it sucked. I like tech variants for Spidey (the Infinity War costume is great), but the main costume needs to be grounded. It needs to be fabric that needs stitched and gets dirty, done without animation.

All that said, I don't hate the movie. I'm vocal about my complaints because the praise for Marvel "fixing" Spidey is frustrating, and also because the MCU model means it'll be years before this can possibly get corrected. But, in and of itself, it's really the same kind of mixed bag that every Spider-Man film before it was.

I do love Tom Holland. He's a close second best live action Peter Parker (below Andrew Garfield), and the best at selling a high school version of Peter. The Vulture was the best Spider-Man movie villain besides maybe Doctor Octopus. The high school cast of both students and teachers is awesome; I especially love Zendaya's "MJ" character. This Aunt May, while a weird reinvention with annoying "she's hot" jokes, is really great. Lots of cool comics stuff sprinkled throughout.

But, if I want to soak in live-action Spider-Man, Homecoming isn't the one I'll go with. And, it's a bummer knowing that, even if (or should I say when?) Tony dies in Avengers 4, this film will still be handcuffed to these decisions. The soonest I could possibly get the Spider-Man film I want is MAYBE the 3rd film in this series, and even then, who knows?

Thank goodness for Into the Spider-Verse, which looks to be the first truly great Spider-Man film. That thing is on track to be my favorite movie of 2018 and my new favorite comic book movie of all time. And, it could beat the first Amazing Spider-Man for the most times I see a movie in theaters.

22. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

CBM posted this last month, which I think is so cool and fits the MCU.

[​IMG]

airik625 and tvck like this.
  23. GBlades

Trusted

That's some Bioshock-level looking Mysterio shit, and I like it.

tvck likes this.
  24. Tim

For the record, the best Spider-Man film is found by putting Amazing Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man 2, and parts of Spider-Man 2 (hold the Maguire) in a blender.

Though, the real best Spider-Man movie that could exist in any reality? Follow the basic structure of Spider-Man: Blue by Loeb & Sale. There is no big bad; the A-plot is about Peter in college in love, with Spidey action against a wide range of classic villains sprinkled through. (Make Mysterio one of them, and adapt the Ditko design verbatim. Really, every costume is taken from either Ditko or Romita, because those designs are flawless.) The main film feels like a Noah Baumbach/Greta Gerwig film, while the Spidey action vignettes feel like a collaboration between David Leitch and Diablo Cody. Peter, MJ, Gwen, Harry, and Flash are all played by actors in their 20s who are quite charming and good looking. Memorable soundtrack.

Jonathan, Whalejaw and RyanPm40 like this.
  25. Henry

Moderator Moderator

The best Spidey film already exists, ma dude.