Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Jon Watts, July 2, 2019) Movie • Page 56

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by GBlades, Aug 1, 2018.

1. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

So, you're admitting that this isn't a big deal? That nothing is really being lost in the Spider-Man films by having this corporate relationship end?

3. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

There is a lot to be lost on both sides. Peter being is own hero is not one of them.

4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Can you please list what you can think of that will be lost? Just curious.

5. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Feige's guiding hand for quality control and the ability for Spider-Man to participate in crossover films are the major things that will be lost.

6. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

For Marvel, any potential storyline they had for Peter is thrown out of the window and after Far From Home it seems like they had an idea where to go and that he would be prominent moving forward. Now, any plans moving forward with Peter in any form of the MCU story is halted.

For Sony, it's clear that even though both parties are to blame, Spider-Man reverting back to Sony instead of vice-versa will have the mass population have a grievance towards them. Just taking a look at social media it seems most people think it's Sony to blame. A lot of what was building or seen in the past 5 films will also have to abruptly change in the next film. As in, no Stark suit, which would be good creatively, could be confusing to the audience. Peter being in the established MCU universe which is the biggest modern film franchise of all time and now being without connections in the potential future does not seem to be sitting well with a large amount of the audience as well. They made the mistake of making HC and FFH too integrated into the MCU so going separate just doesn't sit well.

7. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

My biggest thing is just how they can write it so that Peter is never around in the MCU again. Like unless they kill or incapacitate Peter somehow, it just makes no sense that he would just not help out the next time things go down. And the events of the MCU completely shaped this Peter. He is literally a product of them, so I don't see how they just drop that all now.

That being said, do we actually know for sure they can't reference any of the events that already happened or use things like the Stark suit? Like they always owned those movie right, so whatever was included in them is technically still theirs to use? I'll still watch the next Spider-Man movie, regardless of how this all shakes out, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it too, but I can't pretend it won't always bother me seeing a huge Marvel team up and Peter not being a part of it.

8. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Not sure how it would make no sense for Peter to not help out the next time things go down. The MCU movies do that regularly haha. There are so many movies where it's like "ya know, if Thor was here, this wouldn't even be a problem"

EDIT

Hell, that applies to both Spider-Man movies in the MCU already

disambigujason likes this.
  9. I see no reason he won't still have the (stupid) suit.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  10. Haha, yeah, it's such a comic trope at this point it happens all the time. In the comics it's always "so and so is off world doing _____" and it's kinda funny.

SpyKi and RyanPm40 like this.
  11. Anthony_ Aug 22, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 22, 2019)
    Anthony_

The MCU has the easier route, as they'll probably just pretend he was never around. For Sony, they'll have to gingerly write around a lot of things, like make sure to never mention the Blip or SHIELD ever again or where Peter got his suits from.

There's 0 chance Disney lets Sony reference anything that from the MCU going forward. They'll have lawyers going through subsequent Spider-Man movies with a fine-toothed comb making sure there are no references to anything from the MCU.

12. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I just assume Marvel may not let them use anything Tony related

13. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

These are both good things for me if we’re going by FFH and Homecoming.

Tim and RyanPm40 like this.
  14. Anthony_

For you. They're still major losses just in terms of "things Spider-Man isn't going to have anymore".

15. So, just don't mention his name and keep using the suit. They can't stop that.

mattfreaksmeout and RyanPm40 like this.
  16. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Well ya exactly, which is why it'll always bother me. It'll be an elephant in the room - ope everyone just forgot about Spider-Man don't ask about him.

Do we like truly know that though? Idk obviously I have no idea how the legality of these things work, but those events were already referenced in the Spider-Man movies owned by Sony.. so that makes them Sony's story too. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to reference the events of their own movies. I would think it's more that from this point they diverge, but whatever was explicitly mentioned in Homecoming or Far From Home are still fair game? But again, I know I could be completely wrong.

17. Deadpool makes MCU jokes all the time, let Spidey do the same. :crylaugh:

RyanPm40 likes this.
  18. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Yes? I said for me.

19. Anthony_

It'll only be the elephant in the room for audiences. In terms of the characters they just won't mention him and that will be that, you know? Like they'll literally just write future movies as if he was never around in the first place.

I obviously don't know the details of the original contract, but I assume that Marvel must have only given Sony a conditional license to use characters and other elements from the MCU for as long as there was a deal in place, just like Sony gave Marvel license to put Spider-Man in Civil War and Avengers. Now that that deal is done, I don't think Sony will be able to reference Tony Stark, Nick Fury, SHIELD, the Blip, or anything else like that. They'll kind of just have to ignore it all as well and just move on with the status quo from the end of Far From Home. I don't think anything will be fair game whether it was in the first two movies or not.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  20. Anthony_

Right but that doesn't make them not major losses. I guess I just don't understand what the point of you quoting me to say that was, except just to reaffirm your opinion that you personally don't like Homecoming or Far From Home.

21. I'd like to see the copyright vs free speech case go to the Supreme Court because Spider-Man referenced another Marvel character in a movie. :crylaugh:

Copyright laws are already dumb, and that would take it to a whole new level.

Tim likes this.
  22. Anthony_

I don't think you'd like to see that hypothetical case resolved by the current Supreme Court

justin. and RyanPm40 like this.
  23. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Can I just see a Peter is a smart dude that makes inventions and goes to school movie?

24. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Is Kevin Fiege “quality control” basically the MCU promise that most of their movies will be a solid C+/B-? I’m okay losing it

RyanPm40 likes this.
  25. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

It’s probably to maintain a level of narrative throughout and not so much the audience-given quality.