Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Jon Watts, July 2, 2019) Movie • Page 11

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by GBlades, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Yeah, the Russos stated they specifically selected the characters that would vanish as an impact on the other characters' arch (main Avengers). And in that sense, it played out beautifully.

coleslawed and Davjs like this.
  2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

is dis spam

CarpetElf likes this.
  3. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Also it’s very wrong

CarpetElf and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  4. GBlades

Trusted

I want some of whatever you're having.

Kingjohn_654 and coleslawed like this.
  5. Davjs

Trusted

I mean, if the timelines actually lined up, I think it could be clever and nice tie in, but no way that makes any sense.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  6. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Can't wait for this thing, so excited. Also just saw Spider-Verse, and I'm still reeling from that scene in the beginning.

7. Landrick Robert

Stay Gold

So I'm guessing The Snap gets undone and no one remembers it happened?

8. That’s what I thought watching this.

I really wish instead of this movie coming out we had something in the past (Black Widow/Hawkeye woulda been cool) so we could go into Endgame with as little info as possible.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  9. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

That would have probably happened but sony wanted a spidey film in 2019.

10. I thought this was in between Homecoming and Infinity War?

11. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

If Nick Fury is in "Endgame," then it's pretty crazy Samuel L. Jackson is in a superhero movie every other month through July.

Kingjohn_654 and RyanPm40 like this.
  12. Davjs

Trusted

I thought this took place after Winter Soldier, before Iron Man 2 and during Ant Man and the Wasp.

Kingjohn_654, Alba and DrAlanGrant like this.
  13. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I don't think it's spoiling Endgame. But it makes a very predictable storyline, even more predictable. I would have liked Marvel to go whisper quiet through Endgame, because I think that would have made it more compelling. This doesn't "ruin" anything but if they really leant into it in the marketing it would have made it better.

Like how they didn't post the name of Endgame, you found out through watching the trailer. It would have improved the payoff.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  14. Yeah that scene shocked me.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  15. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

The trailer had 130 million views the first 24 hours which makes it the highest viewed Sony and Spider-Man trailer ever.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  16. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

a couple months after endgame iirc

Kingjohn_654 and RyanPm40 like this.
  17. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Man, I just completely disagree, very much so. lol.

You can't make a story more predictable when it's already at 100% certainty. You just can't. It's capped off. The characters killed in the snap are coming back in Endgame. All of them. If they'd gone radio silent, and if they hadn't even initially announced Infinity War as a two-parter, it still would've been absolutely certain.

It's not a question of "if," but of "how" (and even that has things that can be guessed with a decent about of certainty, tbh). That's where that decision works or doesn't, and that's something this trailer says nothing about.

And, seriously... If they leaned any more into pretending everyone is completely dead than they already did, it would have been so much worse, lol. I'm already exhausted by that nonsense. I already made this comparison in this thread about something else, but it's "he's not playing Khan" all over again, which is tiring, insulting, and just lame. The people in the audience who aren't 9 years old or brand new to serialized genre adventures... already know. Play with THAT obvious truth, instead of trying to make me buy into something that I'm not dumb enough to buy into.

18. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I kinda like whenever they say the characters are dead for good. I know they’re trying to misdirect the people that don’t keep up with what films are being released. I find the whole thing fun.

19. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

So Sam Rockwell is coming back as Khan.......Im sold.

CarpetElf likes this.
  20. “I like when bad writers lie to cover it up. It’s fun!”

Now that’s a take I didn’t expect.

The issue is with the bad cliche writing first, the lying about it to “misdirect” just makes it dumb cause it treats the audience like we’re all idiots.

21. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

:shrug: I just thought the ending of Infinity War was terrible and literally anything other than what they're currently doing would have made it a bit more passable.

Jason Tate likes this.
  22. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Funny enough, I have a lot of story complaints with Infinity War, but the ending, in and of itself, isn't one of them.

I have no problem with deaths that the characters think are real but the audience knows isn't. Claremont did that in his X-Men run, and I was able to feel for the characters while still knowing they'd be reunited. (I'm also reminded of Han at the end of Empire, though it's not totally the same thing.) That's fine storytelling. Like, Spidey's death w/ Tony & Okoye's response on earth are pretty moving as is.

If Infinity War had kept the name "Infinity War Part 1," and the story leading up to that conclusion had been stronger, it would've been fine. But, the filmmakers' kayfabe is obnoxious to me. It's the same problem as people's STUPID obsession with spoilers. To much obsession with plot and surprises (even though, when you get something as surprising as Last Jedi, people then panic that it didn't hit enough predictable beats).

(Side note: I'm not saying Infinity War should feel like half a movie. But, it can be half of a bigger story. There's a subtle difference there. It's a hard balance that, even when successful, isn't for everyone. Which is part of why they should've kept "Part 1." But, it's possible.)

23. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jonathan, Letterbomb31 and Davjs like this.
  24. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Are they fanart?

25. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Official