Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Jon Watts, July 2, 2019) Movie • Page 54

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by GBlades, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Is this a hot take? I think every film in that trilogy is much better than all MCU films.

justin. likes this.
  2. Lenin

Regular

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, definitely. There are a lot of MCU films better than TDKR though imo.

3. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

I don’t know how to react.

The Sony comic book movies (outside verse) since spiderman 2 have been subpar.
    I have read the revisionist ASM takes but feel like they are reaching to find something that isn’t there.

The MCU spiderman character is great, even if they got a tad carried away with the iron man love affair in his solo movies.
    It feels like Peter Parker down right.

Do I have confidence in Sony. No
    Can I not judge this before it comes out. Prob not.
    Would I give MCU a more leeway...yeah
    Are people really fans of the Venom film...my god.

4. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Completely disagree. I think Ragnarok is the only one that comes close as a film.

5. Lenin

Regular

I'd say Homecoming, The Winter Soldier, Civil War, The Avengers and Ragnarok are better or at least as good as TDKR.

6. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I have multiple Marvel Studios films higher in my personal rankings than the Nolan Batmans, but that's super specific to my tastes, lol. I also revisit TDKR the most out of that trilogy, so yeah.

Also, I saw ASM 5 times in theaters, the most for anything until Spider-Verse, so to whoever calls that revisionist, uh, no.

SpyKi and awakeohsleeper like this.
  7. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Yeah, I don't think Homecoming and Avengers are good films.

8. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i was. none of those movies are very good.

9. Nick Aug 21, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 21, 2019)
    Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

ASM2 came out here before the US and I said it was a better comic book film than anything in the MCU until that point. I still stand by that, so not really revisionist. I think ASM/2 are miles better than either of the Tom Holland films.

FWIW I only think two of the MCU phase 1 and 2 films are very good. Winter Soldier and GOTG. After them they seemed to let the directors handle the tone of the films more which led to better films in my view. The two Spider-Man films felt out of place in phase 3 and felt a lot more like phase 1, or early phase 2 MCU films

RyanPm40 and awakeohsleeper like this.
  10. Tim

2E9DB7FD-0BE7-48F2-85BA-305C53A143B8.gif

Also, you're right.

awakeohsleeper and Nick like this.
  11. justin. Aug 21, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 21, 2019)
    justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I absolutely loved TDKR for the first few months but after a few watches on blu ray it really hit me that BB and TDK are better in almost every way. TDKR is also better than a portion of MCU/Fox/Raimi films. Maybe not more enjoyable but the writing and emotion are both better.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  12. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Iron Man, Avengers, Winter Solider, Civil War, Ragnorak, Black Panther, Guardians 2 and Endgame are the films I would put above TDKR.

I would only put Guardians 2 and Avengers/Endgame at the level of TDK and BB.

13. Lenin

Regular

I completely agree with this!

Nick likes this.
  14. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

CA:TWS, Iron Man, Thor Rag and Avengers IW/EG I like more than most recent CBM films. The only films I would put in the same top tier category with the ones I mentioned would be TDK, BB and SM2.

15. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

My biggest gripe with TDKR is how most of the city shots are NYC instead of Chicago like the first two and it’s so distracting to me.

Alba likes this.
  16. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Mine is that it feels so distant from the rest of the trilogy. Too many new characters get the spotlight and the recurring characters are just depressed. It just doesn’t feel right. The middle also drags a bit after Bane takes over Gotham and the choreography is not that great.

Kyle Max likes this.
  17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'll watch Raimi's Spider-Man 3 over the second ASM any day. It's pure Raimi schlock and I love it.

18. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Guardians 2 is very very bad

phaynes12 likes this.
  19. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I walked out of Guardians 2 liking every character more than I previously thought. The scenes between Yondu/Rocket, Peter/Ego and Nebula/Gamora are great, imo.

20. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

If this continues much longer I'll rank every single comic book movie and you'll all be sorry.

21. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

What's stopping you

22. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Do it

23. Tim

Wow, this is somehow my least favorite take on comic book films' quality in this entire thread, congrats.

Leftandleaving, RyanPm40 and SpyKi like this.
  24. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Sony released an interesting statement regarding Feige suggesting that he may also be too busy to work on Sony's Spidey films.

“We hope this might change in the future, but understand that the many new responsibilities that Disney has given him – including all their newly added Marvel properties – do not allow time for him to work on IP they do not own. Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue.”

25. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Happy to help.

It’s by no means the worst MCU but I found very little enjoyment out of it and the humor was v bad.

Glad you and @justin. like it though!