Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Jon Watts, July 2, 2019) Movie • Page 60

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by GBlades, Aug 1, 2018.

1. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Not sure if this was a joke, but it was only 5 years with a gap between 2007 and 2012

Kuri44 likes this.
  2. PauLo

43% Burnt

There wasn’t a Spider-Man film in 2012. Nor was there one in 2014 either.

Zilla likes this.
  3. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Leave my precious ASM films away, you monster.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  4. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

The ASM movies are great I'll die on that hill

RyanPm40 likes this.
  5. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

The first ASM was okay

Christian Romero and Greg like this.
  6. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

At least we can all take solace in the fact that Sony since 2014 has 100% known what’s best for the character.

7. Tim

If by that you mean releasing the second worst Iron Man film & slapping "Spider-Man" on it, then sure, but I don't know what poor Peter has done to anyone to deserve that fate.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  8. Anthony_

:crylaugh::crylaugh::crylaugh:

9. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

That Iron Man film only had Tony in it for 5 minutes of screen time though

10. Tim

I mean, there have been Iron Man comics centered on Rhodey, Arno Stark, Riri Williams, Doom, & probably others that I'm forgetting. I know RDJ's version has been defined by "I am Iron Man," but I wouldn't really define how Iron Man something is by how much you see him personally onscreen.

Speaking of comics, it's funny how Slott's Worldwide run of ASM featured Spidey in a high tech suit as an international alleged bodyguard of Parker Industries' Peter Parker... which, wasn't my favorite version of the character, but it still felt more like Spider-Man to me than Iron Man, unlike this messy, dull film.

11. Eh I like this dull film and I personally think it does feel like a Spider-Man film. Sure he’s got more of a techy suit. But you’ve still got a kid struggling to find the balance between being Spider-Man and not being Spider-Man as well as dealing with the consequences of wearing the mask. That’s al Spider-Man to me. Sure I would love to see more of Peter struggling with money or him making his own suit, but I don’t think these MCU films throw out everything that makes Spider-Man, Spider-Man.

Garrett L. likes this.
  12. PauLo

43% Burnt

I think the MCU Spider-Man is easily the most accurate version of him that has been put on film. It’s hard to take the maguire ones seriously anymore and garfields cool, skateboarding Peter doesn’t feel like Peter at all.

13. TEGCRocco Dec 30, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 30, 2019)
    TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

That's kind of funny to me because that may as well be a copy-paste of what Iron Man was for decades. I do agree that MCU Peter isn't comic accurate (to Peter, he's pretty close to Miles but that's a whole other conversation), but come on

14. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

So based on that ending, the third one's got to be called "Spider-Man: Homeless" right?

15. Anthony_

I still like Spider-Man: No Place Like Home tbh

16. Tim

That's the funny thing about this to me. I don't love Slott's Spider-Man, but it did have some interesting ideas, & temporarily turning him into basically vintage Iron Man in the aftermath of Superior Spider-Man (also an interesting idea) actually more or less worked. Because it was built off years of power & responsibility, hard on his luck stories, & continued those threads into a new context that was intentionally contrasted w/ classic Spidey, it worked. Plus, it didn't ignore Uncle Ben, which is a talking point I refuse to abandon.

The recurring problem w/ this MCU Spider-Man is that he's been defined by his relationship to Tony from day one & literally never had to wrestle w/ Ben or anything else like that. I was thinking about this again recently because my TLJ-hating brother thinks my frustration w/ Peter is the same as his frustration w/ Luke, but I'd more so compare MCU Spider-Man to Snyder's Superman, while the bigger swings in the comics that I'm cool w/ are more like TLJ Luke. This isn't the same character as Tobey, Andrew, either Spider-Verse Peter, or anyone in the comics. We don't have to watch the literal spider bite & Ben death again, but we *do* 100% have to understand him as Spider-Man before we try recontextualizing him as something else, or it's just not Spider-Man. Or at least no more Spider-Man than a Funko collectable.

Anyways, I can't let myself stop hoping that the next one somehow fixes that, lol, even though nothing remotely hints at that happening any time soon.

17. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Spider-Man home like noplace is there

18. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Spider-Man: Homeboys

19. TEGCRocco Dec 30, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 30, 2019)
    TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

This doesn't bother me as much as it clearly bothers you, but it is definitely the most consistent problem with MCU Peter. He's by far been the one that's most impacted by the MCU's "everything has to be connected" mentality, likely because this is now the third live action version of the character, so they feel the need to differentiate him somehow. In the pursuit of that, I think they did leave behind a lot of what people identify with the character. I have no problem with them taking creative liberties with characters, and in general, I think the MCU has done a good job of improving or at the very least giving more interesting avenues for its characters, but a lot of what they've done with Spider-Man feels less like they had a cool, different idea for how to approach the character and more like they felt backed into a corner by the previous two film franchises and NEEDED to do something different.

I actually had a hard time really grasping this complaint about MCU Spidey until someone on either Twitter or Reddit said something to the effect of "Cyclops should idolize/want to be a leader because of Captain America" and then it immediately clicked in my head and I got it lol

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  20. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

Spider-Man: Give Miles The Suit Already

RyanPm40 and Mrplum5089 like this.
  21. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Spider-Man: Deliver the Suit to Miles’ Home

you forgot “Home”

22. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Finally got around to watching this and it was ok. JK Simmons as Jameson was funny and for not seeing Captain Marvel the ending was a little confusing.

23. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

The one part of the movie that really didn’t work for me was the toast scene that just dragged on for too long.

24. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

The only scene I didn’t really like was the “hit” Peter had on his classmate on the bus

25. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

I hate to be *that guy* but yeah, if you don’t watch the films in order (or all of them for that matter) some end-credits/mid-credits scenes may have callbacks you don’t pick up on. That said, Captain Marvel is fun and worth a watch. It’s not my favorite but falls about the middle of all the MCU films for me.

RyanPm40 likes this.